Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Sailed twice on Princess and the crew was aces. I have never had a rude crew member on any ship I have cruised on. Maybe it's me ?
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Familiar Face

We just got back from our 2nd Inside Passage cruise and I can't say enough nice things about the crew on the Star Princess. They were all very nice and everyone one of them acted like they were glad to have their job. They work hard and they work long hours. Maybe it was me too, Subtropic.
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Beginner

We just got back from the Diamond Princess, 5 of 6 people in our party got Swine flu. were treated as if we had brought it aboard, were charged HUGE fee's for doctor and scripts. Other that that, it was a bad experience
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
Sailed twice on Princess and the crew was aces. I have never had a rude crew member on any ship I have cruised on. Maybe it's me ?
Hi subtropic,

I have sailed on Princess 14 times and also have never had a rude crew member. So it's not just you!!!

BTW all of my Princess cruises have been excellent and in reading most of the posts on this thread that seems to be the popular opinion.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Default WOW!!

As a Crew Member.............Thanks for all the great poSItive remarks.....from those that wrote them.........All I can Say is this.....

"YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME"....
"BUT WE DO PLEASE MOST OF THE PEOPLE MOST OF THE TIME"........

sea u at sea[/b]
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: WOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie08
As a Crew Member.............Thanks for all the great poSItive remarks.....from those that wrote them.........All I can Say is this.....

"YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME"....
"BUT WE DO PLEASE MOST OF THE PEOPLE MOST OF THE TIME"........

sea u at sea[/b]
It is nice to hear from a crew member. Thank you and happy sailing!
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Excellent Service

I've been on 7 Princess cruises, all on different ships, and with one small exception (steward not quite as diligent as all the others had been, but not neglectful either), I've nothing but superior service. Whether it was cabin stewards, Future Cruise Consultants, Purser's desk staff, bar staff, Maitre 'ds, servers in the dining room, staff in the onboard shops, or the great staff in the Medical Center, everyone was pleasant, polite, helpful, and professional.

This kind of service is why I have 2 more cruises booked, plans to book more, and ALL with Princess.

I'm NOT a cheerleader, just a very satisfied customer.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to oldmum45

this is an interesting topic as it is something we have been wondering about also

we have done 3 trips with Princess and have another 2 booked, so over all we dont find the staff poor, but at times not helpful

for example

our first trip Syd/ Akl on the Diamond was wonderful. Predominantly older Americans were the passenger make up. We did the Akl/syd return and found the crew not that helpful anymore and put it down to the fact the novelty had worn off. But on the last few days of the cruise we got to chat to staff that were getting off in Sydney and found it wasnt our imaginations - it was the fact that the passengers were mostly Australia/Kiwi and tipping isnt their style. This seriously impacted the service given. We started to tip and wow how things changed!!. A major example of this is the soda cards. We couldnt get service at all in a lounge and were barely tolerated when presenting to a bar.

We have just come back from 17 days on the Sun Princess, and found it to be poor again. This time we tipped as we went along, but the dinner waiters were poor, they made constant mistakes on the meals, then when we tipped they showed us better service on a table of 6, which became embarrasing!

the soda card was a waste of time as we couldnt get service at all this time, and so now wonder why the company offer them when their staff wont honour them. Our room steward resented our presence, after he had met the cabin occupants and then were changed to ourselves (another stuff up with the staff - they seperated mum, dad and 2 kids by 2 floors by offering one an upgrade!) It took a week for him to accept we WERE the entitled occupants, but once more it took a tip for that to happen.

We are back on the Diamond again, so it will be interesting if the service is the same - or if we notice it is a race thing. Australians and New Zealanders do not tip. It isnt in our customs and the crew know it and treat us accordingly I think

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Passenger

Having sailed on many different cruise lines but never on Princess, it was decided to give that line a try. We sailed on the Island Princess and the crew and the service they offered was outstanding. We are now looking into another cruise and have definitly decided to go with Princess again.
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Default NON-TIPPING AUSTRALIANS AND NEW ZEALANDERS

This is not the first time I have heard that at least Australians do not want to tip...WHY!!!! Should the tip be included in the price of the cruise..
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Familiar Face

I've cruised on the Diamond, the Royal and the Coral....soon to be cruising on the Coral again in Dec. and I've never had staff or crew being rude...all were very nice and helpful...this is the reason why I continue to cruise with the Princess cruise line....also cruised on the Carnival and found it to be nice also. Sorry about your experience...but don't give up on Princess, u just ran into someone who was having a bad day... [/b]
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Passenger

Default Re: NON-TIPPING AUSTRALIANS AND NEW ZEALANDERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
This is not the first time I have heard that at least Australians do not want to tip...WHY!!!! Should the tip be included in the price of the cruise..
to an aussie - yes it should be

in Australia, if you work in a restaurant, or any service industry, you would be earning a decent wage. For example, if I were to work at our a supermarket, or a wal-mart type store, as an adult I would earn anywhere from $18.00 per hour to $25.00 per hour, with holiday pay (4 weeks,) 9% super annuation paid by my employer, and sick pay (10 days per year)

I know when travelling the states, a waitress was earning $2.00ph and living on tips. That simply doesnt happen here.

We think the employer should re-imburse the workers, but the culture of tipping is beginning to take on here, but most aussies resent it.

I personally, do as the romans do, and think that it is an "extra" cruise charge, and am very willing to pay it to the cruise staff, as that is how they earn their living, and my cruise would be miserable with out them!

hope this explains it a little

regards

mum

Old August 9th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchurdiet
I've cruised on the Diamond, the Royal and the Coral....soon to be cruising on the Coral again in Dec. and I've never had staff or crew being rude...all were very nice and helpful...this is the reason why I continue to cruise with the Princess cruise line....also cruised on the Carnival and found it to be nice also. Sorry about your experience...but don't give up on Princess, u just ran into someone who was having a bad day... [/b]
I just wanted to add..

I have NEVER had cruise staff obviously rude to me - just always busy elsewhere when a drink is required, or they very politely say "yes" and then never return..

and this has been on the 3 cruises we have done with Princess.

BUT after saying that..I think it would be the same on any cruise, and we have experienced it many times when travelling and we dont tip.

so we wont be giving up on Princess as I think they have a value for money product.

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Default AS OTHERS DO

"I personally, do as the romans do, and think that it is an "extra" cruise charge, and am very willing to pay it to the cruise staff, as that is how they earn their living, and my cruise would be miserable with out them!" When we are traveling we always ask when we get a bill, whether in this country or not... is a service charge (tip) included...because restaurants here automatically add 18% or something in other cuntries. It just a matter of customs I guess.
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As I have worked on ships, and sailed on over 100 cruises I think I can spot a good or bad employee immediately. I can tell when an employee cares about his job or when he is just going through the motions.

As our Linda (Trip) has pointed out, two people can go on the same ship and experience completely different things. Ship's staffs vary a great deal from line to line, but people are people so a staff on a cruise ship can vary a lot as well.

If you are used to Carnival and like that kind of very friendly crew interaction then you may be put off by Celebrity or Princess where they tend to be less intrusive and do their jobs more quietly. Its kind of hard to explain the difference, but on Carnival they try to treat everyone like old friends and they are about getting people involved. They joke with you and may ask you questions about your day, etc.

Personally, I think Carnival has some of the best crewmembers anywhere. They treat them well and they enjoy being on the ship. I know that is surprising for one of the most mainstream lines in the business, but I believe this.

On Celebrity and Princess they are more serious and refined, focusing more on giving you service but not really getting as personal with you. I prefer this kind of service (Im not much of a small talker) but I completely understand people who prefer the Carnival kind of service.

I have run into a few less than friendly staff people on Princess, but I don't go on a ship just to interact with the staff. IN my mind they are there to do a job, not to socialize with me. I realize that is a bit of a jaded view for this board of very experienced cruisers but I don't think my view is unusual for many less experienced cruisers, - ANYWAY....

I have also encountered a few less than friendly staff people on Celebrity. One Maitre' D floored me with his attitude on Century.

One thing that comes out here is that the smaller and older ships seem to get the bad apples. I am saying that while the majority of crew on a small ship may be great, you are more likely to meet a surly Maitre' D or shorex on a small ship. They weren't put on one of the smallest ships in the fleet because they are so great at their jobs. Let's just say that when I run into an attitude from a staff member on a smaller ship I am not surprised. This would be Sea Princess or Celebrity Century, for example.

I also never let one bad apple ruin a cruise for me. I talk to the staff people who seem to want to get to know me, and the ones who don't I leave alone.

Working on a cruise ship is a very stresful job. These people generally have to be on duty seven days a week, and for hours every day. They are going to have bad days. While there is no excuse for them being rude, I suggest you give them the benefit of the doubt at least once. If they are just as bad the next day that is a different story, though.

[/b]
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Default THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Being an employee on a ship it has to be very difficult to be "ON' at all times in the vicinity of passengers. Just put me in the type of client that prefers Celebrity experience..lol..attentive and friendly, but not overly friendly, I resent being called by my first name...so call me a snob... There is no reason why staff has to become my buddy.. the next week or two weeks they go over it all again as we disembark.. Yes, there are some cruise members that you have an infinity for and maybe y our drawn together.. And a big THANK YOU about discussing two people seeing the same thing on the same exact cruise..This has happened to us.. on a cruise ship recently.. and on our favorite resort in the Dominican Republic.. where somebody wrote they saw broken toys in the pool.. I was at that pool every day for a week and saw no such thing.. The negative item about a staff member were sent directly to the Director of the Hotel rather than publish it (entertainment staff) on a forum.. As a side bar.. Disney has a Managment style/course that I personally had to attend at our local hospital.. the front stage and the back stage.....it is attitude..towards EVERYBODY, fellow employees, M.D.s patients, and their families.. So I can just imagine what your life was like... You probably went "backstage-to your cabin" and tossed things or swore up a storm..lol...Let me let you in on a past secret...Parrot Pop and I were one time "shoppers at hotels, restaurants, etc.".. and our job was to note the Little Things..not to mention the honesty of employees.. that is why I may not notice the art work on a ship but I do notice the cleanliness and the interaction between staff and clients. Sad to say that many a bar tender especially has been relieved of duty/fired for misdirecting bar funds.. and if needed we would have had to have gone to the unions for the company..
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Captain

Paul Motter,

Thanks for a fair and honest comparison about the service on cruise lines and the slight differences between most mainstream/premium cruise lines when it comes to onboard service.

I usually cruise about once a year , but I just booked my 3rd cruise, this year, on Princess. The Princess bargains of $299 for a week cruise to Alaska proved too much to resist this spring. The service on Princess was just outstanding on my first two cruises this year.

I may have just been lucky but I have been blessed with good service on all cruise lines. What I now focus in on in when selecting a cruise line is the ship condition, reliability and the way management reacts when there is a problem. Over the past several years, Princess has moved way ahead in those two departments.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old August 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with the poster who said she doesn't want to be addressed my her first name by the cabin steward, the server in the dining room, etc.

I'm not a snob by any means, and I certainly don't think those people are "beneath me". I am and will be polite and pleasant, and undemanding, to them, but it's my vacation, and the services they provide are part of the total experience I am seeking. But they are not my new best friend!

I KNOW what it is like to be in a deferential position. I'm a retired RN, and years of providing bedside care provided me with exposure to all kinds of treatment and attitudes from patients and their families. Most were gracious and grateful for the care I provided. But there were always the few who were never satisfied, felt they were entitled to more care and attention than anyone else, and complained about EVERYTHING.

Pretty much what I am sure cruiseship's staff put up with.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Default BARGAIN CRUISE

"I usually cruise about once a year , but I just booked my 3rd cruise, this year, on Princess. The Princess bargains of $299 for a week cruise to Alaska proved too much to resist this spring."

YOU must know somebody to get a cruise for $299.00 for a week to Alaska.. I assume it's an outside cabin with a balcony..mid-ship... As somebody from the Northeast there is no way that I want to go to Alaska... even in this 95 degree heat and high humidity we are having here right now.. Whales can be seen off the coast of New England... those gentle giants and o course the sea lions and seals..as for glaciers...ice and snow aren't my style..lol
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Familiar Face

Been on the Crown once, Diamond twice, Sapphire once, Sea Princess once and headed to Hawaii on the Golden in March. I have never encountered anyone on any of those Princess cruises that I would even consider moody. The service was second to none in my opinion. But thats just me.

Old August 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Captain

Default Re: BARGAIN CRUISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
"I usually cruise about once a year , but I just booked my 3rd cruise, this year, on Princess. The Princess bargains of $299 for a week cruise to Alaska proved too much to resist this spring."

YOU must know somebody to get a cruise for $299.00 for a week to Alaska.. I assume it's an outside cabin with a balcony..mid-ship... As somebody from the Northeast there is no way that I want to go to Alaska... even in this 95 degree heat and high humidity we are having here right now.. Whales can be seen off the coast of New England... those gentle giants and o course the sea lions and seals..as for glaciers...ice and snow aren't my style..lol
Actually I did not have to know anybody to get the great price on Princess. All I had to do was to go to the princess web site and log in. After that I just looked at prices for early May on Princess. It is true
that Princess does offer great prices on some cruises to all members of their past passenger program. Some cruise lines do have almost non-existent benefits for their past passenger program, but fortunately Princess does offer very good benefits to their past passengers.

The cruise you were referring to with the price of $299 was for the May 11, 2009 sailing of the Island Princess to Alaska. It is true that Princess does offer excellent value but the $299 price was for an inside cabin and not as you had thought an "outside cabin with a balcony, mid-ship". Sorry to disappoint you on that one.

On the bright side on the first few cruises Princess did throw in a free upgrade to elite status for the first few Princess cruises to Alaska this year. This included a free complete bar set-up, free tickets to the wine tasting, priority boarding and disembarkation 150 free Internet minutes and other perks. No wonder I want to stay with Princess!!!

As soon as they have majestic mountains, an untamed wilderness, moose, caribou, bears and decent temperatures, I will stop cruising to Alaska and try a cruise along the East Coast.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old August 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Default N.E. CRUISE

As soon as they have majestic mountains, an untamed wilderness, moose, caribou, bears and decent temperatures, I will stop cruising to Alaska and try a cruise along the East Coast.
Oh,but do..lol. As a matter of fact sadly many of the cities/towns have moose and bears wandering through their back yards.. I swear...seriously.. Of course there is the famous Mooosehead Lake in Maine..then you have to go there fishing probably.. and we do have the whales,the seals and yes...majestic mountains, Arcadia Park and fall colors and glorious fall foliage... did I mention real Maine Lobster....no we don't have ice glaciers, but wonderful windy roads some leading to blueberry farms right now.. For me personally I could never book an inside cabin.. no offense...
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: BARGAIN CRUISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra

Debra
It's true, Debra, we have many of those things you mentioned. Two days ago, a friend of mine witnessed humpy's bubble-netting off the NH coastline.

I have had personal encounters with bears, and prefer to never have to go through that again. :o

Many of my family and friends who live here in NH have gone to Alaska and cannot stop talking about it. Perhaps the difference between the two states is our mountains take some time to travel to and enjoy, there are no glaciers here, and you can't sit on your balcony and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Almost all travel inland involves driving a vehicle. We have dog sledding and even some gold panning.

With that said, the Northeast has beautiful destinations.

All in all, I have never met a person who disliked being on a cruise ship or being in Alaska, or both. And I cannot wait to find out for myself...72 more hours!

Looking forward to that glass of champagne on my balcony while the Alaskan mountains pass by!

Sweet Sailing!

Old August 21st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Captain

Worthew8 (Peg),

I know how beautiful the Northeast can be. We used to spend our summer vacations in Bar Harbor Maine. I do apologize and it was not my intention to put down the beautiful Northeast part of the country. This is a poor excuse, but I got caught-up in responding to a "friendly" dig from another poster, who I should have just ignored.

Enjoy your cruise and please post a review of your impressions when you return from Alaska.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
First Mate

Debra,

No worries! I just wanted other readers to know what New England has to offer. No apologies needed and no offense taken.

I'm looking forward to sailing with Princess and posting my thoughts of the experience (good and/or bad) when I get back.

Sounds like you and I are in the same 'boat'.

Ship happens,

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default FRIENDLY DIGS

Hi Nurse Debra...lol...Just want you to know that those "digs" are meant to be tongue in cheek...please don't feel offended.. As for worthew8,
We obviously love New England..and I for one do not leave in the winter to become a "snow bird" or go cruising.. Parrot Pop doesn't agree with me, but I prefer seeing the rest o f the world before Alaska..lol..We all have "bucket lists" and lately I've been knocking a few off my list..Msny of the places we have discovered on our cruises.. I love, just love going back to. Most important our lives are filled with wonderful memories, places and people we have met on cruises and the net. As Auntie Mame says something about most of the world is starving.. they don't travel....
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Captain

Worthew8,

Thanks for your understanding about my comment. This spring, I sailed the Island Princess to Alaska and it was fantastic, as on all of my Princess cruises. One of my big hang-ups is the condition and reliability of the ships that I sail. The Island Princess was in excellent condition, the food was very good and the service could not have been any better.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the beauty of the last frontier, which is Alaska.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old September 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Worthew8,

Thanks for your understanding about my comment. This spring, I sailed the Island Princess to Alaska and it was fantastic, as on all of my Princess cruises. One of my big hang-ups is the condition and reliability of the ships that I sail. The Island Princess was in excellent condition, the food was very good and the service could not have been any better.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the beauty of the last frontier, which is Alaska.

Debra
The food and service were both excellent. The ship was in great condition, everything was clean. I think all the crew were outstanding, especially my escorted land tour guide. Marjerie Glacier calved before my eyes and the whales were everywhere! What beautiful country, a trip I will truly never forget. So glad I spent a week on land first, the last frontier is spectacular, by both land and sea!!!

Old October 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Familiar Face

Have been on 31 cruises . We just completed our 16th on Princess. On every cruise we have NEVER encountered a rude crew member. On our recent cruise on the Crown the crew was outstanding. We never passed one crew member who did not greet us.
THANK YOU PRINCESS !!!
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default UNFORTUNATE

It is unfortunate when on your first Princess cruise you "run into" a rude employee, i.e. the Purser and an imcompetent Room Steward...It does leave a bad feeling.. I'm happy you ALL have NEVER had a rude or indifferent employee on your Princess cruises.. :|