Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Passenger

Default Pier in Puerto Rico

Me and my BF will be taking a cruise in May through the southern Caribbean. We will have to fly to Puerto Rico to do so. Can someone tell me the pier the cruise ship leaves from? We are taking Caribbean Princess. Also, how far is the pier from the airport? Thanks so much!!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Passenger

My wife and I just booked the May 10th cruise out of San Juan on the Caribbean Princess also. The ship docks at the foot of Old San Juan and is about a $25. cab ride from the airport, which is reasonable for two people. So you can just grab you bags and take a cab to the pier.

Since the ship does not leave till 11:00 pm you may want to consider arriving early enough to tour Old San Juan and El Moro.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Thanks =]
Do you know which rooms are the best??
We are flying in the day before so we have alot of time to shop and explore.
What time are we allowed to arrive at the port?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Passenger

When you say "room" I assume your are refering to cabin (stateroom). We always try to book a cabin "mid-ship" with a balcony. Remember "mid-ship refers to anything between the front and rear staircase. For this cruise we again booked a balcony (BA) on the Caribe (10) deck. I had been watching the pricing for the last few months and got, what I think, was a really good deal, plus it was the itinerary we wanted.

If you are arriving a day early, go to the El Yunque Rainforest or the Bacardi Rum Distillery. If you go to El Moro you may also want to visit Fort San Cristobal. Both are run by the US Parks Department and are within walking distance of the pier. Admission is about $5. p/p and the ticket stub from one is good for the other.

With our flight coming in that morning we will probably board around noon, giving us time to have lunch on the ship and do some exploring. If you arrive too early you'lle just be waiting in line.

Which itinerary are you doing Western or Southern?

Also liquor is actually cheaper in San Juan than even St. Thomas.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Yeoman

Be sure to check with the cruiseline about which pier your ship will be docked. We just came off the CB and we were docked at the Pan Am pier. There is not much to see within walking distance. It's about a $15 cab ride to Old San Juan.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Are the balconies on the caribe deck completely covered and private?
Mariner of the seas 2008
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Passenger

From what I've read, "balconies (on the Grand Class, which Caribbean Princess is part of) are tiered so they get more sunlight, but this also means your neighbors above can look down at you. Be discreet."
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Passenger

C-Tiger
We are going on the southern caribbean on May 10th
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Passenger

Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, Tortola, and St. Thomas
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Passenger

yeah thats the one im going on
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Liquor is not cheaper in San Juan and we have been down there several times. Ido not know where you are buying in St . Thomas but no cheaper in San JUAN. You might find a bottle of Bacardi cheaper only because it is made here. Show me your invoice ansd I will compare .
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Last June our cruise stopped in both St Thomas and San Juan. Because of airline restrictions on luggage and liquids we bought two bottle of Canadian Club and two bottle of Jack Daniels. I remember commenting to my wife that when we docked in San Juan the Canadian Club was $1.00/ bottle cheaper there, the JD was about the same as I recall.

You're right, Bacardi would probably be cheaper in San Juan. I guess it's all according to what you're looking for.
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Beginner

How do I find out which pier? I'm a little nervous flying to san juan. Should I have any concerns?
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Beginner

if you call princess they can look at your booking and tell you which pier. You may also want to inquire about transfers if you are nervous about independant taxis. They will need your flight information and if you booked with a travel agent, they will refer you back to the agent about the cost. these can be booked up to 14 days before your cruise.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Passenger

I stand corrected. The Pan Am pier is where the Caribbean Princess docks. In my opinion, a taxi is the best way to get to the pier from the airport and vise versa. It's less of a hassel and quicker than taking the cruise line transfers. But if you feel more comfortable by using the transfer ....

My wife and I decided to fly down on Saturday and return on Monday. The airfare from Newark (NJ) to San Juan on Sunday (9:00 am) and back on the following Sunday (2:00 pm) is outragously expensive.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
First Mate

No reason to worry about taking a taxi in San Juan. You go downstairs to the luggage claim and then outside. There will be several people who's job it is to get a cab for you near one of the doors. You just stand there, tell them how many people and how much luggage. They will guide you to a taxi, help you get the luggage in (with the driver) and hand you a sheet of paper telling you the fixed price for the taxi ride. If you are just two, you might want to hang back and ask if anyone else wants to share the cab, it's a little cheaper if you share it.

Just tell them which ship, they will know where it is docked. It's relatively simple and the paper tells you exactly what you have to pay, except for the tip part.