Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Default Aft (beam) balconies

I am going on my first cruise in a couple of weeks on Caribbean princess. we booked an aft balcony with a beam on it. I guess some people have called it the "dreaded beam" balconies, but others love the aft balconies. I was wondering if anyone has ever stayed in one of these rooms and how it was? Any information would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Familiar Face

Last year we had a aft cabin on the Princess. Good and Bad, first the bad.
No breeze at all so it's HOT,you feel the engine's when the ship is docking or anchoring, and our room had only partial partitions between rooms. Made it hard to kick back in the nude. Good points, your close to the food,depending on your deck it will only be a deck or two above. Also your view is fantastic. We enjoyed sitting out at dusk and watching the wake behind us. Also this is not a big deal,but there was less traffic in the hallway back there,so less people tromping by your door late at night.

I'm sure you will have a great time, there's alot to do aboard the Princess.
My wife and I loved the thermal santuary they have in the spa, you need to check it out. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Passenger

The rear cabins on the Carribean appear to be the same as on the Grand.
In this case, depending on the cabin you`re in, you could have a problem.
The suites E73 and E74 as well as D73 and D74 are small... no extra chair or settee. Also they are located directly beside the main AC units for the ship.... check the floor plan, that big empty space is full of machinery.
Very noisy machinery, and the bed is positioned with your head right up against that wall. Bring ear plugs.
E73 and E74 also have a partialy obstructed view due to a support beam.
Paul
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Familiar Face

I absolutely adore the aft cabins. I have been in B-753 on both the Diamond and the Sapphire, C-751 on the Crown and C-747 on the Sea. It is pretty quiet most of the time. I will say that C-747 on the crown had that dreaded beam. It was a bit annoying in terms of the furniture. I had to rearrange it depending upon whether we were going to use the table or whether we were going to use the lounge chairs. I had the steward remove 2 of the 4 chairs around the table just to make more room. The view from the bed was obstructed but not really a big deal.

As far as the noise from the engines or machinery goes, I don't know if I wasn't paying attention, too tired to care or I just tuned it out but I don't remember it being a problem. Please keep in mind this may be a different story on other ships.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Cabin C753 0n the Saphire is beside another cabin, not a mess of AC units. Ditto for cabin 753 on the Diamond. Ditto for Cabin 751 on the crown and C747 on the sea. All of these look like super rooms. I'll check floor plans out more carefully next time....
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Default thanks

Just wanted to thank you guys who replied to my post. All information was helpful, we are looking forward to our cruise! Maybe ill write a post about what i think of the aft balconies after my cruise. Thanks again....
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Captain

How was your cabin? We were thinking of upgrading on Enchantment and wanted to know how the aft cabins are?

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Beginner

We cruise on June 29, ill be sure to let you know how the aft balconies are when we return. 2 1/2 more weeks! cant wait!
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Captain

Please do, we changed to an aft room balcony. We want to know if you notice much more movement. And how is the view. I'm so excited that we changed, as long as it doesn't make me sea sick I'll be ok!

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Beginner

ive hearing alot of good things about the aft balconies from other people. They said there are a few on the baja deck(depending what ship your on) that has a beam right through the middle of the balcony, the others are on on the sides and not too much a hinderence. WE are on the dolphin deck on the CB...like i said before ill post when i get back. Cant wait, 2 more weeks!