CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   princess vs. royal caribbean? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/364823-princess-vs-royal-caribbean.html)

sameee395 May 26th, 2009 10:58 PM

princess vs. royal caribbean?

i've been on royal caribbean [explorer&voyager] several times but have never been on a princess cruise. this year we're thinking about either going on the caribbean princess or the royal carib explorer again. has anyone been on both and can tell me which they preferred? (food/entertainment/etc)
:-P

Donna May 27th, 2009 11:17 AM

Princess is a nice change, you'll most likely enjoy it. The level of entertainment isn't the same, no ice show...but the Horizon Ct is very good for your buffet breakfast and lunch, even tried it for dinner and it was excellent. Its a bit more laid back than Royal Caribbean, but they offer a nice cruising expierence.

Chuck Palm May 27th, 2009 08:56 PM

I've only been on RCCL a few times and have sailed princess about ten times. We prefer Princess overall but are glad to sail either cruise line depending on itinerary and price.

Often Princess food is a bit better and R.C.C.L. entertainment is usually a little bit better. Or so it seems to me.

jackieb May 28th, 2009 05:00 PM

Only been on 2 one was RC the other was the Crown Princess. Princess seemed a little stuffy. Not as much to do, even though we did enjoy the movie under the stars, were going back to RC this fall to see if I enjoy it as much as I did the first.

Triton May 28th, 2009 06:44 PM

I've only been on one Princess cruise and it was the smaller, Pacific Princess (former R3 ship). I DID do my homework before booking the Princess cruise though, but still was disappointed.

I think Princess is more casual than RCI. I didn't find the service on Princess to be what I expected either, but it was only one cruise.

Princess has some pretty great ports and lecturers though, if you're interested in this. Also, I'm not a buffet guy but due to some unfortunate happenings, only ate dinner in the specialty restaurants and buffet. The buffet was pretty good and it was the same menu as what was being served in the dining room. I thought that was a nice offering.

I enjoy the entertainment more on RCI and the dining as well. Specialty restaurants IMHO are better on RCI.

I was told by a regular Princess passenger that I should have tried one of the larger ships, as my experience on the Pacific was not indicative of their overall service. If you do try Princess, maybe try a larger ship?

If you like RCI, Celebrity may be another good alternative for you guys.

cookie1207 May 30th, 2009 07:22 PM

Much perfer the crew and staff on RCI vs Princess. Celebrity beats both of them and has higher staffing levels. Give them a try.

skymaster May 31st, 2009 07:01 PM

As they say in the car business,,there's an @ss for every seat! :roll: I'm just the opposite of Cookie, and I very much prefer Princess to RCI. I do agree that Celebrity is excellent, but not nearly as good as they were even a couple of years ago. I just think that RCI has cut back so much in so many small ways, and not reduced their prices at all so the value and service is no longer there. RCI used to be my favorite, but not anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'd still sail RCI, and have sailed RCI recently, but i personally prefer Princess, Celebrity, or even Carnival.

Ken
"SKY"

Princesscruisers August 18th, 2009 11:01 PM

I thought that my RC cruise was really nice. I wouldn't hesitate to go back on RC. However I would only do that if Princess didn't have the itinerary I was looking for. I much prefer Princess over RC.

LisaK August 19th, 2009 02:45 PM

it really is so difficult to compare, each line, each ship in fact basically has its own personality if you will. I have sailed on the Royal Princess, Sea Princess, Golden Princess and Freedom of the Seas, if given the choice of an identical itineary, accomodations and price i would pick Princess over Royal Caribbean, not to say that we didnt love our cruise on the Freedom of the Seas, but we felt that she was just too big for our personal tastes, and being that large with so many passengers aboard we felt that the service was a bit lacking, it was still fine but, Princess wins that one for us