Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Beginner

Default Pacific Princess - Alaska cruise

Has anyone been on the Pacific Princess before and done the Alaskan Cruise? We have done the Alaska/Lanc cruise before but on a larger ship. This time the ship is smaller and we are on it from Seattle to Alaska and back to Seattle. We will do 3 new ports to us - Kodiak, Valdez and Seward. Any suggestions for tours. I have just started looking at the side trips and like the new format of the little video for each trip. Is the food on this ship similar to the others? If you do not want to eat in the dining room is the buffet room open for suppers at night? Could use any tips, suggestions etc.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Passenger

My wife and I absolutley loved it. The R Class are my favorite ships. But we do not need to be entertained. We could care less about onboard entertainment. Others on our cruise complained that the nightly show was not up to the standards of bigger ships, and complained that there were not enough retail shops onboard.

Look honestly at yourself and what you expect from a cruise. Do you want a big evening show or do you like to sit on your balcony and read a book?
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Pacific Princess - Alaska cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiled
Has anyone been on the Pacific Princess before and done the Alaskan Cruise? We have done the Alaska/Lanc cruise before but on a larger ship. This time the ship is smaller and we are on it from Seattle to Alaska and back to Seattle. We will do 3 new ports to us - Kodiak, Valdez and Seward. Any suggestions for tours. I have just started looking at the side trips and like the new format of the little video for each trip. Is the food on this ship similar to the others? If you do not want to eat in the dining room is the buffet room open for suppers at night? Could use any tips, suggestions etc.
I know your feeling...we have always sailed on Celebrity, the larger ships and was somewhat apprehensive on sailing the Pacific Princess next month. I will say, we did a lot of research and read many, many reviews on the Pacific and Tahitian. We think we made the right choice. You can definitely look forward to our review of the ship, once our sail has ended.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
First Mate

My wife and I took the Alaska cruise from S.F. roundtrip, on the old Regal,and to this day it still ranks as on of the best we have ever taken.
You will enjoy it.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

We spent 34 days on the Pacific Princess in 2007. It was wonderful! The food was great, the service as well. Fewer people meant faster service in the dining room. The buffet always had a good selection. We ate dinners there often the second half of the cruise. I loved the smaller configuratiuon of the ship. It also meant you got to know people as you tended to run into one another more often. There were enough shops to get me in trouble, enough evening music venues to provide a good variety, the shows were smaller scaled but enjoyable- we got to enjoy them twice some nights as our cabin was almost directly over the stage!!
Kodiak is beautiful. My uncle lived there for many years and we visited him for several weeks in the early 90's. The town itself is a pretty standard seaport/fishing town. We went halibut fishing, salmon fishing and drove around quite a bit. I would imagine a guided tour to more interior parts of the island would be absolutely incredible.