Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Default Emerald Princess Cruise, Part 4

Emerald Princess, Part 4

Monday, March 2, 09

Our first Sea Day dawned rather cloudy and windy, not quite what I had been hoping for.
Nevertheless, I found a deck chair on an upper level, near the Sanctuary, and just relaxed for awhile. So nice not to have anywhere to rush off to!

At 10:15 it was morning Trivia in the Wheelhouse Bar, and a fun time with Phyllis, Jake and Paul.
Back to the deck chair hoping for some sun, but instead, suddenly the clouds turned dark and the skies opened up into a raging rain squall! Everyone ran for cover, but we were soaked in seconds.
Then, just as suddenly as it had started, the rain stopped and the sun came out at last, and I enjoyed the rest of my morning relaxing on deck.

Lunch today was a treat. The Wheelhouse Bar was set up as a British Pub, with strands of Union Jacks hung around the bar.

The menu featured traditional pub fare such as Fish 'n Chips, Bangers & Mash, Ploughman's Lunch, and Cottage Pie.

Our choices of Fish 'n Chips and Ploughman's Lunch were excellent, and of course James also enjoyed a pint of Guiness!

We tried once again this afternoon to sit out and enjoy the sun, but instead, it proved to be mostly cloudy again and very windy and cool, so I gave up and went back to our cabin for a good afternoon nap. What luxury on a cruise!

Despite the fact that we didn't do much except eat and be lazy on this Sea Day, that doesn't mean that there was nothing to do! The day's schedule included many varied activities for all ages and interests; Ceramics @ Sea, Martini Demonstration, Ballroom Blitz Cha Cha lessons, Bingo, Tennis Tournament, Arts & Crafts, Special Interest Lecture, Pool Olympics, Champagne Art Auction, Water Volleyball, and Afternoon Tea, among many others.
Sometimes, there are just not enough hours in the day!

By 4 p.m. I was up and at the gym for my first Pilates class. A $10 charge applies for both Pilates and Yoga classes, but the Stretch classes were free.
This Pilates class, taught by a young man from Romania, was a lot tougher than I was used to. For every exercise he had us do, he wanted 20 or 30 repetitions instead of the 5 or 10 that I normally do, with no breaks in between.
He was like a slave driver - all he was missing was a whip! He also didn't spend much time explaining the breathing involved, which is a very important part of Pilates, and instead of soothing, relaxing meditation type music, we were assaulted with the loud techno-pop "music" that was playing to motivate the many people on the treadmills and stationary bicycles in the gym next to us. Not the most pleasant experience, but I did get a good workout!

By the time the class was finished, it was time to clean up and prepare for our first Formal Night on board.
The Captain's Champagne Waterfall Party was poorly timed to fall between the early and late seating dinners, as well as right in the middle of our anytime dining ( we usually chose the same time so as not to miss the evening's entertainment).
Consequently, this wonderful champagne celebration, which we had so enjoyed at 11 p. m. on 3 other Princess cruises, was missed by most of the passengers because they were at dinner.
We did manage to catch the tail end of it, watching passengers take turns pouring champagne onto the waterfall.

Missing the Champagne Waterfall was almost worth it, for the wonderful meal we had that night in the Michelangelo Dining Room. First, we managed to score a table just for the 2 of us, and our wait staff were friendly and efficient.
James had a wonderful shrimp and rice platter which he highly enjoyed, and my beef tenderloin medallions were just out of this world with flavour and tenderness.
For dessert, I enjoyed a delicious Cookies & Cream Parfait. What a great meal!

After dinner we headed to Club Fusion where we watched the Newlywed Not So Newlywed Game, which was quite hilariously entertaining, followed by participating in Majority Rules Trivia. This was a new one on me, I'd never heard of it before. Basically, there are no right answers, they collect everyone's answers to a question, and the majority of same answers win the point. For instance, "Who is America's Sexiest Man?" brought answers from Brad Pitt to Little Richard, with Brad Pitt winning the most votes.
We played with another couple, and we won! Princess luggage tags for all!

After our win, it was off to bed early, as tomorrow was an early port day.

Stay tuned for Part 5 in St. Thomas....