Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Default Do you book through Princess?

I was just wondering if most of you book through Princess or through a TA. Our first cruise we booked through Princess but we're now looking at some on-line agencies. I'm a little leary of booking with someone I can't see.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Passenger

We personally book with a Princess Rep by phone, and then have the reservation transferred to our AAA agent who is minutes away from our home. If I have a question or problem I know it will be taken care of.
Good luck.
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM
First Mate

If you book with Princess at their shown price & then transfer it to a local, don't you feel as though your paying more by doing so. All the prices I see advertised are always less than what I see Princess charge. Why not just book with your TA and forget transferring it later on?
I'm I missing something here? What are the advantages?
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC
If you book with Princess at their shown price & then transfer it to a local, don't you feel as though your paying more by doing so. All the prices I see advertised are always less than what I see Princess charge. Why not just book with your TA and forget transferring it later on?
I'm I missing something here? What are the advantages?

REPLY: No, I never book at the shown price in the Princess book. I get lots of Princess promotions sent to me by mail. Lots of times my travel agent isn't yet aware of these great deals, and since they are limited I want to act on it fast. I courtesy book it with a Princess Rep (they will hold your reservation for 2 days if you want to think about it) then I transfer my reservation to my AAA agent to whom I will give my deposit and final payments. My AAA agent does not make a charge for this service and I am dealing face to face with a person that has given me excellent service so far. I hope I have given you some ideas. Good luck!
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Shopper 123: does your TA get compensation/commission from Princess if you book with Princess then transfer? I might be apt to try it the next time we book, but don't want our TA to miss any commission. There have been times when our TA was unavailable and we missed a bargain.
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Passenger

We book through Princess online since we haven't found a TA yet who can beat the rates. We watch for flash fares or until the prices decrease a few times and then we book.
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM
First Mate

We always book thru our T/A which is AAA, and she always checks for price changes, and we have never had a problem.
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Familiar Face

We have taken four cruises and did not book any through the cruiselines. The first the Grand Princess, booked through a local TA, who gave us a discount off the cruise line's price. Our remaining three cruises (one of which was on Princess) were booked through the same web TA, with whom a saved a substantial amount off the cruise line's price, and also threw in some OBC. Although I do the initial research as to cabin selection, etc. through the cruise line's website, I see no reason to book directly with them. We've never had any problem doing this and have always received good service through the TA.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Passenger

I booked through Smartcruiser.com and saved a ton over any other I looked at.

Bob
Carnival Conquest 2007
Carnival Victory 2006,
Holiday 2004
Sovereign of the Seas (2),
Norwegian Sky 2008
Carnival Glory (11/29/2008),
Ruby Princess (10/25/2009)

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuuzer
We book through Princess online since we haven't found a TA yet who can beat the rates. We watch for flash fares or until the prices decrease a few times and then we book.
Hi Cruuuzer,

We also book direct through Princess for our cruises. We also watch for price drops ourselves because we feel that most TA's are far too busy to check for price reductions for every booking that they have. At the end of the day we feel that it is up to us to check for any fare reductions for our cruises.

Maybe I live in a cave, but I am not aware of Princess flash fares. Can you tell me about them and how to find them?

Thanks,

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Admiral

Default Booking through Princess

The one advantage when we did book through Princess was that if it was possible to get an upgrade I heard that the passengers who booked through Princess got first dibs..
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

We've always saved money by booking through a TA (online) vs. directly through the cruise line. In addition, we usually get some kind of onboard credit.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuuzer
Hi Cruuuzer,

We also book direct through Princess for our cruises. We also watch for price drops ourselves because we feel that most TA's are far too busy to check for price reductions for every booking that they have. At the end of the day we feel that it is up to us to check for any fare reductions for our cruises.

Maybe I live in a cave, but I am not aware of Princess flash fares. Can you tell me about them and how to find them?

Thanks,

Debra
Flash fares are usually deals the cruise lines offer, usually after final payment deadlines, in order to fill up a ship. You'll see them everywhere. Just go to any cruise agency site to find them. I believe flash fares are good for new bookings only - you cannot get the reduced rate on your present booking. Hope this helps.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Captain

We've only sailed once on Princess and booked directly through them. After signing up to receive their video and e-mail offers, they sent us an incredible offer for our Amazon cruise...and in a Mini Suite. I still cannot get over the price break they offered us for that exotic cruise.

It sounds to me as if Princess is pretty loyal to their passengers in providing future savings...I would stay attuned to what they may offer you. I get a lot of marketing and e-mail specials from them, still.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Familiar Face

I too have always booked directly with Princess and have nothing but good things to say about them. We book our next cruise while on the ship and end up giving them a small deposit and have an equal amount applied to our shipboard account for the next cruise. It's a win/win situation. I also love being able to do everying on line as far as selecting our port excursions and just keeping up to date on things.

Our next curise is in November to Italy and the Greek Isles. Princess is very loyal to past cruisers and offered us a deal so cheap (for a mini suite) that we just couldn't pass it up.

Hope this helps.
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher
I too have always booked directly with Princess and have nothing but good things to say about them. We book our next cruise while on the ship and end up giving them a small deposit and have an equal amount applied to our shipboard account for the next cruise. It's a win/win situation. I also love being able to do everying on line as far as selecting our port excursions and just keeping up to date on things.
You can access the "Cruise Personalizer" on Princess, select your shore excursions, reserve spa treatments, and otherwise access all your cruise information, regardless of whether your book with the cruise line or a TA. The only difference is that if revisions or cancellations are needed, that must be done through the agency you booked with.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Captain

To answer one poster's question about the advantage of booking direct with Princess. Many TA's will charge a cancellation penalty if you cancel or change a booking on a cruise ship. I like to book with the cruise line and then transfer the booking if any TA is offering a better deal. It gives me the best of both worlds.

As I said before, I always book direct with Princess, but the idea that if you book direct with Princess you have a better chance to get an upgrade is simply not true. While Princess is probably the best cruise line when it comes to giving out free upgrades, after taking 14 cruises with Princess and talking to those who have many more cruises than I do, the consensus of opinions is that there is no rhyme nor reason as to how Princess selects those wonderful upgrades. I have also spoken to several Princess reprensatives while on a cruise and the answer seems to be that it is a simply a random selection process for upgrades.

I always get a kick out of TA's, many of whom seem to want to claim they have an inside track for free upgrades with Princess and this also is not true.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Bottom line, with Princess (who does allow agents to discount from their commissions), if you're booking directly with Princess, you're paying more than you need to.

If you're dealing with an agent who doesn't offer a lower price than the cruise line you're dealing with the wrong agent. And if you're dealing with an agent who charges a cancellation fee, you're dealing with the wrong agent!

There are PLENTY of good travel agents who will discount their price, and will not charge any cancellation fees that the cruise line does not.

I noticed in this thread several people mentioned AAA. It's been my experience that they are generally amongst the most expensive national agencies.

Plus, if you are buying directly from the cruise line representative, and you have a problem which needs to be dealt with post cruise, those representatives aren't there to go to bat for you, as they work for the cruise line. A good TA will assist, and has access to the right people at the cruise line... who you'll have to hunt for.

Anyone can take an order. A good travel agent does so much more! My Blog a couple of weeks ago was on this very topic. I suggest you read it. Here's a link
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/2009...ng-buy-cruise/
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Passenger

I can tell you being an agent you do not always get the best price booking directly with the cruise line. There are group rates available to agencies that can be less money for the same cruise. Another perk could be ammeity that your agent could get you. Agents also can discount their commossion, which saves you additional $$$$

So be iwse and find a GOOD agent!
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will echo Kuki...if you feel the need to book with the line..why not then just transfer it to a ta afterward.? Having an advocate, who will fight for you, with possible issues, is golden!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Beginner

We've booked four cruises on Princess, two through the cruise line and the other two with two different TA's. Place a deposit for your next cruise while onboard. Instant OB credit which can be combined with whatever the TA offers. We usually get back more than our deposit because we like longer cruises. Last time on our South America cruise, we were given an upgrade when I specifically asked not to have one. I initially booked my balcony on the left side(shore side for viewing the glaciers in Chile) of the ship. Nothing I could do to change the situation afterward and we were very dissappointed. I can't explain why this happened. Our next cruise to Australia and the South Pacific has been booked through an agent, who offered a $400 per person discount over the cruise line. The cruise agent told me there was no discount on this cruise for past cruisers, which also was a surprise because it hasn't been true on previous sailings. I think it's a random walk. I'm with the person who says book with the line and then transfer to the TA. Our 2nd TA was an online agency and I would use them again. Though most of the communication was via email, the agent did go to bat for me over airline reservations and even called me personally to confirm his answer. I'd use him again too, if possible.
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've only booked with Princess once...most times I've booked with Travelicity ... this time thru a TA....with the TA, u get perks, which I really like.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just booked our cruise. TA saved us $400 and got us an onboard credit. Also booked our airfare and hotel together and saved $300. You can't beat that.
Mariner of the seas 2008
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
First Mate

Default luck

Perhaps it takes many attempts to find a good TA. The question is...do I go with something solid, or, do I keep trying cruise after cruise to find a good TA.

Gambling pays off at times. How much do we gamble before we have to find a good TA?

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Atlanta_Cruiser
Default Re: Do you book through Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23guys
I was just wondering if most of you book through Princess or through a TA. Our first cruise we booked through Princess but we're now looking at some on-line agencies. I'm a little leary of booking with someone I can't see.
Hi. Thought I would let you know my experience.

I called 1-800-Princess and booked around 10PM one night. The CSR was an older woman that could barely hear and was a bit confusing, but I went ahead and booked a room. I figure I would just call the next day and get everything adjusted. I don't sweat the small stuff. The next day I got a call from Kathy, a Vacation Cruise Planner that was assigned to me through Princess!! All I can say is WOW!., Kathy immediately spoke to me and walked me through things a bit better...she changed my room and put me where I wanted to be. She was great! She sent me a thank you for doing business letter/email right after I got off the phone with her as well as all my confirmation paperwork. The next day I wanted to change my dining preference and shot her an email. She immediately got back with me and sent me a new confirmation. I have always booked directly with the cruise lines as I don't find the price difference much different.

I would highly recommend booking directly with the cruise line, but I might suggest you do it during normal working hours and get a daytime person, like Kathy

I hope that helps.

-Cory in Atlanta

PS: They are on PST zone. (California)
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Passenger

We always book directly thru Princess and they give great service and prices. I am skeptical about those who advocate so much for a travel agent I think there should be someway to limit these chats to passengers no TAs.
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Default have to agree with you, joycev

I booked online and am very careful and (I think) thorough in my choices. I do much research. TA's can be wonderful, they have helped me in the past. But with so much available online now, putting my own time in certifies the choices I want.

When I am not sure of a trip, TA's are very helpful. What I suggest is...figure out what you want ahead of time. These posts are wonderful when it comes to information. My last Princess cruise was booked online and whenever I had a question, the 800 number provided me with excellent service, great answers, and immediate verification via email on everything I needed/requested.

While I don't knock TA's, I think an informed cruiser will have the best vacation.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Captain

I would agree with the no T/A part on the boards EXCEPT I was a passenger loooonnngggggg b4 I bought my franchise ;>)

And I never solicit so why exclude me?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Passenger

If you never push gettin a ta, ANY TA; then I agree that you should stay on THE BOARDS AND CONTINUE YOUR GOOD ADVICE I love the good hints etc that long time cruisers give us. It is when the need to use a TA is strongly pushed that I get uneasy about their advice
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYCEV
If you never push gettin a ta, ANY TA; then I agree that you should stay on THE BOARDS AND CONTINUE YOUR GOOD ADVICE I love the good hints etc that long time cruisers give us. It is when the need to use a TA is strongly pushed that I get uneasy about their advice
Well, I'm not a Travel Agent, and I always say that if you want to save $$$ use a TA. If you don't, book with Princess.

Travel agents recommending travel agents is a natural. They know the "game" and understand that booking with one will save people money.

If they are actively posting to offer their own services, that would be questionable (and a violation of our board policy).

If people are happy thinking they get better deals from the cruise line, let them be happy, but those aren't the facts.

I'm not sure why anyone would be hesitant to use a travel agent. You don't pay them; they work on commissions from the cruise lines, and the right one will always save you money. Honestly seems like one of those "no brainers" to me.

Besides, if something goes wrong, who do I want representing my interests, someone who works for the cruise lines, or someone who works for me?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/