CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Wondering about Crown Princess..keep reading bad reviews (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/360829-wondering-about-crown-princess-keep-reading-bad-reviews.html)

seahag January 29th, 2009 04:58 PM

Wondering about Crown Princess..keep reading bad reviews

Hi, previously I have cruised on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean as well as Golden Princess.

I thought Golden Princess was amazing in every respect. I also liked Celebrity but was not impressed with Royal Caribbeans Voyagers of the Seas. I found the Voyager to have slipshod service and the food was ghastly for the most part.

I was really excited about taking another Princess cruise based on my experience on the Golden..I found a cruise out of Rome this Spring that really suits my fancy. :wink: It is on the Crown.

While doing some research I keep reading horror stories about Crown...the tiny cabins..are the cabins really that small? The terrible food and service..on and on. ..On previous cruises we usually get inside cabins and have been quite happy on other ships. Does the Crown have flat sceened T.V.s with international CNN? This cruise will be part of two month trip around Europe and I like to keep up with the news.

How does Crown measure up to the Golden? I was on the Golden on an Alaskan cruise and thought the food was the best I have ever had including the buffet.

After reading all the negativity about Crown i am rethinking about booking with them and going with Holland. Holland has a itnerary that is much the same.

I have read that the crown is really a Carnival type of ship. Not knocking Carnival but it is just not for us. I realize they are owned by the same company.
Can I get some honest opinions on the Crown. is it really that bad? I love their itinerary but want to have good food as well.

I am not a nit-picker and could care less about towel animals or the like.

Hub January 29th, 2009 10:31 PM

We sailed on the Crown in October. THe ship was lovely, our cabin very nice, still it did not meausre up to my expectations. The lines were awful, especially for embarkation & disembarking for ports. There was a huge snafu at embarkation- at least 25% of the room keys did not work.

Part of this was our fault- we chose a ship that was too big for us- and the sailing was the first trip of the season in the Caribbean.

We still had a very nice vacation, the first in a long time. I plan to retun to Celebrity for my next cruise. Also I would still choose Princess over Holland America- Carnival owns both lines.

seahag January 30th, 2009 04:16 PM

Thank you for replying. I have never been on Holland but always thought of it as having 'old world charm'.

dnunez January 31st, 2009 07:24 PM

I went on the Crown in October and while it was not a bad trip, I think I had set my expectations too high. I have been on Holland twice and the ships are not as large, but the service is excellent. I think I was also dissapointed in the food on Princess, it was good, just not great and I know that is a very touchy subject with most. I have been on Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, MSC and Radisson. I have to go with Celebrity and Holland for service and food, but that is just my opinion. I do believe the larger the ship the less service and quality you get. I would still go on Princess again if the price is right and the itinerary is good, I loved the Movies under the stars, the cafe, the ship itself was beautiful and the crew was very nice.

lak1 February 2nd, 2009 03:35 PM

I was on the Crown when it was brand new sailing from NYC. It was lovely back then and no problems, but that's been several years so I couldn't comment on it now. That said, I also LOVE Holland America. I have sailed the Zaandam, Noordam and Volendam (so both class of ships - the larger and smaller) and plan to do many more with them in the future. Booked on Princess for this year, however. We like to go back and forth to keep up with what each is doing.

nmnita February 2nd, 2009 04:42 PM

I think too many people put too much into bad reviews without reading all the good ones out there. We all expect to enjoy our experiences so often don't do or say much about the good things, but let something go wrong and we can't wait to share with others.

Nita :wink:

ragtiki2005 February 5th, 2009 12:20 AM

I am on the Feb 15th sailing so I will be able to share my experience when I return. Bob from CT.

Jesse132511 February 10th, 2009 01:47 PM

I just finished a cruise on the Caribbean and did the Crown last year.
Both ships had fabulous service and great food. Cabins were the same
as the other 3 Princess ships I have cruised on.

I took a group of 50 people each time and everyone loved both cruises.

The other poster is right...don't pay attention to the few negative
reviews...for each one there are hundreds of happy people who don't bother to write.

Jesse132511 February 10th, 2009 01:50 PM

Forgot to mention ..there was zero line ups in Horizons Court anytime
I was there ..breakfast or lunch. The dining room was extremely
smooth for Anytime dining..and that included getting space for about 30 people..we never had a problem or a wait. Getting on and off the ship was a breeze.

Dannyboy February 10th, 2009 06:07 PM

Crown Princess

I was on the Celebrity Solstice last November, the Princess Ruby and Princess Crown last month.

The cabins are about the same size, all three ships have flat screens but the new Solstice has interactive TV, including satelite radio and full cabin service for food.

As far as food, the quality in much the same, I was in the new Aqua Class on Celebrity, very nice, but the extra money was not high on my value list.
PS, I am Elite with Celebrity, so many features are iincluded.

Princess has three options that I really enjoy, first and foremost Laundry facilities with an iron set up, anytime dining and the movie under the stars.

The Solstice also has one of the nicest pool decks at sea, it's like a resort.
The coffee is better on Celebrity, except the International cafe on the newer Princess ships, Princess has an extra charge for brewed coffee.

Okiguy March 26th, 2009 08:21 PM

Crown

We've done the Baltic Cruise in 2008 on the Crown and my DW and daughter did a caribbean cruise this year also on the Crown. Everyone was pleased with the service and the ship. We were in either balcony or mini-suites on those occasions. We found nothing serious to complain about on the Crown.

Good standard Princess service all the way.

Okiguy

NSWP March 26th, 2009 09:06 PM

Crown

Thanks for posting the Crown comments, we are on her for 27 days in June/July, through Europe/British Isles. I hope it will be OK. :-?

topher April 13th, 2009 08:24 PM

Crown vs Golden

In the past two years we have sailed on each of these ships and have had wonderful experiences. We sailed last August on the Crown and were thoroughly impressed with both the embarkation and disembarkation. We literally got off the bus, had no line, got our room keys and walked right on board. By 12:30pm we were in our room, greeted by our steward and had our luggage in less than 45 minutes. Disembarking was equally easy and stress free. Our cruise on the Golden was almost as seamless. The only thing I liked better about the Golden was that it was a little smaller than the Crown. We found the service, food and ease of doing things to be quite nice. We are sailing on the Grand this November and hope for an equally nice experience.

KAWS May 19th, 2009 04:32 PM

We did a 9 day sailing on the Crown. The ship is beautiful - very classy looking I would say.

The only thing we didn't like was the Anytime Dining, but that's not the ship's fault - that's just our preference. We found the food to be good, not great, but good. And funny enough it seemed to get better as the cruise went on.

Kim

sistagoldenhair May 20th, 2009 01:06 PM

I sailed on the Crown last Halloween - OMG, she's my favorite ship so far. Not sure why the reviews are so bad. You will love that ship!!!!!!!!!!

Blacktr May 26th, 2009 10:51 AM

Just returned from 21 days transatlatic crossing to Rome and was disappointed. Not much to do during the day and shows repeated too many times. Also, nightly entertainment was very meager. The food has gone downhill also.
Shore excursions were wonderful. I like Princess but feel it's doing all it can to save money. :(

jackieb May 28th, 2009 04:32 PM

We sailed on the Crown last October. The ship was nice, but we had an oder from the Bathroom and our Airconditioner didn't cool very well. They did end up giving us a credit for a future cruise though. The food was good, but not enough entertainment. We were bored. I'm trying RC again to see if it's different. Good luck

CaribbeanLVR May 28th, 2009 08:38 PM

We were on the CROWN last April doing the Souther caribbean out of San Juan. We loved it. In fact the Crown recently went through a "dry dock" period, to get fesh painting, among oher things.

My suggeston is MAKE your own decision, and do not let so called "bad reviews" hender your selection.

Remember VACATION is just that, make the best of it. If you get on board only thinking of the bad reviews, you will most likely start looking at every nook and cranny to make their point.

Good luck on your selection

Tim

worthew8 May 28th, 2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaribbeanLVR
We were on the CROWN last April doing the Souther caribbean out of San Juan. We loved it. In fact the Crown recently went through a "dry dock" period, to get fesh painting, among oher things.

My suggeston is MAKE your own decision, and do not let so called "bad reviews" hender your selection.

Remember VACATION is just that, make the best of it. If you get on board only thinking of the bad reviews, you will most likely start looking at every nook and cranny to make their point.

Good luck on your selection

Tim

You hit that nail on the head, Tim.