Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default hawaii excursions

Anyone have any excursion suggestions in Hawaii in March? My husband has never been there before and I haven't been there in 20 years ------- so we are up for anything!

Kathy~

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Passenger

We too are thinking of a Hawaii cruise. We are open to any lines, any suggestions ?

David
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Nobody answered you guys, so I will try.

We have been to Hawaii twice, both on HAL (Statendam and Zaandam), and booked again with Princess (Golden).

All three times are in April. We book April because I am heat sensitive, and it's cooler then. However, the whales are finished migrating in March--no whale watching.

Our first time we did the Pearl Harbor tour, Volcanoes National Park, Ulelena evening theater (Maui), ???? other.

Last April we did Waves and Waterfalls tour, Little Circle Island tour, Seahorse Farm, Ulelena, other???

Our future cruise is a golf cruise for DH. He will be golfing in 3 ports, and I haven't decided what I will be doing.

Hope this helps.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Passenger

We did the 15 day on Diamond in 2007 and are doing it again in Oct. 2009.

Stay away from Sea Life Park in Honolulu. That was our fault and a waist of time.

On Kona we did Captain Zodiac snorkle tour. AWESOME !!!!!!!! It is too bad they omitted Kona as a stop.

Hilo we did the Ring of fire Helo ride. Again, AESOME!!!!

Kauai we did the Canyon and fern grotto tour. LONG day. It was ok but it was a LONG day on a bus.

Maui we did the waterfall Hike. It was also VERY cool.

We just LOVE the sea days and to us? Hawaii was a bonus.
There are some below if you are interested.
www.donndeb.com/cruise

Old December 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Oahu has the Polynesian Cultural Center they have all sorts of different packages some includes a show and dinner. All include entry into the villages. Depending on how long you are in port you can find a good package. I really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center.http://www.polynesia.com/hawaii-dinner-show.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Pearl Harbor is a must see in my book. Just so much history there. Captain Zodiac in Kona was a lot of fun also. Bob
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: hawaii excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesscruisers
Anyone have any excursion suggestions in Hawaii in March? My husband has never been there before and I haven't been there in 20 years ------- so we are up for anything!

Kathy~
In Oahu - you have to do the military tour to Pearl Harbor where you're taken onboard the memorial. It's phenomenal!!

If you have enough time in Maui I highly recommend the Heavenly Hana trip. It's a one-lane in most places road with tons of curves and bridges and the most incredible scenery in the world. I did the tour in '83 but hopefully they're still doing it

Have a great trip and Aloha!!!
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Yes, the road to Hana. A lot of fun! Bob
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Familiar Face

We loved our tour of Vocano Nat'l Park. It was breathtaking.

I agree that Sealife Park in Oahu was not worth the time. It may have been very nice at one time, but now it's just kind of sad and timeworn. We had a car, and we had been to Oahu before so we were just driving around the island, but I'd skip it if I went to Oahu again.

If you have time in Maui definitely do the road to Hana.
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Passenger

Maui: Not a ship tour usually, but we booked this ourselves: Haleakala Sunrise Tour--the most awesome excursion I have ever done! Haleakala Bike Co takes you to the top of the mountain at an ungodly hour and 30 degrees, but the sunrise is well worth getting up for. Then, if you choose, you bike down the mountain, which I wouldn't miss!

Also, we booked the Old Lahaina luau here becuase we were told it was the best. The show was great and the food was very good.

Kona: Captain Zodiac snorkle was one of the best snorkel and boat ride tours we have ever done:

Honalulu: don't miss sunset on Waikiki Beach at Duke's Canoe Club. Pearl Harbor is a must-see even if you are not history inclined!

Hilo: the helicopter tour over Volcanoe National Park was just alright
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Default Hawaii Excursions

Stay away from the Volcano National Park unless you are a geologist...it was totally boring and the hairpin turns to get there leaves you squeemish in the stomach. They also wasted waaaay too much time sitting at the lunch stop when we could have been shopping back in Maui.

The Ali Kai Catamaran was another dud! The Polynesian show that is advertised is performed by the wait staff!! Save your money and go to the Hilton or another local luau.

My favorite island was Kauai and to me the most beautiful. Did the Movies and Waterfalls tour and it was great. Also, the tour to Kileaua in Hilo was interesting and the Robert's Hawaii bus driver "Junior" was a riot!!

All in all we were underimpressed with Hawaii as a whole and the Golden Princess ship in general. I guess we're spoiled living in Florida, and the older ships seem to have more charm.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Familiar Face

We did this trip on Summit 2x, once as a repositioning cruise and once as a RT from LA. We liked the Volcanos National Park tour and found it very interesting. Bring jackets and wear long pants as it gets quite chilly in the mountains. And we were there in May. When we went in January, I did Captain Steve's whale watching tour which I booked on my own and saw lots of whales.

The Road to Hana tour is great but several people got carsick on the bus tour. I would rent a car if you have the time. On our first trip, we overnighted in Maui which was great. Forget the Old Lahaina Luau, it was overpriced and the food was better on the ship. Do one at one of the hotels in Oahu.

The Pearl Harbor tour is not to be missed. You can do this on your own as taxis are plentiful and it is actually free as it is a Federal Park. You are not allowed any bags or camera cases since 9/11.

We are sorry we missed the Polynesian Village both times. It is closed on Sunday (first time), and the second time we thought we could do it on our own but poor planning resulted in our missing a tour from the pier.

We went a few days early the first time since we started in Honolulu and went to the Aloha Bowl Flea Market. This is a great place to get the best prices on souvenirs.

The Circle of fire helicopter tour was great if expensive. I would recommend it. Felt very safe the whole time.

Make the most of your trip as it is not something you will do often, like the Caribbean. We did like the sea days the second time as it was a nice break from the hectic pace of the islands when you are trying to see and do as much as possible.

Both of my reviews are on this site. One for May, 2002 and the other January, 2006.