Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Captain

Default Golden Princess Tips and Favs

Hello Cruise Mates,
A girl friend and myself are cruising for the first time for both of us on Princess. We will be on the Golden Princess. I'm wondering for those who have sailed on her. What are your tips and favorite things about the ship and about Princess in general.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Your first few days, carry around a map of the ship, its not an easy one to navigate. Once you get the idea, it will be easier, just a little weird to figure out going from front to back on certain decks.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Your first few days, carry around a map of the ship, its not an easy one to navigate. Once you get the idea, it will be easier, just a little weird to figure out going from front to back on certain decks.
Hey Donna,
Yep I do that each time. But at least this time I'll be there 14 days. This is the longest I've taken. And it's on Princess I can't believe I'm going.

7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Familiar Face

Greetings, Huffca! We've sailed on the Golden twice. Beautiful ship. Great food, service, and entertainment. We sail with no expectations, we're never disappointed. Just kick back and enjoy. The thing I really like about Princess is the convenience of having self-serve laundry on board. We're able to pack lighter and save room for souvenirs.

Pixie Dust
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust
Greetings, Huffca! We've sailed on the Golden twice. Beautiful ship. Great food, service, and entertainment. We sail with no expectations, we're never disappointed. Just kick back and enjoy. The thing I really like about Princess is the convenience of having self-serve laundry on board. We're able to pack lighter and save room for souvenirs.

Pixie Dust
Hi Pixie Dust,
Yeah... I'm so excited. The time can't go by fast enough. Earlier this year I had a reservation on the new Carnival Splendor and I had to cancel. So when this came up I jumped at the chance. I've always wanted to sail on Princess. I love the fact that we are just a few cabins from the laundry. So since it's 14 days I'm packing for 7 and doing a couple of loads. Do you have any pictures of the Golden Princess?
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Passenger

We literally just returned from our Golden cruise about two hours ago. The map is critical for this ship because there are some dead end floors. If you stick to the Promenade deck, you can get from one end of the ship to the other, so that became very helpful when we couldn't remember how to get to certain areas of the ship.

Not sure if you can request a particular waiter or table, but we had Robert for a waiter in the Canaletto dining room (early sitting) and he was WONDERFUL! Excellent sense of humor, very attentive, and just made the experience that much better. We almost felt guilty not eating at our table last night (we went to the Crown Grill for our final meal).

We had pizza on the Dawn and was not impressed, however the pizza at the grill on the Golden was yummy! Both the crust and the sauce was great.

Nino, the auction director, was awesome. He is full of information. If you like art (even if you don't plan to buy), attend one of the auctions. You will learn a lot about art in general and particular artists. We went to every auction.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Captain

Awesome. Thank you for the tips. Would love to see your pictures when you get them posted. This will be my 1st Princess cruise. And the longest I've been on. So I'm quite excited.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:39 AM
First Mate

Hi, we just came off the Golden on Saturday and today Sunday I still have my sea legs. We loved this ship and we have also done the cruise to Hawaii on the Island Princess. What deck are you on as I can help you possibly with easy get arounds to various areas of the ship if I know the deck. The anytime dining rooms are in the center of the ship but if you have assigned dining it is on deck 6 which can only be reached by prominade deck 7 go to the back of the ship past the photo gallery and then down one flight of stairs. If you are using the elevators only 2 go to that area of deck 6 they are the aft (back) bank of elevators and the extreme right or left elevator and this is also the only 2 elevators that take you to skywalkers which is the shopping cart handle bar on the back of the ship and lovely place to watch the world go by, incidently we always find this area cool a shawl or sweater is nice to have. If you are dining at the buffet and it appears to be full if you walk towards the back of ship there is and extension of the dining area for the horizon court an area that was never crowded seemed like people did not go that far back to look for a table. This area also exits out onto the deck above the aft pool. This is our favorite place to watch sail aways from. Also a nice place to take a snack out to sit and relax on chairs in the warm sun on an Hawaii cruise. We loved the sea days to Hawaii and found lots to do. We were not happy renting a vehicle on the islands seemed to waste way to much time picking up and dropping off the vehicle. If I can help to further please let me know.

Sweet Regards
Carol
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymaker
Hi, we just came off the Golden on Saturday and today Sunday I still have my sea legs. We loved this ship and we have also done the cruise to Hawaii on the Island Princess. What deck are you on as I can help you possibly with easy get arounds to various areas of the ship if I know the deck. The anytime dining rooms are in the center of the ship but if you have assigned dining it is on deck 6 which can only be reached by prominade deck 7 go to the back of the ship past the photo gallery and then down one flight of stairs. If you are using the elevators only 2 go to that area of deck 6 they are the aft (back) bank of elevators and the extreme right or left elevator and this is also the only 2 elevators that take you to skywalkers which is the shopping cart handle bar on the back of the ship and lovely place to watch the world go by, incidently we always find this area cool a shawl or sweater is nice to have. If you are dining at the buffet and it appears to be full if you walk towards the back of ship there is and extension of the dining area for the horizon court an area that was never crowded seemed like people did not go that far back to look for a table. This area also exits out onto the deck above the aft pool. This is our favorite place to watch sail aways from. Also a nice place to take a snack out to sit and relax on chairs in the warm sun on an Hawaii cruise. We loved the sea days to Hawaii and found lots to do. We were not happy renting a vehicle on the islands seemed to waste way to much time picking up and dropping off the vehicle. If I can help to further please let me know.

Sweet Regards
Carol
Hi Carol,

This is Carol too. :-) We are cabin 640b with is considered midship but it is more aft. Not far from the aft bank of elevators. Thank you for all of your tips. I'm so excited time can't go fast enough.

Hugs,
Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM
First Mate

Hi Carol,

Such a beautiful name we have. In order to get to a wonderful area to see sail aways or get to the quiet pool on the back of the ship walk up the nearest flight of stairs from your stateroom one floor. Now you are on aloha deck walk to the back of the ship (the room numbers get larger) there is a door with a window in it that opens from the aloha floor onto the back of the ship. You can now also go up the next set of stairs into the back of the horizon court where the tables were never full.

Sweet Regards
Carol
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Captain

Hi Carol,

Yes we do have great names. And thank you so much for your tips. I'm sending them to my friend Nicole. We work together and we are both Creative Memories consultants. We are going on this cruise together. She isn't a cruise mats member. Keep the suggestions coming. I am so excited. One of my favorite parts of travel is the planning and anticipation. Yeah :-)

Hugs,
Carol :-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Passenger

DON'T DEPEND ON THE LAUNDRY BEING AVAILABLE I discovered it is much easier to send our clothes out. Every time I went to the laundry room rhere was a long line' even to use the iron Some people just lined their laundry bags up rhe hall but that led to arguments and unpleasatness there were several chairs inside the room and getting one of them seemed to give tou a secure place in line but again I didn't go on a cruise to fight over an ironing board
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYCEV
DON'T DEPEND ON THE LAUNDRY BEING AVAILABLE I discovered it is much easier to send our clothes out. Every time I went to the laundry room rhere was a long line' even to use the iron Some people just lined their laundry bags up rhe hall but that led to arguments and unpleasatness there were several chairs inside the room and getting one of them seemed to give tou a secure place in line but again I didn't go on a cruise to fight over an ironing board
Thank you for the tip. :-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Captain

Bumping this up for Pixie Dust. Thank you for all the great info please keep it coming.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory