CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Overboard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/369613-overboard.html)

poppadock November 23rd, 2009 10:44 PM

Overboard

People falling overboard ?. What do u thing.:evil:

green_rd November 24th, 2009 07:58 AM

I'm opposed to it.
What are you asking?

Very rarely does anyone actually fall overboard. Maybe the case of the guy who was leaning way out of Carnival Legend to see the pilot boot is a case of falling overboard.

Trip November 24th, 2009 07:47 PM

I think nobody just falls....

DonD November 24th, 2009 09:17 PM

Just falls overboard? Don't think so.

poppadock November 24th, 2009 10:40 PM

Many people have been reported missing over the years aboard ships for one reason or another, Have thay jumped or fell or gotten off the ship some where or what ? the question is what do u think.:evil:

LisaK November 25th, 2009 09:58 AM

My opinion on this is that most of the stories you hear about unfortunately are jumpers or people who just want to dissaper from society and they leave the ship and don't return only to live the island life

blueliner November 25th, 2009 10:03 AM

I think that a majority of missing people overboard have been caused by 1 of 2 reasons; "Suicide by Cruise Ship" and extreme alcohol intoxication causing an extreme case of something I like to call "the stupids!". Considering over 13 million people cruise every year and the extremely small handfull of people that do go missing, the chances are VERY good that if you don't have a desire to harm yourself and you limit your alcoholic intake to a reasonable level, you should be ok.

Paul Motter November 26th, 2009 12:09 PM

Poppadock...

It looks like you are a first-time cruiser (which I have to say is unusual because your name seems very familiar but it must be a coincidence).

In any case - people do not fall off of ships - that is a complete fallacy brought on by trial lawyers who want Congress to make it easier to sue cruise lines whenever someone goes "missing" on a cruise ship.

The sad truth is that suicide by cruise ship happens - just as it happens with the Golden gate and Grand Canyon. I can guarantee you no one has ever accidentally fallen off of a cruise ship unless they were doing something they shouldn't be doing, like going out beyond the safety railings.

When people commit suicide by cruise ship they generally do not leave notes, which makes it possible for lawyers or industry bashers to say it was a crime or accident and then they can sue the cruise line for "contributive negligence." However, so far few lawyers have been successful in proving this in court. Some cases have been settled, however.

There are a few cases that remain mysteries, but compared to the number of people who cruise each year cruising is still an extremely safe vacation option.

Modern cruise ships all have surveillance video cameras that show in most cases overboards did not involve a struggle or another person. In fact - there are no proven cases of people falling or being thrown off of ships except rare cases where the person put themselves beyond the safety barriers.

poppadock November 26th, 2009 12:55 PM

Oasis-rc

Paul just a subject of conversation no more on less,and yes I do cruise with Princess.:roll:

Phil&Liz November 26th, 2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner (Post 1259786)
I think that a majority of missing people overboard have been caused by 1 of 2 reasons; "Suicide by Cruise Ship" and extreme alcohol intoxication causing an extreme case of something I like to call "the stupids!". Considering over 13 million people cruise every year and the extremely small handfull of people that do go missing, the chances are VERY good that if you don't have a desire to harm yourself and you limit your alcoholic intake to a reasonable level, you should be ok.

Agree 100%!

Phil & Liz

DeepSpace December 1st, 2009 01:59 AM

I agree with Paul. I live a few miles from the Golden Gate Bridge, and because it's such a well know icon, some people use it to commit suicide, but you can't blame the bridge.