Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Default Reciprocity Fee in Santiago

My wife and I will arrive in Santiago, Chile on 3/30/09 for our Andes/S. America cruise, and I just found out that upon arrival, US citizens have to pay USD $100 (cash only) just to enter.

Has anyone else ever had this charge?
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Default What little I know - more questions

Hi--

I'm glad you asked that! I don't pretend to be an expert, but this is what little I know.

I don't know how recent this has been. I think it has something to do with "reciprocity" fees. Since the U.S now requires almost anyone coming into the country to have some kind of a visa (for which they have to pay), in return other countries are imposing the same type of requirements on U.S. citizens. I don't think you actually need a visa to get into Chile. At least on our cruise (which leaves from Rio), the cruise line has said we can use our Brazilian visa (which cost $140.00 per person, plus service fees to enter Chile. BTW - I worked with a very helpful visa service company in San Francisco, and had the visas within two weeks. In any case, while not requiring the visa, I think collecting the entrance tax is the Chilean government's way of getting their share of the tourism dollars.

Now, my question is: I've also heard that if you enter Chile by land or sea, but then fly out, you have to pay a departure tax at the airport to get out.

So, if anyone has additional information on how this whole thing works, how you pay, what currency, how much, etc. I (and I'm sure the OP) would appreciate your expertise.

Thanks!

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info. I also found out that the charge for Canadian citizens is USD $132 (CASH ONLY).

We are arriving in Chile by air to catch the Star Princess, and returning home to SF Ca.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Hey--

It sounds like you're doing the same basic itinerary we are, in reverse.
We'll be flying from Seattle to Rio (via Toronto) and cruising from Rio to Santiago on December 22. Then we'll fly from Santiago back to Seattle, again via Toronto. We're traveling on Princess for the first time. I can't wait to get out of grey chilly Seattle and get a two-week "fix" of summer and lots of daylight. It would be interesting to compare post cruise notes.

As far as the fee goes, I guess I'll just make sure I hold on to some reserve cash in case we need to pay to get out of Santiago. If we didn't pay, would they just let us stay there?

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:05 AM
First Mate

Hi Maestra,

I hope they do not charge you to leave. We are going there just to catch the ship. It will bring us back home to SF Ca.

I am sure will have a great time, we always do. I hope you have a great time as well.