Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:26 AM
First Mate

Default ENTRY FEES

Hi Fellow Cruise Mates,

My wife and I are flying into Santiago, Chile on 3/30/09 to catch the Star Princess, and I found out that US Citizens have to pay a reciprocity fee of USD $100 (cash only) per person upon arrival into Santiago.

Has anyone ever had to pay this high of a fee? I haven't checked with my TA yet. Any information will help.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

The fee is $131 and can be paid in cash or by credit card. Here is the info from the Chilean Embassy in Washington:

Quote:
VISA
No visa is necessary when you travel to Chile, only a valid passport. When entering Chile (By cruise, vehicle or plane), at customs, you'll need to fill out a Tourist Card that allows visitors to stay for up to 90 days and will allow multiple entries. You'll need to show this Tourist Card to Customs when leaving the country as well, so be sure you don't lose it. For more information on other type of Visa, go to the CONSULAR SECTION.
ENTRY FEE:
There is a reciprocity fee of US$131 dollars to be paid in cash (U.S. dollars) or credit card. The one-time charge is good for the life of your passport. Go to the CONSULAR SECTION.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Admiral

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Why do people feel the need to post same question in multiple spots?

It would have helped if this question was posted in South America, All Things Cruising, or Ask CruiseMates Staff Forums instead of in Carnival and Princess Forums.

Why did CruiseMates list this thread as a "Message Boards Hot Topic" if the question had already been answered in another forum? I researched question and provided answer thinking I was helping out by answering one of the many posts with no answer; I shouldn't have taken my time.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Mad I researched question and provided answer thinking I was helping out by answering one of the many posts with no answer; I shouldn't have taken my time.
We see the same question asked many times. Some people don't think about using the seach feature for topics, and other times perhaps they think their is more recent information available than on a previous post.

While we appreciate people responding to questions to they know the answers too. We don't appreciate the attitude of mocking posters because they felt the questions were repeated too often, or posted in the wrong spot.

If you know the answer to a question, respond if you like, and forget the etiquette lecture. Otherwise no need to post at all.

Though you may have answered the poster's query, this type of attitude is likely to ensure they don't return to the site to ask any other questions they have.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
First Mate

kuki, i agree with you, though you have been getting more and more aggressive these days. the poster wanted input and not all cm's visit every site. if it is redundant, i agree, ignore it and don't ruffle your feathers.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki

While we appreciate people responding to questions to they know the answers too. We don't appreciate the attitude of mocking posters because they felt the questions were repeated too often, or posted in the wrong spot.

If you know the answer to a question, respond if you like, and forget the etiquette lecture. Otherwise no need to post at all.

Though you may have answered the poster's query, this type of attitude is likely to ensure they don't return to the site to ask any other questions they have.
Kuki, I was wrong to mock the OP. However, what I was "mad" about was CruiseMates listing this as a Hot Topic which I took as an urgent need for someone to answer the question.

As for my "mocking" as you call it; why hasn't CruiseMates followed the lead of other Internet Brand's websites in management of message boards? FlyerTalk would have moved the question to the correct board without the OP having to do anything special? If that had been the case, there wouldn't have been a need for double posting nor would he have had to wait a day for a response.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
As for my "mocking" as you call it; why hasn't CruiseMates followed the lead of other Internet Brand's websites in management of message boards? FlyerTalk would have moved the question to the correct board without the OP having to do anything special? If that had been the case, there wouldn't have been a need for double posting nor would he have had to wait a day for a response.
It's pretty simple Marc... we feel that many postters don't notice, or forget, to check the "Notify of reply" box. So, they just end up checking back for replies. Therefore moving topics would also require leaving a "shadow".

Also with regard to moving posts to the "correct board", sometimes there is no single "correct" board for a question; several can be appropriate.

We also don't want to forget that if a single poster is asking a question there could be (and most likely are) many more reading, looking for the answer to the same question.

Fact is some of the message board folder are less visited than others. While we don't want all the boards flooded with the same message, we also don't want to dictate to people where they post.
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Well said Kuki. Bob
Old December 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
First Mate

I would like to thank everyone for your information. If I had know this post was going to cause a problem, I would not have posted the question.

I did ask this question in another forum and I got several different answers, that is why I re-posted the same question here.

Next time I will do more research before I post again.
Old December 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSpace
I would like to thank everyone for your information. If I had know this post was going to cause a problem, I would not have posted the question.

I did ask this question in another forum and I got several different answers, that is why I re-posted the same question here.

Next time I will do more research before I post again.
Don't let Marc discourage you. He is renowned for chastizing double posters. Feel free to ask away, the rest of us do not mind.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.

Don't let Marc discourage you. He is renowned for chastizing double posters. Feel free to ask away, the rest of us do not mind.
It wasn't me; it was Irish Shark that made the initial point about the double post.

DeepSpace, keep asking questions (and also answering questions).

I am really interested to hear about your trip to Asia. I have cruised to China and Southeast Asia on a couple of occassions. For any questions on visas, recommended shore excursions, and pre/post plans I and many others would love to help.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old December 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.

It wasn't me; it was Irish Shark that made the initial point about the double post.

DeepSpace, keep asking questions (and also answering questions).

I am really interested to hear about your trip to Asia. I have cruised to China and Southeast Asia on a couple of occassions. For any questions on visas, recommended shore excursions, and pre/post plans I and many others would love to help.
Now I see that, my bad

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004