Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Passenger

Default Has Princess removed charges for ice cream? thanks

Hi there,
I know Princess used to have the Sundae Kreations at charge, it seems these are card? In the gifts section on the website they no longer are selling the ice cream cards, it's also no longer mentioned as carrying a charge on the dining options for the ships on the site.

Anyone been on a recent cruise and have an update on ice cream included? Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
First Mate

Just got off the Golden and you can buy an ice cream at the ice cream bar by the pool or you can order ice cream with dinner at any evening meal or at any lunch in the dining room and for these two areas there is no charge. When we cruised in the Caribean this past January they served ice cream at 3 every day in the Horizon Court for free. Happy licking!

Sweet Regard
Carol
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Default ICE CREAM ON THE PRINCESS

It was an unpleasant surprise to reaize that ice cream..is NOT free on Princess..EXCEPT when they have a SHORT time during the day when it is and passengers lined up to make their huge sundaes.. Jezz.. that and iced coffee was another example of our being nickled and dimmned on Princess... There is a cute ice cream/sorbet and toppings bar on all Celebrity and its GRATIS/FREE.. Why does Princess charge passengers except for about one hour during the day??
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: ICE CREAM ON THE PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Why does Princess charge passengers except for about one hour during the day??
The Ice Cream Princess charges for is 'premium' ice cream. I seem to remember it being Hagen Daz or something along that line. The Celebrity free ice cream is standard, run of the mill ice cream.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Captain

Sasco,

Very good point. I do know that on my Princess cruises this spring that Princess did offer free ice cream sundaes at all dinners in the main dining rooms and also had free ice scream available in the buffet at lunch time. I am cruising on Princess again this fall and will let you know what the story is about Princess ice cream gate!

Charging for ice scream, assuming you do not get enough of the free ice cream, is certainly no different than charging for soft drinks as most cruise lines do. As most of us know ALL cruise lines and not just Princess are all guilty of trying to nickel and diming you to death, with excursions, wine seminars, crystal seminars, art sales, etc. As are so many thing things like this it is just a minor fly on the wall to my over all cruise enjoyment.

Those kinds of things don't bother me a bit, as I am only concerned with the things that are truly important such as ship conditions and ship reliability, so I guess that is what keeps me sailing with Princess.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Admiral

My secret passion is the sorbets..not the ice creams.. and how do the two of you know it's not premium. as a matter of fact on Celebrity I belive they have new flavors everyday (possibly made fresh on board). ..and yes.. on Costa there is a charge for ice cream too. We in New England are ice cream crazy, spring, summer, fall and WINTER.. we all have our favorite boutique ice cream shops.. but better than that.. .we have small family ice cream stands... Today,, just because we had a large lunch with friends we by passed a famous ice cream stand in Tiverton/Compton, R.I...drat..
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
First Mate

As I recall, there was 'ice cream hour' each day on my ship two weeks ago (Sapphire).

I actually prefer not being charged for things I don't want. This is what made my cruise more affordable. By not paying for things I don't want, I feel like I have saved money.

Ice cream was offered as a dessert after my dinners. My guess is, if free ice cream is what you require at all times, Princess might not be your line.

Old September 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Admiral

It seems we are in "the same boat".lol.. in t his matter.. On Celebrity I often just have a dish of sorbet if Im in the mood after lunch..and truthfully after a large dinner, it find it refreshing... oh yes.. did I mention the scoop of sorbet is often accompanied by a pastry
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8
As I recall, there was 'ice cream hour' each day on my ship two weeks ago (Sapphire).

I actually prefer not being charged for things I don't want. This is what made my cruise more affordable. By not paying for things I don't want, I feel like I have saved money.

Ice cream was offered as a dessert after my dinners. My guess is, if free ice cream is what you require at all times, Princess might not be your line.
Worthew8,

Your point is very well taken. I also don't want to pay for things that I am not going to use. The cost of the "free" ice cream on Celebrity is already built into the price that you pay for a cruise. Considering the cost of a cruise, I too would rather pay for ice cream on Princess, if I felt that free ice cream at lunch and dinner was not enough. lol

If I may go off topic for a second, I will be sailing the Sapphire Princess, for the first time, in about a month and any tips or hints you can offer would be appreciated.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old September 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It seems we are in "the same boat".lol.. in t his matter.. On Celebrity I often just have a dish of sorbet if Im in the mood after lunch..and truthfully after a large dinner, it find it refreshing... oh yes.. did I mention the scoop of sorbet is often accompanied by a pastry
You will always find a selection of Sorbets on the dinner menu on Princess.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8

Worthew8,

Your point is very well taken. I also don't want to pay for things that I am not going to use. The cost of the "free" ice cream on Celebrity is already built into the price that you pay for a cruise. Considering the cost of a cruise, I too would rather pay for ice cream on Princess, if I felt that free ice cream at lunch and dinner was not enough. lol

If I may go off topic for a second, I will be sailing the Sapphire Princess, for the first time, in about a month and any tips or hints you can offer would be appreciated.

Debra
I really loved the ship. It was easy to navigate, never felt crowded (except on deck while in Glacier Bay, Alaska). This is where my balcony came in REAL handy. The ship had many nooks and crannies for quiet time. Check out the top aft bar, great views!

I loved the wrap around deck (7?) Get to the theatre early for shows. The bigger your crowd, the earlier you should get there. As a solo, there were many empty seats, even during the show, just not together.

In my eyes, the ship was very clean and well cared for. The cabin safe was too small for a laptop, but I had a balcony, does that matter? I'm happy I didn't bring a laptop, my phone gets full internet...checked my email in port.

Anytime dining was great and so was the food, please try the different dining rooms and use reservations if you plan to show up after 6:30 pm. Save one night for Sabatini's. The $15 (?) cover charge Well worth it! The Steak restaurant is a curtained off section of the buffet. It was so so (not bad), but I would probably skip it next time. The buffet was good for breakfast and lunch, did not try dinner there. The food there was good, but I was very satisfied with meals in the dining room. Please consider a Balcony breakfast if they have it on your cruise, WOW! All room service was great, the pizza, room service $3, free on Lido, was wonderful as well as the cheeseburger.

We had good comedy shows. If you gamble, I found a quarter slot in the non-smoking section in the corner that paid me $250 on the first pull. I think it was the red, white, and blue 7 slot. The entertainment shows I didn't stay to long for, just popped in. I probably shouldn't comment on what I didn't see fully.

As you know, fresh water pools. Plenty of pools... with an adult only at Lotus Spa (forward, Lido?) Great Sauna, steamroom, showers in there. You must try, no extra charge. One couple had brought a small child to the adult only pool. I made a pleasant remark and nicely informed them of the rules. They left, very nice couple.

I was on a cruise tour so embark/disembark was a breeze. The option of $20 express checkout was worth every penny. I didn't have to lug my luggage til final airport destination.

Employees were awesome, couldn't have been happier with the service provided in Alaska.

Let me know if you want more

[/u]

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Captain

Peg,

Thank You so much for the information. I printed it out and am going to take it with me on my cruise. I am going to try and hold the ice cream consumption to only at dinner time. lol My husband just retired this year so we are making the most of our new found leisure time. This will be our third Princess cruise in 2009. We have tried other so called premium cruise lines but have found that Princess is a true premium cruise line.
Thanks again for the pointers.
Debra

Winston Churchill

Old September 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM
First Mate

Quote:
It was an unpleasant surprise to reaize that ice cream..is NOT free on Princess..EXCEPT when they have a SHORT time during the day when it is and passengers lined up to make their huge sundaes.. Jezz.. that and iced coffee was another example of our being nickled and dimmned on Princess... There is a cute ice cream/sorbet and toppings bar on all Celebrity and its GRATIS/FREE.. Why does Princess charge passengers except for about one hour during the day??
We just got off the Diamond Sept 19th and the ice cream was free all day until about 8pm or maybe it was 6pm. My wife got it every day.

It was soft serve out by one of the pools.

I don't know if the Diamond ever had Scoops but if it did it wasn't there any longer.

Bill
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

THAT'S great news... for ice cream lovers and kids of all ages.. I could use a vanilla soft serve with jimmies right now.. On the other hand I can hardly wait to get to Italy to try all the different flavor gelatos.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Captain

Hello,

I was just surfing the Princess site. I found a nice chart "Dining Options per ship". It has a lot of great information. One of the sections is Ice Cream Bar. I shows that it is open from 11am to 6pm and that the charge is NONE. YUM-O

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Thats great news on the ice cream front! I always remember having to time it to get the ice cream!
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlking
Thats great news on the ice cream front! I always remember having to time it to get the ice cream!
That was always the hardest part for us, as well....the timing of it all.

Now, you can go and get all the ice cream you want, all day. Of course, they will try and only give you one scoop.....just do as my DH did, he gave the guy doing the scooping a "forelorned" look and got 3 scoops!
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Default FREE ICE CREAM

Can somebody tell me what the big deal is about getting FREE ice cream on cruise...even "premium"..I DON'T GET IT!!!... Here outside of Boston, Cambridge and Cape Cod we have so many "premium" ice cream shops whether it's Ben and Jerrys, Herrells, Coldstones, Annabelles, Toscanni's..and so many little Mom and Pop operations, some even associated with dairy farms, etc. etc. It has been said that even here in this area premium ice cream is popular all year round.. and I'm talking about the winter months too.. Is it because it's free? Just because it's free...is that the reason or is it because after all that food for breakfast, lunch, teas, pizza, etc.. you still feel you haven't gotten your monies worth...There is one word that comes to my mind...GLUTTONY
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Default Re: FREE ICE CREAM

Quote:
Can somebody tell me what the big deal is about getting FREE ice cream on cruise...even "premium"..I DON'T GET IT!!!... Here outside of Boston, Cambridge and Cape Cod we have so many "premium" ice cream shops whether it's Ben and Jerrys, Herrells, Coldstones, Annabelles, Toscanni's..and so many little Mom and Pop operations, some even associated with dairy farms, etc. etc. It has been said that even here in this area premium ice cream is popular all year round.. and I'm talking about the winter months too.. Is it because it's free? Just because it's free...is that the reason or is it because after all that food for breakfast, lunch, teas, pizza, etc.. you still feel you haven't gotten your monies worth...There is one word that comes to my mind...GLUTTONY
Whoa! What's got you more angry? The fact that people enjoy ice cream, no matter what the temp or time! Or, that you're not on a cruise?

Either way, the question did not deserve such a terse reply!
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Default HARSH COMMENT

Am I a cruiser.. you bet I am... just getting ready for our cruise on the 29th from Barcelona right now.. What made my answer harsh.. I guess it was the fact that the cruisers seem to think free ice cream is the be all and end all on a cruise.. because it is premium.. Perhaps I was wrong,but if there is one thing I can't get excited about after 24 years of cruising is FREE ice cream and don't understand the big deal. I do know on Celebrity always available is "free ice cream" and if I'm in the mood...exotic sorbet flavors.. Sorry if I hurt anybodies feeing, but it struck me that way...
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Captain

Default Re: FREE ICE CREAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROZMOR

Whoa! What's got you more angry? The fact that people enjoy ice cream, no matter what the temp or time! Or, that you're not on a cruise?

Either way, the question did not deserve such a terse reply!
Hi Roz,

Very well put!!!! I don't know what happened to my last post that seemed to just vanish, but if any one is concerned about ice cream, (I sure know I don't need any extra!), I am just off the Sapphire Princess. I did see a lot of passengers caring around ice cream. Don't know if it was premium, chocolate, vanilla, or whatever, but it was free. Of course, ice cream was always available at dinner and I did partake in that. lol

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old November 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM
First Mate

Ice cream after dinner, always a great treat, or on a warm day at the pool.
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Just got off the ruby....all ice cream cones and cups were free, even with sprinkles!!!....anything more had a small charge....sorbets were 1.50....
Carnival Conquest 2007
Carnival Victory 2006,
Holiday 2004
Sovereign of the Seas (2),
Norwegian Sky 2008
Carnival Glory (11/29/2008),
Ruby Princess (10/25/2009)

Old November 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Just got off the Caribbean Princes on Sunday all 3000 got off as she was going on a charter as a floating hotel in Trinidad. The ice cream and bits was free little didy cones only had Vanilla or choc but very nice, but you still have to pay for the milk shakes.

Was a bit disappointed with
Princes quite a few like us were booked on a 2 week cruse, but the main menu was repeated in the second week and so was the entertainment with the exception of one act, other than that fine the staff were brill as usual

looking to the next one

Barrie,
Old December 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Admiral

We just disembarked the NCL Gem where not only was there two flavors of soft serve ice cream, but at least four different ice creams and two flavors of sorbet ALL DAY LONG AND FREE.. complete with six different toppings.. One day I had Kiwi sorbet and Lemon Sorbet.. another Coconut and Lime...
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Captain

I was recently found that Princess still does offer an "Ice Cream Package" it is Item #3000 - $17.50. Here is what it says.

"Enjoy ice cream? With the purchase of the Ice Cream Card, you can enjoy five Mega "Sundae Kreations" or ten Regular "Sundae Kreations," to be enjoyed throughout the cruise. Item #3000 - $17.50"

I found this in Princess Cruises Special Services Product Selection. Under culinary Delights. Hope it helps answer the original question.

Holiday Hugs Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose