Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Default Need advice about Princess Alaskan cruise

My husband and I are previous sailers on RCCL (5 previous with them). We are planning to take a cruise to Alaska and I have read that Princess offers a better cruise to Alaska than RCCL. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Beginner

I HAVE BEEN ON SEVERAL PRINCESS CRUISES AND ONE TO ALASKA AND HOPING TO GO AGAIN IN 2009 AND LOOKING FOR ROOM PARTNER IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE INTERESTED, E-MAIL\

I USUALLY DON'T TRAVEL ON ANY OTHER CRUISE LINE EXCEPT PRINCESS AND THE REASON IS THERE ARE THE BEST.

BARBARA
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARA TRAVELER
I HAVE BEEN ON SEVERAL PRINCESS CRUISES AND ONE TO ALASKA AND HOPING TO GO AGAIN IN 2009 AND LOOKING FOR ROOM PARTNER IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE INTERESTED, E-MAIL\

I USUALLY DON'T TRAVEL ON ANY OTHER CRUISE LINE EXCEPT PRINCESS AND THE REASON IS THERE ARE THE BEST.

BARBARA
If you are only looking for a room mate to cut down on cost and you don't mind inside cabins Princess has some great pricing for Alaska cruise this year.

Prices as low as $400pp. You have to log in to the Princess website to get those prices. At those prices you could go solo if you wanted.

Bill
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Admiral

We took are Alaskan cruise from San Francisco and we just loved it. Princess does 10 day cruises for San Francisco on the Sea Princess. The ports are: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, and Victoria British Columbia. They run these cruises from May 24 to Sept 11 in 2009. End of May start of June has the best prices insides start at $999 and balconies start at $1,999. I hope that helps you.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I will add, that Princess has quite a few ships in Alaska each summer, lots of itinaries to choose from. You can add a land portion on to your cruise too, they have lodges in various cities. Yes, Princess does Alaska best, IMHO.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
First Mate

Hi countrygirl,
I think you will enjoy the Alaska cruise. We have taken this from wright here, in S.F. Ca. You can also catch the Alaska cruise in Seattle, or even in Vancouver.
From S.F. we went on the inside passage. If you check the web site you will see all of this information. Check the dates for the 2009 sailings.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Admiral

I favor RCCL ships but for Alaska I chose Princess. If you can, take the cruise from Vancouver and allow for one day prior and one day after to see Van and then a day trip to VictoriaBC. It makes for an unforgettable experience. If doable, the Pan Pacific Hotel near the ship's pier is excellent in Vancouver.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Beginner

We sailed on Pricess Diamond in August of 2006 and loved it. The food in the seperate retaurants was very good. Weather is the biggest factor. We wish we had less rain. If you are going to get a balcony be aware that the lower your stateroom the larger your balcony will be. We didn't realize this and booked on the top balcony deck and had a very small balcony. The best balconys are on the rear or fan tail of the ship. A couple in our group of 14 had one and all 14 of us could fit on their balcony. Also the view is not obstructed by anything. You get to see both sides.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Hello Countrygirl:

I went on two Alaska Princess cruises. First one was in Aug 04 going from Seattle back to Seattle. I chose Princess due to it being one of two oldest cruise lines in Alaska. My daughter and I did not tender in at any of the ports. Then second cruise was in Jun 08 from Vancouver to Whittler. The cruises were two very different experiences. The first cruise ports were: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, and Victoria British Columbia. The second one cruise was Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and College Fjords. My son and I wanted to hear and see a calving on the second cruise. If you want more snow go earlier in the season. The naturalists were wonderful and informative. I would get a balcony at least. I had a balcony on the first and mini suite on the second. So you don’t miss any of the sight seeing remember room service. I agree with “subtropic” go in a day early and see Vancouver. Our plane was delayed and get not get to see as much as I would have liked. I am going on the coastal cruise this year and spend and extra few days to see Vancouver. Your going to have a great time.
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Familiar Face

We went to Alaska last year from Seattle on the Inside Passage and had a wonderful time. So much so we have booked the same cruise this summer in June. One of the reasons was the fantastic price that Princess had. When we cruise we feel like we are on a true vacation and the value is good. I am sure we can look at Alaska this year with a different perspective. It is such a beautiful place to see.
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews