Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Passenger

Default Princess promotion a farce?

Princess gave me a future cruise credit of $100.00 for booking a cruise before Dec. 31, 2008 and sailing before Dec. 31, 2009. I booked a cruise and tried to apply this credit to my booking at which time I was told that the credit was only for cruises of 10 days or more. NO WHERE does it state that the cruise had to be more than 10 days. Not anywhere! I've looked, DH has looked and TA has looked. We only discovered this when we tried to apply the credit. Has anyone else been taken in by this scam?
I know it's only 100 bucks but I am considering cancelling this cruise on principle. BTW the Princess agent I spoke to on the phone was rude and obnoxious. Is this the way Princess treats their passengers? I am very disallusioned as I was very excited about our first trip with Princess. (We are RCCL and Carnival fans)

Looking for a cruise for my 50th birthday in October 2009....any suggestions?

Carnival Victory - 2005
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - 2007
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
First Mate

Just as you should not judge Cruisemates by one entry or reply, so should you first consider that the person you were speaking too is not in possession of all the facts. Then take this up one step higher, please.

A representative dealing with our travel agent denied us the Shipboard account credits. The reason? We had paid the $100 future cruise deposit in US funds and had paid for our cruise in Canadian funds.

Once aboard the ship we enquired of the Future Cruise desk as to the Princess policy and she took our concerns to their head office. We obtained our credits and the refund of the original deposit. If the situation does not make sense in dealing with but one employee then ask to speak to the supervisor or someone with greater authority.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Admiral

That is baloney. The future cruise deposit and OBC is good for any cruise 7 days or more.

Now the OBC credit is:

- 7 - 9 days $25/pp inside; $50/pp outside
- 10 - 15 days $75/pp inside, $100/pp outside
- 16+ days $125/pp inside, $150pp outside

You should have received a letter when you book the future cruise. What does it say?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Hi folks,
I did go "up the ladder" to a supervisor and they are insisting it is only for 10 days or more. As to what it says, there is no mention of 10 days or longer. It says that I must book before Dec. 31, 2008 and sail before Dec. 31, 2009 - that is all and that is why I am disallusioned by this. When I asked why it doesn't state the 10 days policy, they got very defensive and said they had nothing to do with it and that I could write Princess if I wanted. I know that the agents dont make the rules and I did not accuse them of doing so. I was simply asking a question. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback.

Carnival Victory - 2005
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Queenbqs...

Was the promotion from Princess or the travel agent? I am confused because you mention Princess in your first post, and then you say your TA said to call Princess.

I know my TA told me that the Princess onboard deposit was a great way to go - that is was very easy to transfer.

Whoever TOLD YOU it was good for 7-days should honor that. If it was the travel agent then it is their fault. It isn't Princess' fault if an agent mispresented them.

By the same token ANY such promotion should have the terms listed.

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Hey Paul,

It was a Princess promotion, but I booked through a TA. The TA couldnt get Princess to honor it, so I called them myself to no avail. It does say to book through Princess OR through your travel agent to take advantage of the promotion, so it's not like I was supposed to go through Princess directly. No one said it was good for 7 days. No one said it was only good for 10 days or more. It simply says "Valid on cruises booked by December 31, 2008 and sailed by December 31, 2009".
QB

Carnival Victory - 2005
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Is there any way you can make it so I can see it? was it online anyplace or do you have an email confirmation?

Just curious. I really don't like to hear about things like this.

My email is editor at cruisemates dot com

Old December 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Admiral

"Is this the way Princess treats their passengers? I am very disallusioned as I was very excited about our first trip with Princess. (We are RCCL and Carnival fans) "

No absolutely not!! I've never been treated other than in the most courteous manner by Princess personnel. You didn't get in their face and accuse them or running a scam did you? (Like you did here) If you did, well, there is your problem.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Discount on Princess

I just read your posting about the $100 discount.
The certificat should have language identifying the terms and conditions on the body of the insturment.
I would cancel the cruise only if there is no cost.
Write a letter to Princess and attach a copy of the discount.
Also, If you are to use the referral program, you can receive a $25 ship board credit per person over 18 for first time cruisers.
If you need more info let me know.

Cheers
Danny
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
"Is this the way Princess treats their passengers? I am very disallusioned as I was very excited about our first trip with Princess. (We are RCCL and Carnival fans) "

No absolutely not!! I've never been treated other than in the most courteous manner by Princess personnel. You didn't get in their face and accuse them or running a scam did you? (Like you did here) If you did, well, there is your problem.
Princess personnel can be very rude. I am totally disillusioned by them. Their 10 points of service are a farce and about the 'never saying no'. That seems to be the only word they do know. Not only have I encountered horrible crew onboard, but their customer relations office in santa clarita leaves a lot to be desired also. They are interested in only one thing and that is your money. Once they have it, they don't give a s**t about you or your feelings. I was left in tears in a packed atrium by the head of personnel aboard the Coral in Alaska, a ***** named Diane. I had a very simple request which they would not even give me the courtesty to explain my situation.
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Admiral

I have had considerable experience cruzerboy, and I have never had that experience or anything even close to it. Nor do I remember talking to anyone who has. Hmmm. Sorry you did.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
First Mate

Further to our post above re: cruise credits. There is nothing like sitting across a desk from a Princess Future Cruise co-ordinator to explain your circumstances, one on one so to speak. It works wonders.

So if the credit question is not resolved by the time of sailing, go to her/his desk and outline your problem and concerns. More than likely these will be relayed to head office and may yet be resolved in your favour.
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Princess promotion a farce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbgs
Princess gave me a future cruise credit of $100.00 for booking a cruise before Dec. 31, 2008 and sailing before Dec. 31, 2009. I booked a cruise and tried to apply this credit to my booking at which time I was told that the credit was only for cruises of 10 days or more. NO WHERE does it state that the cruise had to be more than 10 days. Not anywhere! I've looked, DH has looked and TA has looked. We only discovered this when we tried to apply the credit. Has anyone else been taken in by this scam?
I know it's only 100 bucks but I am considering cancelling this cruise on principle. BTW the Princess agent I spoke to on the phone was rude and obnoxious. Is this the way Princess treats their passengers? I am very disallusioned as I was very excited about our first trip with Princess. (We are RCCL and Carnival fans)
We seem to have several inconsistencies here. Why did Princess give you the certificate? It sounds to me like you booked a cruise. As a result of booking that cruise you are given a certificate for $100 on a future cruise. Are you now trying to apply that $100 on your original cruise? Are you booking another cruise? Finally if Princess "Gave" it to you then you are not out anything as gave implies it was given freely without cost.

I do not doubt your honesty but I do think there is a lot we are not being told here. I deal with Princess on a regular basis and have yet to run across a rude and or obnoxious person. Their customer service people are the most courteous and helpful in the industry.
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Admiral

ssantow, I agree.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Princess promotion a farce?

Quote SSANTOW: We seem to have several inconsistencies here. Why did Princess give you the certificate? It sounds to me like you booked a cruise. As a result of booking that cruise you are given a certificate for $100 on a future cruise. Are you now trying to apply that $100 on your original cruise? Are you booking another cruise? Finally if Princess "Gave" it to you then you are not out anything as gave implies it was given freely without cost.

Read! Read! Read! Princess will honour the certificate they gave the OP but not for a 7-day cruise. Therefore it is valid for at least that. The stipulation that it had to be for a 10+day cruise is not backed up in any printed form. Princess should have done this but did not and it is our feeling that the OP has a legitimate concern and should be given the credit due him. Under the terms of the original transaction the certificate is now equivilant to one hundred dollars of the recipient's money.
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Yeah, Princess is going to sell their immense good will for $100 and by trying to cheat their customers! Not very likely based on my experience and IMHO.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
First Mate

My but how the shares must have plummeted...

Like with so many corporations, one employee can do a lot of damage. There is no question that Princess may well suffer more than one hundred dollars worth of bad publicity in this by not solving the problem before it came to this. It all comes down to employee training. Saving the one hundred dollars in this manner was not In Carnival Corp's best interest.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Absolutely true that one bad employee can really gum up the works!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Passenger

My advice, cancel if you can.
We went on Caribbean Princess Nov.2 to Nov. 9, 08.
We did not get "traditional" dining. The buffet food is awful!!! It is not clearly stated in their "welcome abord" letter that "anytime" dining requires a reservation. Our 25th wedding anniversary on wed. nov. 5th was there caribbean casual night. We wanted a romantic diner. We dressed formal. We were sat at a tiny table right next to the kitchen. Then,
they took our diner order, sat another couple next to us, took their order, searved them their diner, refilled their water, and left us ignored!
I was in tears. I walked out, went back to my cabin and called passenger services and told them what happened, this is our anniversary, we want it to be special can you help us. NO, he told me it was our fault for not saying this table won't work. Nothing can be done about it until tomarrow, someone would call us.
This ship is overcrowded, there is not enough seating anywhere. The crew is unhelpful and even rude.
The only good thing good was our room on the aloha deck with a belcony was nice and our room steward was great. That turned out to be important because we had to take our hamburger and fries back to our cabin to eat because there was no place to sit. :evil:
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I also get the feeling we are not getting the whole story here. I don't know of any cruise line issuing any credit without saying exactly what the terms are.

I am sure the certificate would have rules & stipulations on it - unless the travel agent somehow misrepresented what it was. I have been saying all along - you have to go back to the source of where you got it and ask them to clarify what it is.

I would not trust any travel agent who sold me a certificate like that and then told ME to call Princess to resolve the issue. Take it back to the travel agent and get your money back from him. It doesn't sound to me like Princess had anything to do with this.

Old December 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
First Mate

Paul, the opening lines of the OP were:

Princess gave me a future cruise credit of $100.00 for booking a cruise before Dec. 31, 2008 and sailing before Dec. 31, 2009. I booked a cruise and tried to apply this credit to my booking at which time I was told that the credit was only for cruises of 10 days or more.

The key words are "Princess gave me..." and "...the credit was only for cruises of..." Both points clearly implicate Princess in this.
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:07 AM
First Mate

To: bob_emy

Your above critique should, we feel, have been posted under cruise grips as it did not pertain to discount coupons.

That said, we would like to advise you, after the fact unfortunately, that given the special conditions of your day, Princess would have gone to extra lengths to accommodate you in it's celebration. They do however need to be advised in advance. Advising the Maitre d' a day or two ahead would have been most useful and in our personal view but not necessarily, a gratuity at the time would have helped make for a spectacular and memorable evening dinner.
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Bob and emy,
It is really strange how experiences can differ. My wife and I have been on about 15 cruises varying in length from 4 days to 35 days, on 5 different cruise lines and have NEVER had an experience even remotely approaching the one you mention. Certainly not on Princess, where we have found the staff second only to Holland America in the smiles, graciousness and helpfulness departments.

The bad experience you had though, is certainly one reason we avoid "anytime dining" like the plague. That would seem to guarantee an impersonal experience. We always have traditional dining, 2nd seating, table for 6 or 8. We get to know the waiters and they get to know us. That makes a tremendous difference in the quality of the cruise IMHO.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Hello all and thank you for your feedback. Let me clarify... I called Princess to inquire about a cruise and was told I should go on their website and sign up for specials etc....by a PRINCESS employee. I did NOT book a cruise at this time but did go to their website and sign up. That was over a year ago. Since then, I have received mailings and such from Princess with cruise specials, itineraries etc. In one of these mailings, I was sent a $100.00 certificate for "any cruise booked by December 31, 2008 and sailed by December 31, 2009." It also said to check my account on the Princess website and I would see a $100.00 credit in my "Circle Savings Account". I did check it and it IS there!
I also states "To take advantage of this credit, call Princess or your Travel Agent".

So when we researched which cruise we are going to take in March of 2009, we decided we would try Princess, because as I said, we havent yet sailed with them and wanted to try them out. We booked through our TA and gave him our credit # that Princess had given us. When he tried to apply the credit, Princess told him that it was only for cruises of 10 days or longer. Again, NOWHERE, does it state this. He called Princess again, while I was on the phone but they would not budge so I called Princess customer relations and was told....guess what....10 days or longer. That is the whole story, I dont think I have omitted anything to those who think I did.
We did book anyway, because it is an itinerary that we are very excited about and we still want to try Princess. (My brother and his wife love it and say it's their favorite cruiseline.) I do like the advise from Ron n Jon about speaking to someone onboard about it and I may do that. At this point, I just want to have a great vacation as I so desperately need one!
Looking forward to future posts. Happy Cruising everyone!

Carnival Victory - 2005
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_emy
My advice, cancel if you can.
We went on Caribbean Princess Nov.2 to Nov. 9, 08.
We did not get "traditional" dining. The buffet food is awful!!! It is not clearly stated in their "welcome abord" letter that "anytime" dining requires a reservation. Our 25th wedding anniversary on wed. nov. 5th was there caribbean casual night. We wanted a romantic diner. We dressed formal. We were sat at a tiny table right next to the kitchen. Then,
they took our diner order, sat another couple next to us, took their order, searved them their diner, refilled their water, and left us ignored!
I was in tears. I walked out, went back to my cabin and called passenger services and told them what happened, this is our anniversary, we want it to be special can you help us. NO, he told me it was our fault for not saying this table won't work. Nothing can be done about it until tomarrow, someone would call us.
This ship is overcrowded, there is not enough seating anywhere. The crew is unhelpful and even rude.
The only good thing good was our room on the aloha deck with a belcony was nice and our room steward was great. That turned out to be important because we had to take our hamburger and fries back to our cabin to eat because there was no place to sit. :evil:
Sorry you had a bad time on the Caribbean Princess. I've sailed her twice and have never made a reservation for dinner in the anytime dining area. That has me confused.

Also why didn't you book the Ultimate Balcony dinner for you very special occasion? It doesn't get any better or romantic than that.

Bill
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Okay this bugs me. If the certificate doesn't show the length of cruise they should honor it period. Here is what I would do.

Alan B. Buckelew is the President and CEO of Princess cruiselines and Arnaldo Perez if the General Counsel for Carnival. I would send two letters to these Corporate Officers at this address 3655 N.W. 87th Avenue, Miami, Florida 33178-2428 include a copy of your certificate. Be polite and formal, explain the situation in detail including dates and times you spoke to representatives. No one lower can help you; these guys will either address the issue or not but it's better than doing nothing.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
First Mate

katlady you have hit the nail right on the head!!! Bravo.

That's what this space needs more of, answers and advice not character assassinations.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Thanks Katlady. I appreciate the names and will do what you suggest. I also agree with Ron n Jon and both of yours were probably the best responses I've seen in a while. Thanks to both of you.

Carnival Victory - 2005
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Admiral

I like to help.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Passenger

Princess had an offer
Escape Fares for 9 day Caribbean Princess cruise for bookings made by 12\31\08.
A $50 per person CC discount for past passengers.

http://www.princess.com/news/article...rticleId=na939

If you purchased a Future Cruise Credit and used it towards your cruise

A 9 day cruise you would receive $25 Interior or $50 Oceanview per person.

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer...uise/board.jsp

Now, will they honor booth?
I am about to find out.
I booked a cruise 12\31\08 and used my FCC.
However, credits aren't showing in my cruise personalizer.

Anyway, I hope this info helps.