Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Captain

Default Spa Question: Pacific & Tahitian Princess - Thallossothe

We'll be on the April 10 Amazon cruise on the Pacific Princess. I was curious to hear feedback on the Lotus Spa and Thallosotherapy pool / area. I read on a review that the cost to use this spa area was $100 pp.

Is this worth the price?

Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Passenger

I've been on Pacific in Alaska. The spa was quite nice, but then I have found the spa on every ship to be nice. I really enjoyed the spa treatments and consider them to be worthwhile. I've gotten into the habit of booking treatments on port days when they run a special.

It sounds like your $100 price is for a cruise long pass to the thermal suite. I think its worth depends on what you like to do. You get to use the thermal facilities when you have a treatment and that is usually enough for me. If you like taking a daily steam then I would say go for it. It could be a nice addition to your daily routine.

Have you gotten your yellow card?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Captain

Thanks Pilotdane:

We should be receiving our Visas any day now, and have an appointment to have the vaccination at our local Urgent Care, I believe they're only charging $100 for the shot.

I've only sailed on Carnival (years ago) and for the past 7 years have sailed exclusively on Celebrity. Love their spa and Thallossotherapy pool. I enjoy a steam. I read on a Cruise Mate's review of the Pacific, that the thermal / spa / thallossotherapy area was hardly ever used, as passengers did not wish to pay the $100...the first thought popping into my mind was, "solitude"! If we don't have to fuss over a chaise, and it's peaceful and quiet, that sounds great to me...if the area is conducive for relaxing, as if by the pool.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Passenger

The R-Class ships are the only ones we will cruise on Princess. My wife and I really love that size of ship. The spa area is smaller obviously than on larger ships but it has everything I need and it was never crowded.

If you are looking for solitude the thermal pass would be a good excuse to get away and probably worth the money for you. When you first board go to the spa and ask them for a tour so you can see the facilities before signing up.

---

My parents did your cruise in the opposite direction last year. They loved it. The only part they really did not like was waiting in Manaus for the charter flight home. It left a bad experience at the end of their cruise. I like your itinerary much better. You get the more difficult travel out of the way first.

Their favorite part was Devils Island. My father, a pilot, also liked going to the airport in St. Barts to watch the planes squeek into their short runway. Plan on getting shore excursions in Brazil. There was little/nothing you could do on your own by walking off the ship except in Manaus. The Caribbean stops are more used to tourists so you have more latitude to do your own thing if you want.

Bring proper (good quality like GoreTex) rain gear so the weather does not affect your fun. It will be warm but just expect the daily shower and deal with it and have fun. My folks took cheap rain coats and were soaked with sweat when they wore them and soaked by rain when they didn't.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Captain

Thanks for the advice Pilotdane. Really appreciate the tip on rain gear...I read that the average rainfall in April is 22 days. Will check into getting the gear you recommend.

Always nice to to meet someone on the boards who has 'been there, done that' and can offer sage advice. 8)

Luckily we bypassed the charter flight. Using our airmiles to upgrade we were able to book direct flights from SFO to Miami and then TAM airlines from Miami to Manaus.

I read a review on CruiseCritics.com about a couple who took the chartered flight, Princess arranged...and it was a scary flight on an older, military-type plane.

Will be happy to just get there.
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Default Days at Sea in the Beginning or the End

Sorry to hear about the chartered plane from MIA to Manaus.. we are on it.. but then again I'm so used to flying charter from Boston to the Caribbean Islands this maynot be so bad..lol.. I HOPE!! We have always done our trans-atlantics FROM Europe to the US because it gives us the relaxing days at sea at the end of the cruise.. Friends who did it from Florida to Europe were exhausted by the time they disembarked the ship. Will defin. take folding raincoats..and umbrella. Hope to find a hidden spot near the pool/pools on the ship for peace and quiet from the "crowd". We are not the mega ship type either
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Passenger

My parents disembarked in Manaus so the charter flight was to get home to the US. They got off the ship in the morning and like most from the ship were taken to a nice hotel to wait for their flight home. The charter flight from the US was delayed considerably so they did not leave Manaus until almost midnight and arrived into Miami and were bussed to Ft. Lauderdale. They arrived in Ft. Lauderdale at about 4am. Basically it was 20 hours of pain in the @$$ travel.

They actually loved the charter flight. A DC-10 in very good condition. They said the crew was very nice and provided an inflight meal/heavy snack. They described the flight as the service of domestic first class, but while sitting in a larger than average coach sized seat.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Default CRUISING BACK TO FLORIDA

We have a 1:50 a.m. flight to Manaus..on which I will promptly go to sleep.. Our arrival will be back in Florida with a noon flight..Princess made those arrangements.. After two weeks in the hot and humid weather I just MIGHT look forward to cooler New England. Hope to meet Triton on the s hip for brunch
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Captain

Default Brunch?

Hi Parrot Mom:

Lunch / Brunch will be in order...I think we'll be enjoying a 4 course meal in business class, with a few mimosas! . When we embark, I want to speak with the Maitre'd about our table arrangement and check out the Lotus Spa for their packages...then we're off to see the Opera House and market.

There shouldn't be trouble finding a taxi, I don't think.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Default Tours

Is that before or after we hit H. Stern somewhere.. plus I have the name of an artist not far from the port that is supposed to have some great work..
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Captain

Looks like there are a couple or three H Sterns in Manaus. Tell you what...I'll just ask R to let YOU hold his wallet for "safe keeping". . We'll find a nice set. 8)
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Default HIS Wallet

Well, how about my learning to copy his signature? Of course in Brazil the big stone is the purple amethyst.. and I just LOVE purple.. If I have a panic attack in an H. Stern..tell Parrot Pop that I can come out of it with something.. BIG and gaudy..lol. in p urple.. although you never know. I have a penchant for finding unusual jewelry...by craft people..
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Captain

Default Anyone else?

I heard from a TA friend of mine that this area, the Thallossotherapy pool (a big salt water hot tub) is at the bow of the ship; it is forward of the mens / women's locker and steam rooms.

My point is, IF this place is quiet, peaceful and you don't have to haggle over a chaise (or worry about chaise hogs), this may be worth the price.

I found a couple of pictures from other cruisers, and there looks to be about 25 or so chaise lounges around this area.

Man, I need a vacation...can you tell my clock is ticking? lol
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Default H. STERN in Manus

Well, checked out pieces on line for H.Stern... thank heavens I did ahead of time...Just bring the smelling salts when we ALL go...There must be some items well below $25,000.00 Since at this point I know we are on a trip together the next day...maybe we can plan on windowshopping Yah. right.. Parrot Mom doesn't like to just window shop....