Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Passenger

Default Jewelry Buying in The Mexican Riviera

I will be sailing on the Sapphire Princess November 14, 2009 to the ports of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. I would like to know which port seems to have the best prices and selections on sterling silver and gold jewelry. Also any store recommendations?
Thank you,
Shopper 123
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:37 PM
First Mate

I would be very leery about buying any jewelery of value in Mexico as it's almost a certainty to get ripped off. If it's costume jewelry and you like it, that's a different story but to spend large amount of money for an expensive piece you would be better off buying from a reputable dealer at home.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks RichC for the tip. I think I would be very uneasy buying 14kt, gold jewelry in Mexico because of the expense. As far as silver jewelry, I might consider if the piece is stamped sterling silver and or stamped 925, and not too expensive.
Shopper 123
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
First Mate

They are masters of deception in Mexico & would do anything to part you with you cash. I have never seen any sliver piece not stamped .925! I wonder why. There has got to be some jewelry that isn't .925 but I have yet to see it for sale. Does that tell you something My wife often buys inexpensive jewelry when in Cozumel but she would never buy anything of real value.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Admiral

There are some very reputable jewelry vendors in Mexico. For instance I know an amazingly honest dealer that specializes in Mexican opels. His shop is very close to the cruise ship terminal. There are many others as well.But you do need to do your homework.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm
There are some very reputable jewelry vendors in Mexico. For instance I know an amazingly honest dealer that specializes in Mexican opels. His shop is very close to the cruise ship terminal. There are many others as well.But you do need to do your homework.
Are you expert enough to know the grading of opals or just relying upon the ships recommendations for a honest dealer? I'm sure there must be some that are honest ones but I have neither the expertise to determine a good piece of jewelery nor do I care to search them out. Yes, we'll pay a few dollars more in the US, but I know that the guy who sells us a something of value will still be there in the future.
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Passenger

Hello Richc,
Points well taken!
Thanks,
Shopper 123
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Hello Chuck Palm,
You did not mention who the reputable jewelry vendors are by name, and which port they are in. Could you be more specific??
Thank you,
Shopper 123
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Admiral

We just got back. There were some very nice and recommended Silver stores in PV. I'd stay away from Cabo, their prices were nuts on the same items that were being sold elsewhere. There were a pair of earings in Mazatlan that were $40 (and that was their starting price), in Cabo they wanted $70 for them.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Passenger

Hello Trackypup,
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to be very careful when it comes to price comparisons if I'm looking to buy anything.
Shopper123