Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Default Emerald Princess Cruise, Part 11

Emerald Princess, Part 11

Leaving Antigua and a Rocky Night at Sea

Following the most amazing sail away party (on a another ship!) from Antigua, we went to dinner, and on this night, joined a table for 8, with the most charming waiter named Charlie.
He was quite the character, laughing and joking and interacting with the passengers.

The other guests at the table told us they had been sitting at Charlie's table all week, because he was so great.
When the Captain came on the P.A. system in the middle of our dinner to announce some rough seas up ahead after our departure from Antigua, Charlie did a stumbling/ balancing act that was quite hilarious.

Tonight's menu was the "Chef's Specialty" and quite frankly, absolutely none of the fancy selections appealed to me.
Another woman and I asked Charlie if there were any alternative choices, as they were not listed on the menu as usual.
He told us we could have steak or chicken, and we both chose chicken. He then assured us that our KFC, fries and cole slaw would be delivered soon!
Funnily enough, when our meals did arrive, they looked just like a KFC meal, with fried chicken, fries and cole slaw, although this chicken was much better, the fries delicious, and the creamy cole slaw was good as well.

Dessert, also a Chef's Specialty, was pre-determined on the menu, and consisted of 3 tasty samples of a raspberry mousse, a tiramisu inspired layer cake, and a mocha cream that looked like a hard boiled egg with chocolate shavings on top! All were delicious - no substitute menu needed here!

After a great dinner, and great company, we went to catch the comedian's act in the Explorer's Lounge.
Scott Wyler was very funny, and his rapid-fire jokes just kept on coming.
Following this, we tried to catch the late showing of the production show "Boogie Shoes" in the Princess Theatre.
Just as it was about to start, our Cruise Director Paul O'Laughlin came on stage to announce that the 2nd performance of the show would be cancelled due to the severe rocking of the ship posing a danger to the performers.
Apparently during the evening's 1st performance, a dancer had been injured and one of the sets had toppled over, so for safety reasons, they decided to cancel the 2nd show.
Much to my surprise, the audience, a full house, applauded this decision, rather than booing or complaining.

Our CD was right, the movement of the ship was becoming more and more noticeable, and we were beginning to feel the effects. Just to be safe, I decided to take a Gravol, and go straight to bed, but I had a very restless night, rocking and rolling and almost being tossed out of bed, all the while listening to the wind howling through the balcony door, and the cracking and creaking of the cabin itself.
It was a very rough night at sea, probably the worst I have ever experienced, and I was thankful not to get sick!

Stay tuned for a rocky sea day.....