Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Beginner

Default Interior Vs Oceanview on Diamond Princess

Hi.
Just planning a cruise in May/June 2010 from Vancouver to Alaska(Whittier) and we are on a tight budget. We are looking to book an interior room on the Diamond Princess. Wondering if anyone has experienced these rooms and if they are OK. If anyone is able to give any advice on this trip that would be great. .
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Default balcony

If it were me, I would postpone the Alaska cruise until I could afford a balcony.

Like I said....if it were me.

The upper decks and indoor seating were flooded with people. The private balcony let me really relax and enjoy the wonderful Alaskan scenery. I went on Diamond's sister ship, Sapphire, a couple of months ago and am so glad I waited the extra year to save the money.

Visiting Alaska was a big dream of mine, so, I guess it depends on how bad you really want to experience it? Either way, you will have a wonderful time.

Good luck!

Old October 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Passenger

I agree with Peg. Alaska is so amazing that I went back again and plan to do so again the in future. I was lucky enough to have a travel agent who told me I would want a balcony on the first cruise and wow! Was he ever right. It was so beautiful. I went in the months of July and in May and they both were wonderful trips (both with balconies). Good luck with your decisions.
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Admiral

We have done a 14 day Alaska on HAL . can't speak for Princess
(going in May 2010). We think the balcony could be to cool in Alaska.
Our plans are warm climate balcony m cool climate inside cabin.
In Alaska you actually spend alot of time in port .
Most travel is at night and there are more interesting things to in the
evening . Myself and DW like to be outside above the crow'snest
and watch the stars etc.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Passenger

Both my trips to Alaska were on HAL (one 7 day and one 11 day). The only times the balcony became too cool were in Glacier Bay and then I just bundled up as I certainly wanted to view everything I could!
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Captain

Default Re: Interior Vs Oceanview on Diamond Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianne Loft
Hi.
Just planning a cruise in May/June 2010 from Vancouver to Alaska(Whittier) and we are on a tight budget. We are looking to book an interior room on the Diamond Princess. Wondering if anyone has experienced these rooms and if they are OK. If anyone is able to give any advice on this trip that would be great. .
Hi Julianne,

As others have said, when cruising to Alaska having an outside or balcony is a big plus. One of the main reasons is that you will have daylight from 4:00 am to around midnight depending on the time of year that you are cruising. Even on most sea days you are still close to shore and can see the beautiful scenery as it passes by.

That said, an inside cabin does have the same basic amenities as an outside or balcony. The big difference, obviously is no view. On some Princess ships such as the Island Princess there are inside cabins that are right next to the forward door that leads out to a open observation that is just fantastic. On our last cruise to Alaska we had a minisuite with a balcony, but still spent most of our time in Glacier Bay and College Fjord on that forward open area, with the panoramic view.

I will be sailing on the sister ship of the Diamond, the Sapphire, in a few days and will look around and see if I can find such a place. Will let you know when I get back.

If you are on a budget (as I usuall am) one nice thing to do after you have been walking and shopping in Ketchikan is to take the city bus. One of the bus routes does a complete loop of the city and takes about an hour. The cost is somewhere around $1.50. There is also a good public transportation in Juneau to Douglass Island. In Skagway I do recommend renting a car from Avis and driving to Emerald Lake. It is one of the most scenic drives in the world.

Even though I prefer a balcony, given a choice of going or not going, I would go in any cabin that I could, to enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

Hope some of this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Hi guys thanks heaps for your replies, still waiting on someone who has stayed in the interior room. Debra your suggestions were great about the ports, thanks, can't wait to here from you when you get back from your next trip. Enjoy! Cheers. Julianne
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Familiar Face

Since it's a long time until sailing why not take a guarantee at a price you can afford and hope for an upgrade?
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

An inside room is an inside room, basically the same on any ship...Some people say they love the darkness, and sleep like a baby..others like the light, and, being able to see the comings and going in every port.

Granted, a window or a balcony would be nice, but, since you are on a budget, I have to agree with Debra, and go when the going is good.Public spaces above, are there when you want, to just sit and and watch in awe..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
First Mate

I was in an inside cabin on the Diamond for my Sept cruise from Whittier and I loved it. I'm glad I didnt spend the extra money for a balcony only because I was always cold. Most of my warm weather cruises I'm in a balcony, but I enjoyed Alaska just fine from the inside room.

Being on deck is the best place to hear the naturalist that is narrating during the days cruising Glacier Bay, plus I saw more wild life with the help of others on deck pointing out "there's whale" or some other creature.

I'm sure the balconies are fabulous, but for me it was not worth the extra $$$. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!!!!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Beginner

Thanks sistergoldenhair that's just what I needed to hear. What is Diamond Princess like to travel on? You look like you have experienced quite a few cruises.
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM
First Mate

I loved the Diamond. She's so big and glamorous!!! My cabin was on the Lido Deck, in the back of the ship, so it was very convenient to the buffet area and Lido bar

There is a bar in the lobby (Crooners) that I really enjoyed before dinner, lots of people congregating there. The Wheelhouse bar was also very relaxing. I did not try any of the specialty restaurants, but the International Dining room was nice.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the beauty of Alaska from the decks of this beautiful ship!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013