Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Beginner

Default Formal Dining

On Jun 22nd 09 we are cruising on the Dawn Princess out of Sydney, the question I have regards Dining especially the Formal Nights, I would like to go to these, but because we will be going on to Singapore after the Cruise, I do not wish to take extra clothes in the way of Formal clothing, will we be able to have a meal at another resuramt withour having to get dressed up

Osca (always a mainlander)
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can always have dinner in the Horizon Ct, the buffet...Just as good food, you just miss out on formal evenings in the dining room. All you need is a suit and a nice shirt, you may want to re-think just packing those few items...Its actually very nice having dinner in the dining room on formal evenings..

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Beginner

Default Formal Dining

THanks very much for your reply, I will look at what I can do in regards to the Formal Dining evening.

Regards Osca
(Always a mainlander)
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Donna on this one, you don't need to go crazy with clothing for formal nights, and it really is quite nice to dine formally in the dining rooms. All you would need is for a man - suit, shirt, tie, dress shoes, as for the ladies a nice cocktail dress, dinner suit or dressy pants with a silky, sparkly dressy top, heels
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Familiar Face

Why not rent a tux? My husband always rents one, and he loves the convenience. The tux has always fit well, and there's no hassle of packing a suit, and shirts, dress shoes, ties etc. The tux is hanging in your closet when you arrive, and your steward takes it away after the last formal night.
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
First Mate

As former formal night advocates, formal night (if you want to) formal night (if you do not want to) formal night with blazer, formal night with no jacket but a long large tie. It has all become ridiculous. Oceania had the right idea ions ago… if the customers say they do not want it, don’t schedule it!!!!

It was nice while it lasted… so was the Titanic!!!. For heaven’s sake, get rid of formal nights and we will all be much happier. Those who want to wear formal wear do so at your country club, do so at your daughter’s wedding, but let’s get use to the idea that there are no more REAL formal nights on the high sea, only those under false pretence where most passengers do not adhere to the code and the host company could care less in enforcing it.

When something that has been dead for some time becomes rancor, for heaven sake bury it!!!
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Beginner

Default Formal Dinners

THanks Huebie, any idea of costs for hiring
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Admiral

I'm a member of the "just dress nicely" club. People get way too nervous about formal nights these days. They are not like they were in the "golden era" of cruising. Society today has become far less formal and so it has on the ships as well.

As long as you are dressed decently ... a nice shirt and tie for a man (I honestly don't even think a jacket would be strictly required) and a nice blouse and skirt or pants for the woman, and you're good to go in most ships' dining rooms.

I have a tee-shirt ... yes, a tee-shirt ... that is solid black with multi-colored reinstones all down the front. I've worn that on HAL on formal nights, along with a black blazer, and guess what? I've looked just as "dressed up" as anyone else and had absolutely no trouble whatsoever enjoying my dinner in the dining room on formal nights. And, HAL is far more "stuffy" in regard to formal nights than Princess is.

So, I'm willing to bet that you go wear to the dining room the same clothes you are probably packing for your extended trip in Singapore. You'll be fine.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Beginner

Default Formal Dining

Thanks very much Kryos for your comments on formal dining dress, this may save me having to take a jacket, nice shirt and tie should be alright with black trousers.
I see you come from Philadelphia, we may well be there next year,as my wife has a friend living there.

Reggards Osca (always a mainlander
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Passenger

Formal nights can be difficult with travel by air with luggage restrictions. I have foud it easy to pack one ankle length black skirt and two different color lacy tops. This raelly helps to cut back on the luggage space.
Crown Princess - October 2007
Carnival Glory - June 2008
Emerald Princess - September 2009
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Passenger

You've gotten some great replies. One other thing, and its important. I feel the menu is more fabulous on those nights!!! What fun!!!!!!
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Formal Nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
As former formal night advocates, formal night (if you want to) formal night (if you do not want to) formal night with blazer, formal night with no jacket but a long large tie. It has all become ridiculous. Oceania had the right idea ions ago… if the customers say they do not want it, don’t schedule it!!!!

It was nice while it lasted… so was the Titanic!!!. For heaven’s sake, get rid of formal nights and we will all be much happier. Those who want to wear formal wear do so at your country club, do so at your daughter’s wedding, but let’s get use to the idea that there are no more REAL formal nights on the high sea, only those under false pretence where most passengers do not adhere to the code and the host company could care less in enforcing it.

When something that has been dead for some time becomes rancor, for heaven sake bury it!!!

When you view the brochures, you will see the image that the cruise line prefers it's passengers to follow, you will also find language in the brochure for detailed clothing on the different evenings.

Of course there is the horizon court for those whom want to cruise without bringing any formal clothes.

The remark about enforcement of the dress code, the management recommends the dress code and I have seen it enforced at times and other times staff turned a blind eye.
The same goes for children playing in the dining room and adults getting to drunk, I will leave the pool lounge chairs alone, thats a issue in itself.
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Yes, there are several dining venues open in the evening... ENJOY ~~!!~~