Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default Staying at hotel night before?

We will be cruising to Caribbean in April. First time cruisers here. We will get or own air from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale. If we take the Red Eye do we need (or do you all suggest) we get a hotel the night before instead? And if we do get a room, do we get our own transportation and take our own luggage to the ship? We will get our own air because it will probably be cheaper. Not quite sure how it wold work either way. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Yes, I'd recommend you get your hotel for the night before ... less stress for starting your cruise. Some of the hotels offer free transportation from the airport and again to the seaport ... one is Hyatt Place on 10th which is located near a lot of good restaurants and is very close to the seaport. Check out their prices by going direct to their web site ... the hotel name and add .com They also have a continental breakfast in the morning - free and the rooms are all suites with micro, fridge, large TV.

Yes, definitely get your own air ... I've read about too many stories where the cruise line routes you all over the place.

Enjoy your first cruise - you'll love Princess. Only one with fresh water pools and the fridges actually keep the ice from melting unlike many other lines.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying for years to get my husband to go on a cruise. This is our 25 anniversary and he has said we should go. I know I will love cruising and he will to, once we go. I really want this to be a good experience so he will want to go again. I have been lurking on these boards for a while and I know you all will give us good advice.
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Don't do the "redeye" thing, come in the day before, enjoy some relaxation and head to the ships early. There are some hotels that offer transfers from the airport to the hotel and then to the pier.
Yes, the Hyatt is a good place to start, depending on what price you are looking, you may also want to try the Hampton Inns. They certainly are not the same as Hyatt, but one particular one we like and it will be much less expensive. It is Hampton Inn, plantation. It is a little outside of Ft Lauderdale, offers free transfers from the airport and back to the pier, also will transport you to varies restaurants and other places near the hotel. I believe another Hampton Inn is near the airport, also look at all Hiltons and Marriotts. Probably the best way to get a good comparison whould be to go to travelocity or Orbitz. They will give you prices of all the major chains.

Nita
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Admiral

mdmc,
We live in OC and always fly JetBlue out of Long Beach redeye the day before because it is cheaper. We stay at the Embassy Suites and always request an early check in. Just last month we arrived at the airport at 5:10 am, got our luggage and arrived at the hotel at 5:35 am. They gave us a room and we were asleep by 6. We got up about 9:15 to hit the free breakfast, walked by the pool and by the time we got back to our room our bed was made and the bathroom cleaned up. They are very accomodating. We had all day to rest and/or look around. We went to the local grocery store within walking distance and picked up soda and water. By the next morning we were refreshed and ready for our cruise. Have a great first cruise.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hyatt Place has a grerat shopping center adjacent to it, with restaurants, a Publix Market, to pick up anything last minute,and s some cute ships....Just walk across the street and voila

Here is a blurb.....

Southport Shopping Center, located close to the Fort Lauderdale Beach and Port Everglades, boasts over 48 specialty shops and restaurants, including: Publix, a local grocery store chain; Carriage Clothiers, Ltd., an upscale men's clothing store; and Nature's Remedy, a health food store and juice bar. It's a great "one stop shopping" center where you can purchase a variety of items including groceries, clothing, accessories, gifts and of course, Florida souvenirs.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Admiral

As it's your 25th, be sure you put that information on your Cruise Personalizer and they'll put balloons outside your door and a sign on the date you specify. I suggest you make the date early in the cruise even if it's later. You'll also get a surprise in the dining room if you have Traditional Dining ... if you're doing Anytime Dining, then be sure and tell your Waiter or Head Waiter that evening when you're first seated.

Hyatt Place is close to the Shopping Center but not adjacent ... couple of blocks away. Embassy Suites is very nice but quite a bit more expensive. They do have a cocktail hour at 5 PM with 2 free drinks and lots of hors d'oeuvres and a FULL breakfast in the morning. Outback Restaurant is very near both of these hotels.

Checking the hotel sites (Orbitz, etc.) is a good idea but usually you'll find you get a better deal if you go directly to their site ... think they both give discounts for AAA and/or AARP.

Old February 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
First Mate

We stayed at the Hyatt Place on 17th St- I think this is the hotel people are talking about as being close to the Publix, liquor store etc. There is an Outback Steakhouse and a Mexican restaurant next door. When we stayed there it was still the Amerisuites. Since it became Hyatt Place the rates have gone up but if you look at Valutrips.com they usually have discount rates.
They will pick you up at the airport and shuttle you over to the port in the morning. A buffet breakfast is also included in the room rate. The room we had was large, with a kitchenette and living room area. It was a good bargain.
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Admiral

That's the place I stayed there as Amerisuites as well. The adjacent shopping area is great for cruisers, who are not renting a car...A short walk to pick up all your last minute needs...

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Just checked Valuetrips for the April period and they show Regular rate as $260 and their rate as $169, which would be plus tax. But if you go to HyattPlace's site, you'll find a rate of $171 + 5% tax and you don't have to pay for it in advance - just when you check in. Valuetrips requires you pay upfront. Plus the hotel does NOT show a regular rate of $260. And, yes it used to be Amerisuites, but Hyatt took it over and refurbished all of the suites.

I just booked Embassy Suites for March 26 and the rate then is either $212.49 + 11% paid in advance and non-refundable or $ 237.49 + 11% for AAA or Senior rate and pay on checkin.

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks every one for the replies. We booked the Hampton Plantation per the suggestions here. Worked out really good because my husband has points so our night was free. I have been perusing this site since we booked our cruise, and have learned so much. Thank you all.
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Glad you found a hotel. I have heard good things about the Hampton and using your ponts is a great deal. I know the Embassy Suites can be higher priced @ $200 but we used our Capital One points to pay for it and we earned Hilton points to use for hotels in Europe. We thought it was a good price because we always get an early check in - 6 AM! That is 9 hours early so it is like being there 2 days and we got breakfast both mornings. Factor in the early check in, 2 breakfasts and free drinks at night, it's a good deal! We once book the Hyatt 66 and had to wait till 4 pm for our room.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Familiar Face

There won't be a problem with check in for us. We are flying into Miami since we could fly non-stop and it was much cheaper. Now we need to get a shuttle. Any ideas there? From Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and back.
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Old February 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks I will check them out. I really enjoy message boards like this. Everyone is so helpful. We went to Disney World 6 years ago with the kids. I found a board just like this one for Disney. Boy were they helpful and they saved us a ton of money. Nothing like been there done that.
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Staying at hotel night before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmc
We will be cruising to Caribbean in April. First time cruisers here. We will get or own air from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale. If we take the Red Eye do we need (or do you all suggest) we get a hotel the night before instead? And if we do get a room, do we get our own transportation and take our own luggage to the ship? We will get our own air because it will probably be cheaper. Not quite sure how it wold work either way. Thanks for the help.
If you fly a day earlier you can probably get a 1 day pre-cruise stay.

This includes FLL- Hotel shuttle , 1 night hotel & shuttle to ship.

In Jan 2010 ( Golden Princess to Hawaii) this is costing $85 CDN each.

My estimated cost was about $200 US for this.

Have your TA call Princess or call direct to ask.

This can be done even with your own flights.

Better than a red eye. After most re-eye's I want to save for a

week.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess