CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Amazon River Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/370011-amazon-river-cruise.html)

mmcruising December 13th, 2009 10:38 PM

Amazon River Cruise

Has anyone been on this cruise? Do you feel it was worth the expense and procedure of obtaining a Visa from Brazil ?

Parrot Mom December 14th, 2009 05:52 AM

We took this cruise in April from Manaus to Ft. Lauderdale.. and just loved it. As for the Yellow Fever shots check with your insurance company and see if they will pay for "preventative shots".. ours did..As it turns out we also had a booster which will come in handy if we do Egypt next year.. As for the Brazilian Visa..it is a pain in the butt to put it mildly trying to get it, but worth it...The Amazon was on my "bucket list"... Just know that a few of the ports are hot and humid.. especially Devils Island..

mmcruising December 14th, 2009 02:24 PM

Thanks for your response, we have the yellow fever shots from another cruise (one hassle done!) however we were totally floored by the Brazil Visa cost and process. We read some of the travel warnings out about Brazil and this only added to our worry. We are supposed to go at the end of February on the Royal . We just read where the Royal is being transferred to P&O in April of 10 , so this may be our last chance to cruise on her. We've enjoyed the ship so much in the past.

Parrot Mom December 14th, 2009 02:47 PM

It seems that each Brazilian Embassy in the US has their own set of rules and costs.. Although we live 40 minutes or less away from ours we were told to mail it in according to their directions...we did and received it and our passports back in good time.. We cruised the Pacific Princess.. a lovely little ship..As for the crime in Brazil/Manaus...we took a private taxi to a shop I had always wanted to go to.. Also we took the ships tour down the meeting of the waters. Also, we used the Princess charter from Miami to Manaus which leaves at some awful hour in the a.m. Never got too far in Santareem...just the flea market at the end of the dock...lol.. very, very worthwhile..In Dominica we took the aeral tram ride through the tropical forest and it was one of the highlights if not the highlight... walking on the jungle floor and over the tree tops.

mmcruising December 14th, 2009 10:28 PM

On the Amazon River part were most of the "scenes" jungle or was it shanties? Have you been thru the Panama canal? We've been twice and are wondering if the beauty (Gatun lake) of the amazon is similar? Have you been on other Pacific Princess cruises, maybe we've cruised with you! We were on the Pacific 2007 Hawaii/Tahiti round trip. Thanks for the info! (your getting as far as the flea market - thats what I like to do, but not my husbad !:)