Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Passenger

Default Princess Platnium Status Question

I just attained Platnium status with Princess. I was reading this on their website. Can anyone elaborate or explain?

"Platinum Members Lounge
In recognition of your loyalty, and to make your last morning with us more enjoyable, we invite Platinum members to use the Platinum Members Lounge, offering light refreshments and peace while you await disembarkation.

Complimentary Internet Packages
Each Platinum Member will receive a credit towards the purchase of a package in our Internet Caf├ęs or on a personal laptop! Our current internet packages onboard have now been expanded fleetwide to include wireless internet!

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less (equivalent to 150 minute package) "

Are they saying Platinum members get 150 mins of free internet? Can you bring your own laptop and is internet service available in the cabins?
How do they track the time if you bring a laptop?
Does anyone know what this special lounge is for disembarking? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Familiar Face

The Platinum Members Lounge was a designated lounge close to the Photo Gallery when we sailed the Golden last year. Staff will check your cruise card to verify you're Platinum. Pastries, juice, fruit, and coffee were available. It was a relaxing break during our wait for disembarkation.

We didn't bring our laptop, but used the ships Internet Cafe. Connection was hit-or-miss and when connected, it was slow, slow, slowwww. The busiest day is the last day of the cruise, when passengers are scrambling to print their boarding passes for return flights home.

Congrats on reaching Platinum status!

Pixie Dust
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Familiar Face

Nothing can make you feel better when you disembark - but - if you must disembark the platinum lounge is a pretty nice place. It is quiet and not crowded at all with beverage and pastry service.

As far the the internet is concerned, I didn't bring my laptop so I don't know about that - I did however use the internet cafe - For me to say that it is extremely slow would be an understatement. I was happy to have the free service nonetheless.

Kathy~

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Congratulations on becoming Platinum. We really enjoyed our FREE $150 - 500 internet minutes on the Diamond last February. It was hard to use all the minutes on a 2 week cruise. We also enjoyed the PM lounge because it wasn't as crowded. We also noticed our Cabin Steward gave use more attention once he saw we were Platinum.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
First Mate

It's been reported that the new Ruby Princess internet service is much faster. We'll see shortly.
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Each person in the cabin with Platinum status will get the internet package. I get to use hubby's when I use mine up. I'm not sure about the newer ships, but I don't recall the other ships having in-cabin connections. There are wi-fi hot spots in various locations. You will see people in the atrium, on deck, etc. with theirs. Connections are very slow, as it goes through the ship's satellite. The good thing about using your own is that you can compose your email offline, then log in and send it, which does save minutes. If you don't want to haul yours, there are plenty to use in the internet cafe.

For the non-platinim members, the price is the same whether you use your laptop or their pcs.

The Platinum Members' lounge is a nice touch. It gets really crowded in the other public areas, often with no where to sit. At least here, you can sit in comfort to wait for your turn to disembark.

Enjoy!
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
Congratulations on becoming Platinum. We really enjoyed our FREE $150 - 500 internet minutes on the Diamond last February. It was hard to use all the minutes on a 2 week cruise. We also enjoyed the PM lounge because it wasn't as crowded. We also noticed our Cabin Steward gave use more attention once he saw we were Platinum.
Holy Canolli, so I get 150 free minutes of internet? Do they tell you that when you board or do you get a special card? If you don't use the minutes do you get any sort of credit on your room bill? I am going to the Panama Canal in January and the Ruby in March. It sure takes a long time to become Elite.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzerBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
Holy Canolli, so I get 150 free minutes of internet? Do they tell you that when you board or do you get a special card? If you don't use the minutes do you get any sort of credit on your room bill? I am going to the Panama Canal in January and the Ruby in March. It sure takes a long time to become Elite.
Believe me that 150 minutes isn't all that long when it comes to use on the ship. The speed is so slow that between downloading email, typing new messages & checking some new & weather it goes real fast.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Just got off the Island Princess to the Panama Canal for 10 days. The day I boarded I went to the internet cafe and signed up for my 250 free minutes plus an extra 30 minutes signing on that day. It cost me $100 (for an oceanview cabin and the 10 days) but shortly thereafter they gave me a $100 credit. They had a way of hooking up your laptop in the internet cafe but don['t know how that worked except the same cost.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Admiral

CruzerBoy,
If you are Platinum, you get a free $75 package with is 250 minutes of free internet. Since we were both Platinum, we received $150 free for a total of 500 minutes. We never experience or noticed extremly slow internet but it definately wasn't as fast as home We figured 30 minutes use a day was plenty to keep in touch with home and still had minutes left. Enjoy!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302