Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Default Emerald Princess Cruise, Part 12

Emerald Princess, Part 12

If it's Sunday, it Must be a Sea Day

It had been a very restless night in rough seas, and I didn't sleep well, so I was up by 6 a.m. to watch the waves and the white caps from our balcony.

Went for a light breakfast, (O.K. tea and a doughnut!) as I was participating in the Walk For The Cure this morning at 8:30, and I didn't want to be too full for the 5K walk.
In case you are not aware, the Walk For The Cure is a fundraiser that takes place on all Carnival owned ships, and the money raised through participants' donations goes to the Susan G. Komen Foundation to find a cure for Breast Cancer.
This was my third time participating, and I was thinking of our very own Judy as she goes through her chemo treatments.

Approximately 50 or 60 people showed up for the Walk, and Debbie, the entertainment staff, informed us that we would be walking indoors today, due to the high winds, heavy rocking, and the decks being so slippery from the ocean spray.
This was unfortunate because I love doing the walk outdoors all around the ship, with the beautiful views of the sea, but on this day, safety won out over the outdoors.

We walked from the Wheelhouse Bar on Deck 7 forward, all the way to Club Fusion aft, and back around again for 9 circuits equaling 5 km. There was a lot of weaving from side to side as we made our way up and down the hallways!

The walk was invigorating, and we finished in just over 30 minutes, returning to the Wheelhouse Bar for a lovely reception just for us. There was a wonderful array of fresh fruit kebobs, iced pineapple pops, juices and water which we all sampled.

Debbie gave us her thanks and told us we could find out the total we raised in the following day's Patter newsletter. It turned out that we raised $1, 508.75 for cancer research!

Following the walk I had a chance to sit down and chat with Debbie, a staff member of "a certain age" who had been hosting our Trivia games all week. She was a tiny little dynamo, and I had observed her at many different activities during the week, and she always had a smile and a kind word for everyone.

I asked her about how she ended up working on a cruise ship, because you don't often see women her age, especially on the entertainment staff.
She told me that 5 years ago, at age 50, she went through a divorce, the loss of her father, and had a breast lump removed, all in the space of a year. A friend had taken her on a cruise to cheer her up, and she was hooked.
She decided to make a complete life and career change (she had been a corrections officer!). When I commented, "what a change!" she replied "not really, prisoners, passengers, they're all the same!"
She certainly had the sense of humour and bubbly personality to handle the sometimes difficult job of entertaining thousands of passengers a week. It was a pleasure to be one of them!

As this was another sea day, it was another British Pub lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar.

We each tried something different, and it was just as good as last time. We commented that soon, the cruise line would be charging extra for this exceptional meal!

By the afternoon, the rocky seas had calmed down considerably, and we spent the afternoon relaxing in the sun just doing nothing at all, and enjoyed every minute of it!
I made up for doing nothing, by attending the 4:00 Pilates class, which was tough, but I felt good about it, and then I raced down to the Wheelhouse Bar at 4:30 for afternoon Trivia, which we lost again.
I guess we were just destined to be #2 for the rest of the week!

During Trivia, which James never joined us for, he came into the bar looking very serious, and I was instantly worried.
He informed me he had been called to the Purser's office for a phone call from his son, who told him that his oldest brother in the U.K. had died.
Of course he was devastated, but there was absolutely nothing he could do about it, as we were at sea with another 2 days before we would be home.
We relied on e-mail contacts from the ship for the next day and a half trying to get more information regarding funeral services etc. but couldn't find out anything.
As it turned out, and we didn't find this out until after we had returned home, his brother was not dead at all, and was actually on vacation in Alcudia Spain.
The phone message at our home had been completely misunderstood and it was the father-in-law of James' daughter who had passed away, and not James' brother, both of whom shared the same name!

Meanwhile, poor James believed that he had lost his oldest brother, who had been more like a father to him, and he spent the next 2 days mourning his loss.
Despite this crushing blow, he insisted we go ahead as planned with our late afternoon balcony cocktail party, to which we had invited our cabin neighbours Andy and Sharon. They were a great couple from England and we had a great time, enjoying some champagne, canapes and great conversation on our very salty balcony, as we watched the sun set over the horizon.

This evening in the Da Vinci Dining Room, we had a table for 2 and enjoyed another great meal. Next to us, coincidentally, was a couple from Quebec on their first cruise, and we struck up a conversation with them.
There were a lot of Quebecers as well as Canadians on this cruise, more than I had ever seen before.
As our Cruise Director put it, "Canada is closed this week - they're all on board the Emerald Princess!"

After dinner we went to see the re-scheduled performance of "Boogie Shoes", the production show that had been cancelled the night before. Despite the great singing, dancing, sets and costumes, we just did not enjoy the show.
We were still stunned and saddened by the events of the afternoon, and further saddened knowing that tomorrow would be our last day on board.
We were not in much of a mood for having fun, so we went straight off to bed afterward.

Stay tuned for our last sea day......
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

During Trivia, which James never joined us for, he came into the bar looking very serious, and I was instantly worried.
He informed me he had been called to the Purser's office for a phone call from his son, who told him that his oldest brother in the U.K. had died.
Of course he was devastated, but there was absolutely nothing he could do about it, as we were at sea with another 2 days before we would be home.
We relied on e-mail contacts from the ship for the next day and a half trying to get more information regarding funeral services etc. but couldn't find out anything.
As it turned out, and we didn't find this out until after we had returned home, his brother was not dead at all, and was actually on vacation in Alcudia Spain.
The phone message at our home had been completely misunderstood and it was the father-in-law of James' daughter who had passed away, and not James' brother, both of whom shared the same name!
There is a lesson to be learned from this. I can just imagine how terrible your husband must have felt. Whenever we go on a cruise (which is quite often) I always tell the people at home if anything happens that I can do nothing about I do not want to know about it until we get home.
Jim..