Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Default Need help with choosing cabin

First time cruise to Alaska on Coral in June. Can someone please explain the meaning of the suite category letters, ie AA, AB, AC, etc.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

The category refers to deck and location on the deck. Generally center of the ship is premium for stability.
And the Coral has bump-outs meaning these stick out slightly and when you're on the balcony you get a better view.
I'm leaving this week on the Coral I have an AB - which is a mini-suite on Caribe near the front.
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the information. We booked with a ta and our assigned cabin is mini suite 219 on Baja. In reading some posts I found that this particular cabin's balcony is not covered and it is on the starboard. Since ours is a southbound cruise should we ask to change (if possible) to a port side? This is our first cruise and we really our novices, so any pertinent information will be most appreciated! Thanks!
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Oops! Forgot to mention that I am told it is category AA and I don't know what that means! If anyone can help it would be very appreciated! Thanks again!
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zta lady
Thank you for the information. We booked with a ta and our assigned cabin is mini suite 219 on Baja. In reading some posts I found that this particular cabin's balcony is not covered and it is on the starboard. Since ours is a southbound cruise should we ask to change (if possible) to a port side? This is our first cruise and we really our novices, so any pertinent information will be most appreciated! Thanks!
This might help you.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/p...ies/index.html

Yes, the balcony of B219 is uncovered.

Haven't been on an Alaska cruise, so can't help you decide if port or starboard side is better.
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Also, you might want to go to the Princess website (if you haven't already)....it tells you all about your cabin if you click on your cabin on the deck plan.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/...ans/index.html

E.g., your cabin will accommodate a third person, AA Cat on the Baja deck is a mini-suite, you can click to view details or do a 360 view.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Yes, thank you. I have looked at the deck plans but cannot find out the different meanings in the categories. AA, AB, AC, AD all look like the same mini suite, so what are the real differences, if anyone knows?

Thanks
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Yes, thank you. I have looked at the deck plans but cannot find out the different meanings in the categories. AA, AB, AC, AD all look like the same mini suite, so what are the real differences, if anyone knows?

Thanks
Looks like lannp hit the different meanings of the categories in his/her post. The category refers to the deck and the location on the deck, in addition it may/may not have a balcony. All mini-suites will pretty much be the same size and decor....the mini-suites with oceanview might seem bigger inside, as they don't have a balcony.

For example, if you look at the Baja deck deckplans, you will see cat AA mini-suite, which has a balcony, the majority located at the bow (forward), with 4 located mid-ship. There are also cat AF mini-suites which are oceanview, no balcony.

Does that help a bit more?
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Yes, your explanations help, but perhaps I am not asking the question correctly. Let's try it this way: how are the cabin categories ranked? Which are the best? Does it go AA down to whatever in a descending order using the alphabet? Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the information!
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Yes, your explanations help, but perhaps I am not asking the question correctly. Let's try it this way: how are the cabin categories ranked? Which are the best? Does it go AA down to whatever in a descending order using the alphabet? Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the information!
From the Princess website:

Quote:
What's the difference in Categories?
Category pricing is based primarily on the location of the stateroom on the ship. All staterooms offer a great cruise experience, but some passengers prefer to be forward, mid or aft.
Hmmm, "the best" is subjective...depending on an individual's likes/dislikes about the deck/location on the ship (forward, midships or aft), size of balcony, etc.

What usually holds true is the cost...mini-suites are ranked as Cat AA being the most expensive, Cat AF is the least expensive.

On the other hand, suites have categories PS & VS...PS being more expensive.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Admiral

I recommend you get a brochure of the Coral for the Alaska trips ... any AAA agency will give you one and you don't have to be a member. I am not recommending that you book through them because you can get much better deals than they offer.

Your TA has put you in the most expensive Mini-Suite in category AA - and the location is very far forward. That cabin also has room for 2 more people which means that there are bunks in the ceiling that they pull down at night - if you have more people.

For less money, I'd recommend you try to get on Caribe deck in the bump out section (where the balcony is half in the sun and half covered ... much preferred) Cabins 418 through 427. I've had both cabin 502 and 501 on 2 separate trips through the Canal and these are BD category ... plus the location is midship.

I only have the Panama brochure but for a 10 day trip the price difference is $400 per person more between a BD and an AA.

You don't say when you'll be sailing. If you haven't made final payment, it is possible you could switch to another TA. If you send me a Private Message, I'll give you the name of an outstanding one.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default catagories

The differences within a catagory is location.

AA is in a more desirable location than an AE. Usually the AA is midship. However sometimes the difference can be the size of the balcony.

For example we are in a BD cabin in the midship bump out section of the Caribe deck of the Coral. This would normally be a BA location but because the balcony size is smaller in the bump out it is considered not as desirable and therefore the BD rank.

So generally speaking the AA would be a better location than the AE with the A and B's being more midship and the AC,AD,AE, being either forward or aft.
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

Remember the Starboard side of the ship has designated smoking areas, the Port side does not allow any smoking.
The Lido deck has fewest cabins and is most sought after for that reason.

Good luck
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Passenger

For us, that is a good thing about the port side. I can't speak for everyone but I'm glad there is no smoking on the port side.
Thanks for that piece of information!