Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Beginner

Default Island Princess vs Diamond Princess

My wife and I are planning a June 2010 Alaskan "Voyage of the Glaciers" cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. We are first time cruisers, and are trying to decide between the Island Princess and the Diamond Princess. We are 45 and will not have our kids with us (but don't mind kids around either). I have read some reviews and don't believe there is probably that much difference, but would like to read any suggestions you have. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Personal tastes are most important there. We love the Island Princess even though she is destined to be sold. Shame really for soon all Princess ships will be those monsters including the Diamond. The Island we are told has more square footage of space per passenger than any other ship of their fleet. So as first time cruisers we would suggest the smaller of the ships for you will soon not have many more chances to experience this luxury. Plus she will be refurbished between now and your sailing date so we are told .
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Beginner

Thanks Ron N Jon, we appreciate your input. I did contact Princess, who advised both the Island and Diamond are scheduled to be refurbished in 2010, but in the fall, after our cruise.
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM
First Mate

Hi Daner,

We just sailed the Diamond's southbound Voyage of the Glaciers in Sept, and she's a beautiful ship. It was only my 3rd Princess cruise, and I have to say we really enjoyed sailing her. Our previous cruises were on the Crown and Carib Princess, all large ships and just awesome.

I'm sure you'll just love the Diamond!!! Have a great time
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
Personal tastes are most important there. We love the Island Princess even though she is destined to be sold.
Hi Ron & Jon! Where did you hear that she will be sold? When? Has Princess made an announcement, or is this just a rumor?
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Familiar Face

My heart will always belong to the Diamond. Sailed on her twice.......both times to Alaska. Once out of Seattle R/T and the other from Whittier to Vancouver. Of all the Princess ships I have been on - She is my favorite. So my vote goes to the Diamond. But that's just me.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Captain

Hi Daner,

I sailed the Island Princess for two weeks this spring to Alaska and just loved it. I will be sailing the Sapphire Princess, sister ship the Diamond in about two weeks. One of the things that I like about the Diamond is the fact that it has Skywalkers which is a very attractive area and a great place to just relax. My personal choice would give a very slight to the Island over the Sapphire but would sail either one in a heartbeat. The passenger capacity on the Island is about 1970 passengers and on the Diamond it is about 2670.

I also would wonder why Princess would take any ship out of service for refurbishment and then sell it. Can anyone tell me where this information was found?

Enjoy your cruise as you are in for a fantastic cruise on either ship.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for your comments! We just booked the Northbound cruise on Island Princess and are very excited. The descision was due as much to date (wanted northbound and the 14th worked better than the 5th), as anything else. Based on your responses, along with reviews from other sites, I don't think we could have gone wrong either way. I will continue to check back on this site to read any additional comments, but will be especially interested to hear from former Island cruisers.

ALASKA HERE WE COME!