Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default princess or RCCL?

My husband and I have sailed carnival and RCCL and now are considering princess. Between Princess and RCCL, Has anybody tried both and maybe can offer some insight. I tried to look at the princess ships on the web but it doesn't offer too many pictures. I'm just curious the pros and cons of each. I have heard that princess doesn't offer hot breakfast for room service if you don't have a suite. Is that true? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Princess is a bit more laid back than Royal Caribbean, a slightly better buffet in the Horizon Court and good meals in the dining room. I much prefer the entertainment on Royal Caribbean over Princess, especially their big shows and the ice show, just can't compare.

Not sure about the breakfast menu for room service though, sorry.

I'm a big Royal fan, but will cruise on Princess, especially to Alaska, great service and crew.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Other than the Balcony breakfast for $28, my recollection is that it was a mainly continental breakfast menu but what I used to do is run up to the Horizon buffet, pick up bagels, smoked salmon, cream cheese, fruit etc and bring it back to our room. i found this not only quicker but I got exactly what I wanted when it came to jam etc.
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Hey CCB,
Great idea, but coffee too!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Admiral

it really is hard to compare. I agree with Donna that Princess is better when it comes to food and service. Princess is a bit more mellow than Royal but thats not to say there there isn't plenty to do aboard. When it comes to getting a hot breakfast we have always just gone to Horizon Court or the dining room. Princess always has given me the feeling of being in a nice, classy hotel, casual yet elegant, but not stuffy at all
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Familiar Face

I like "any time dining" on Princess. Also seats location at the buffet are much better, you always find a table next to the window.
Big shows are not great on Princess, I stopped going there after a couple of days. Agree with Donna, ice shows on RCCL are unbelievable!
Also all activity on Princess is more for elderly folks, even though some of them in small showrooms are very good.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Captain

Default Re: princess or RCCL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith91303
My husband and I have sailed carnival and RCCL and now are considering princess. Between Princess and RCCL, Has anybody tried both and maybe can offer some insight. I tried to look at the princess ships on the web but it doesn't offer too many pictures. I'm just curious the pros and cons of each. I have heard that princess doesn't offer hot breakfast for room service if you don't have a suite. Is that true? Thanks.
I have not tried RCL but have sailed a lot on Celebrity, which is owned by RCL and Princess. According to most reviews Princess is quite a bit above RCL in the overall cruising experience. Although, I must admit that I would like to sail one of the RCL ships that offers ice skating shows. My opinion based on my experiences would be to try Princess as they offer, IMHO, an excellent and consistent cruising experience. The anytime dining choice is also one of the advantages that Princess offers, along with their well maintained ships.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanathecruiser
I like "any time dining" on Princess. Also seats location at the buffet are much better, you always find a table next to the window.
Big shows are not great on Princess, I stopped going there after a couple of days. Agree with Donna, ice shows on RCCL are unbelievable!
Also all activity on Princess is more for elderly folks, even though some of them in small showrooms are very good.
We do traditional dining on Princess, as well as on RCCL, but prefer Princess for food and service quality and also meal times (Late seating is 8:00 instead of 8:30). Dining rooms are bigger and more opulent on RCCL than Princess, but with that also comes noiser. I agree re seating at Princess buffet being better, but set up of buffets themselves can sometimes get a bit crowded if you go there at popular times, such as embarkation day, but other than those times it is not an issue.

IMHO, I disagree that activity on Princess is for elderly folks. I have not found that to be the case AT ALL! Maybe poster did not go to the Fiesta Deck party or some of the other hilarious events such as pool games that Princess has....definitely not for the "elderly". Princess tends to get a bad rap that the ships are filled with old people, which is totally not true, at least in the Caribbean itineraries. Agree re RCCL having better big shows though, especially ice show. I usually refer people travelling with kids to RCCL and singles to Princess.

Overall we strongly prefer Princess for food, service, classiness and the way they make you feel important. RCCL used to do that but no longer seem to care once they have your money, which is a shame. Don't get me wrong, they pretend to, but when you have serious issues onboard and try to get Senior Staff to acknowledge and/or make things right, they are trained very well at "dancing around the issue". Which is not to say that it was bad enough that we would never do RCCL again, but given the choice on comparable itineraries and price, we would do Princess.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Admiral

I love Princess too, but like the entertainment on the larger Royal Caribbean ships, especially the ice show and Princess doesn't have the "Quest"...not to be missed.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Beginner

Just returned from 7 days on the Ruby Princess. Not at all what it was hyped to be. This was my first Princess cruise after 7 on RCL and Celebrity, I expected more. Embarkation was smooth and was aboard in 20 minutes after checking in, Rooms were available at noon. Food service and quality in the Horizon Court and other buffet areas, there were four in total, was much better than the dining rooms. Service was mixed and not up to what we expected as Princess is supposed to be above RCL. No midnight buffet as RCL has one evening with the ice carvings. Shows were great except that they had the same show two nights in a row, instead of different ones. Food quality was fair to say the least. RCL had much better selections where you could have steak and shrimp coctail every night, not on the Ruby where the request was always denied because you had to order a day in advance (even with a gratuity in advance). Cabin service was excellent, great cabin boy, I would prefer RCL over Princess and had some great times on the Explorer, Navigator, Jewel, Ice skating rink on the Explorer,etc. Fantastic.! Would rate RCL over Princess and by the way there was a mixed crowd, not all young not all seniors. Nevertheless have a great time
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Passenger

we were on caribbean princess Nov.2 to Nov.9 08.
Food in the Horizon was awful.
This ship was overcrowded! There was no place to sit to eat the awful and cold food you put on your plate to taste and go YUK!
There was a very mixed group of people. From young, to familys, and older, and, plenty of men that want to be treated like a princess too.
Whatever, just a heads up.
The ship is beautiful. The rooms are great. The cabin stewards are wonderful.
The food is a struggle. The buffet is awful. You want a hot breakfast....good luck. Not on this ship. Luke warm at best.
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yeoman

I also just got back from the Carribean Princess and loved it. The food was great in my opinion. I guess to each his own. To see more pictures go to the Cruisemates photo gallery and do a search for your ship. We enjoyed CB and now want to try RCI. I want to try all of the cruise lines at least once. So far I prefer Carnival or Disney.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Passenger

I think you should definitely give Princess a try!

We were on the Emerald in October (sister to Ruby) and found that a shrimp cocktail and steaks were offered every nite in the dining room along with the other menu items such as Fettucini Alfredo, a Princess fave. As far as the same shows being offered a couple time during the cruise & note they are at different times. This is done to accommodate early/late seating & anytime dinners, so they have the option of seeing them at a convenient time.

The age group seems to be varied, the pools are fresh water, MUTS (Movies under the stars) IMHO is better than a rock climbing wall and the specialty restaurants are very good, just make sure you go hungary!

Whatever you decide - have a great cruise!!!
Carnival x 2