Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Default Are costs coming down?

Has anyone noticed Princess dropping the cost on their cruises? Are they negotiating more?

I keep reading that cruise lines are being forced to drop prices because of the economy.

We tend to cruise in the summer where there is more of a demand.

Has anyone seen a decrease in service? I know hotels are starting to do things like hold back on hand lotion or the amount of towels.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Captain

Default Re: Are costs coming down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D
Has anyone noticed Princess dropping the cost on their cruises? Are they negotiating more?

I keep reading that cruise lines are being forced to drop prices because of the economy.

We tend to cruise in the summer where there is more of a demand.

Has anyone seen a decrease in service? I know hotels are starting to do things like hold back on hand lotion or the amount of towels.

Paul
Hi Paul,

There is definitely a major price reduction on many Princess cruises. We are cruising to Alaska this spring and have noticed that just by logging into our princess past passenger account the price on our cruise was more than $400 pp less, than the price if I did not log in.

As on all cruise lines there have been some cost cutting measures put in place, but Princess overall still offers the best cruising value of all the mass market cruise lines. For example instead of serving whole lobster tails my understanding is that you now get just small pieces of lobster along with some other seafood.

I am sticking with Princess because I believe they provide the best bang for the buck and the company is much more passenger oriented than other cruise lines that I have sailed.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Yes, there are some good deals out there right now on Princess. I got one myself! Bob
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Familiar Face

My spring cruise came down over $800pp from the time I booked in last May until final payment this week. However my TA told me that bookings were way up in the last 2 weeks, and she expects prices to be going back up.
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Passenger

We all know it’s not a big secret the recession is causing pain throughout the travel and tourism industry. Like hotels, from what I have seen, the cruise line are dropping their prices to try and fill as many cabins as possible. They know, once a ship sails there goes revenue that cannot be recaptured.

Recently from my own experience this is what I've seen:
Over the past couple of months my wife and I (mostly me) were interested in the May 10th sailing of the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan doing a Southern Caribbean itinerary. This would be our fourth Princess cruise. Back in October I start looking at the fares, a balcony cabin catagory BB was $850. p/p (including port charges and taxes). In January the price for all balcony cabins dropped to $750 p/p (including port charges and taxes). Last week my wife and I booked a balcony cabin (catagory BA mid ship) on the Caribe deck for $628 (including port charges and taxes). That same Friday we received a Captain's Circle promotion indicating that if you book by February 28, 2009 you would receive $100. p/p discount for a mini suite or balcony, a sampling of their Platinum-level benefits including $75. credit for their internet package, members cocktail party, and use of the Platinum disembarkation lounge. I called our cruise consultant and our price does include the special pricing and promotion package.

Also if you own a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival stock (presently trading at about $19.87/ share) book by Februay 28, 2009 and sail through July 31, 2009 you will receive a $100/ cabin OBC for a 7 to 15 day cruise.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Admiral

the only problem, the prices for high season are still high. No, nothing like in years past but unfortunately people here about the $500 rates on Princess and don't realize they are for May only, start pricing into June and later. They do not exist. Again, prices are good, but too many people do not read the words :starting at" this is true, in many cases with hotels as well. I was just pricing hotels for hubby and I in April, they are almost identical to last year..

Nita
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Admiral

I agree. I too got a much better deal on the Ruby Princess than was available until just recently. I love Princess, but frankly, had gone to Carnival just because the price was so much higher for the Princess cruises. It's still not as good as Carnival, but I can justify a bit higher fares because I like Princess Cruises so much.

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Admiral

We booked 6-27 Sapphire Princess Alaska 7 night cruise rt Seattle

$499 p.p. less $50 p.p. net cruise fare $449 p.p. plus tax
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Re: Are costs coming down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D

The Cruise line have an elaberate computer system, they know when to increase and decrease pricing. Forget holidays and Spring break.We tend to cruise in the summer where there is more of a demand.

Ofcourse there are changes, there are no wine stuarts, the head water services more tables and you only have one assistant waiter.Paul
Hi Paul,

There is definitely a major price reduction on many Princess cruises. We are cruising to Alaska this spring and have noticed that just by logging into our princess past passenger account the price on our cruise was more than $400 pp less, than the price if I did not log in.

As on all cruise lines there have been some cost cutting measures put in place, but Princess overall still offers the best cruising value of all the mass market cruise lines. For example instead of serving whole lobster tails my understanding is that you now get just small pieces of lobster along with some other seafood.
The lobster is small, but it is complimented with two large prawns, besides, you can order two dinners.I am sticking with Princess because I believe they provide the best bang for the buck and the company is much more passenger oriented than other cruise lines that I have sailed.
I agree with the best bang for the buck, Laundry facilities, anytime dinning and movies under the stars. Debra