CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   port cancelled for 'operational reasons' (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/361510-port-cancelled-operational-reasons.html)

sparrow February 17th, 2009 02:58 AM

port cancelled for 'operational reasons'

I am booked on the Grand for a transatlantic repositioning this nov. The port of Dakar was cancelled for 'operational reasons'. Anybody with inside knowledge know what the reason was; and was does 'operational reasons' generally signify? I was wondering if some disagreement with the port authorities, or for some security reason.

I know this is a narrow topic, and probably of not much interest; but if someone knows, would appreciate letting me know.

Thanks

sparrow

huebie February 17th, 2009 10:59 AM

You might try "edited for content" and see if there is a roll call for your cruise. Someone there might have more information.

Ron n Jon February 17th, 2009 11:55 AM

From we who have sailed the Grand to the Port of Dakar let us say that for whatever reason this port of call has been cancelled, Princess has done you a favour. Unless of course you are interested in having the local hospital pointed out to you three times in the one tour.

We did so look forward to our first steps on the African continent but let us assure you that those first steps should have been at Casablanca.

Irish Shark February 17th, 2009 02:18 PM

On our last cruise, one port was changed due to operational reasons. The issue was there were too many ships in port that day and there was not a berth available for us.

About two months later, some how a berth became available and the port was added back on the intinerary.

sparrow February 18th, 2009 03:34 PM

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Just was wondering if involved security, with terrorist activities in parts of Africa (albeit not there).

Ron & Jon--Thanks for the input on Dakar. Dakar was just a novelty port to me; and after looking up information, I wasn't that excited. You just solidified my feelings. They substituted a port in the Canary Islands, which is ok by me.

Thanks again

Sparrow

phdewar February 23rd, 2009 08:57 PM

The port of Dakar was one of the stops on the trans atlantic Princess cruises last fall, going and coming. It was a really terrible place, something like being dropped off into the slums of a big city. There was no earthly reason to be there, and the incredible poverty made the begging terrible. Princess took a lot of grief over this stop, and if your cruise is skipping this port, count yourself lucky.
Did they offer an alternate port, or just a day at sea?

paul

sparrow February 24th, 2009 07:58 PM

Paul

They substituted a port in the Canary Islands. Much better

sparrow

ilovecruises22 March 8th, 2009 03:16 PM

I do belive it is somthing with to many ships in port at the same time, like some of you said. But not sure. I just got Montego Bay, Jamica canceled for my next cruise. So i was wondering the same thing.

subtropic March 9th, 2009 07:22 PM

The Canary Islands is a monumental upgrade believe me.

jimt March 13th, 2009 05:21 PM

I cruise to see different cultures. I thought Dakar was very interesting, took the Princess "Pink Lake" excursion and though it was great. I guess if you just cruise to do the same old things and don't cruise to experience 3rd world countries thats fine.

Ephraim March 15th, 2009 12:39 AM

We were in Tenerife in December.

It was a beautiful city. We walked around. Even found a Marks & Spencer store near the park in the centre of town. We didn't go, but apparently they have a beautiful parrot enclave.

There was a free city museum with some nice art exhibits in front of the park. And near the ship there is a hidden (free) museum underground that shows you the old battlements. (Not for the claustrophobic). Most people missed this one as it simply appears to be a set of stairs going down from the plaza.

The city also has some beautiful statues all over town and in front of the theatre. And a nice open air market called La Recova.

SaintRef March 19th, 2009 03:40 AM

I've been to all corners of the world and I can totally agree with the others on this topic. Dakar is the pits of the world :!: Even compared to other West African ports I have been to like Accra, Abidjan, Cotonou, it is the only one I truely feared for my safety. There are some nice tours such as The Pink Lake, or The Ganvie Slave Island, but just getting off the gangway is a nightmare. Tenerife may be 'just another port', but at least you'll live through it!!!

justagirl49 March 21st, 2009 11:36 PM

"operational reasons" can mean just about anything from safty concerns to an overloaded port. I doubt it has much to due with customer input, although that can have an effect when planning itineries for the coming year.

Boca del Verita April 19th, 2009 06:27 PM

Canceling Dakar may make me change my mind about the cruise

I'm alarmed to hear that Dakar may be crossed off the itinerary for the Rome to Manaus Nov 28 09 sailing. In fact, that is probably a deal breaker with me. I agree with the folks who want to see and experience other cultures and I was REALLY REALLY looking forward to seeing a bit of Sénégal! ...as well as Tunis and Morocco.

In fact, to see Africa and the Amazon are the only reasons I would take the time off work and shell out the bucks for this cruise. Canary Islands? Please, it's about as African as Carnoustie, Scotland, since it's a major holiday scene for folks in Britain, many of whom own second homes and vacation condos there.

From whence comes this report that Dakar has been canceled?? I can't find it mentioned on the Princess website?

Ron n Jon April 20th, 2009 03:41 PM

Re: Canceling Dakar may make me change my mind about the cru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boca del Verita
I'm alarmed to hear that Dakar may be crossed off the itinerary for the Rome to Manaus Nov 28 09 sailing. In fact, that is probably a deal breaker with me. I agree with the folks who want to see and experience other cultures and I was REALLY REALLY looking forward to seeing a bit of Sénégal! ...as well as Tunis and Morocco.

We shared your enthusiasm for Senega as our first steps on the African continent. We were advised of and expected to see poverty unlike anything we had seen before which is the reality of this world. But when the bus stopped at a designated point the driver refused to open the doors for fear the hordes of beggars would overtake the bus. We drove around and around the city passing the same landmarks time and time again ending up near the university where we could safely disembark and stretch our legs. We were in this one safe location for almost one hour with nothing to see...

If local officials want and need tourism it is for them to set the parameters for our safety and offer something of interest that by our word of mouth will generate further visits.

sparrow April 20th, 2009 10:36 PM

(From whence comes this report that Dakar has been canceled?? I can't find it mentioned on the Princess website?)

I received a letter from Princess Cruise Line 2-3 months ago, advising me of the Dakar Port Cancellation. Also if you go to that cruise listing on Princess Web site, it will show the stop at Canary Island (day 9), then at sea until
Brazil. No port call at Dakar listed.

Sparrow

Boca del Verita April 23rd, 2009 11:57 AM

oops! I spoke out of turn!

Thanks Ron n Jon and Sparrow...After calling Princess cruises, I just realized that y'all are sailing on the Grand Princess, and I'm looking to sail on the Royal Princess (which is still stopping in Dakar)!

I'm sooo sorry about butting in! Hope y'all have a great trip!

grace and peace
(big) Boca <blush>

HLR April 24th, 2009 05:15 PM

I stopped in Dakar off a Holland America cruise a year ago.

Though I am glad I saw this port...and the folks who took the Pink Lake Tour had the most wonderful of times...I would never want to go again.

I took the expensive [$89] tour on a ferry boat to the little [fake] Slave island with a [fake] slave trading post...and it was a neat island to have seen. BUT...guests I met on the cruise were on the same ferry on their own for just a few bucks! Turns out that this slave trading post saw less than 300 slaves in it's useful time?

Unfortunately later I was hassled by a local who tried to "show us around" and when we finally offered him a few dollars to go away he said it was not enough and physically threated us and I thought "this is it...I am going to die in Dakar". We out ran him and went right back to the ship. No...I am not a senior traveler or yuppy tourist. I am a single 40 year old short little guy...nor did this didn't happen on a side street, but in the middle of a large open public park like square.

So...everyone has different views and is looking for a different experience. This was mine... Morocco...take me there! Dakar seems like just a pit stop for fuel and supplies.

HLR

Ron n Jon April 24th, 2009 08:26 PM

This is by no means meant as a derogatory remark towards the culture of Dakar but the local hypocricy should be reviewed. As the bus winds it's way through desolet streets of this city, the locals, mostly female, bring their hand to their face in an attempt to prevent being photograph, for that act is considered a theft of their soul.

When we approached the guard at the gates of the Presidential Palace we are informed that taking his picture is not allowed. As we stood beside this Cassack dressed guard in bright red and black uniform armed with an AK-47 , we pressed currency into his consealed hand and the loss of his soul was obviously most secondary as the cameras clicked away.