Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom
Default Golden Princess or Saphire to Alaska??

We're thinking about taking a cruise the first part of August for our 25th! Not even sure what line at this point but considering either the Golden Princess or Saphire princess out of Seattle--any preferences?? the itineraries are slightly different as one does Tracy Arm and the other Glacier Bay--not familiar enough with any of these to really know which might be better--never been to Alaska. Seattle attracts us because we can either drive or fly from Utah albiet it would be a long drive. I do feel the airfare would be less expensive to go to seattle vs Juneau or?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think the one with Glacier Bay may be a better glacier viewing. Did see Tracy Arm and you don't get that close to the glacier usually.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Comparing ship to ship, I much prefer the Sapphire Princess. Same class of ship, but the changes made to the layout of the Sapphire make it more user friendly... in my view.

Alaska is really a "destination itin", and not just a cruise, so the final decision is probably best based on the itinerary you prefer.
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

If you are going to drive fron Utah , why not consider a cruise from Vancouver BC.
Princess doesn't 7 day round trip to/from Vancouver. Other cruise lines do 7 day rtn
to Vancouver.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
First Mate

I loved the Sapphire, and I wouldn't skip Glacier Bay. Vancouver was a great port.

Old January 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Yeoman

What time do you get off the ship and what's a good time to book returning flight? I think we've decided to go ahead and fly and still hoping for Golden Princess. The cruise that leaves on the 7th of Aug DOES to Glacier bay--we haven't booked yet but are getting closer to making that decision. Husband really wants to go--we're just not sure if we can afford it right now--but we may compromise and just get an inside room.
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Try for a flight in the afternoon.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Beginner

Default holdom

Sapphire would be my choice.I did Australia/NZ cruise 4 years ago.I abslutely loved the shipUp in the disco bar you got the best views of scenery and also Anytime dining
bev
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Yeoman

Update--I thought i'd posted it--We are BOOKED on Golden for the Aug 7th sailing! very excited about it. we're still debating driving or flying to port but that will depend on flight prices and gas prices.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Yeoman

kinda sad in a way--May have to cancel our cruise in Alaska --we haven't quite decided yet if we can swing it and the other thing we decided to do. The good news is ultimately it may mean more vacations for us and family. (OT) has anyone heard positive or negative on Global Travel Network?? we went to a presentation last night and have tenatively signed up for that--I say tentatively because we're still in our 3 day cancel period and we could still cancel it. However it sounds really good. The bad thing is the initial membership fee (or what ever it is) costs a fortune but after that--supposedly we can book condos etc. at very inexpensive prices (actually free but you pay a processing fee) for whole week.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, what a delema Kass, sure hope you don't have to cancel your Alaska cruise...Keep us posted.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by karessamom View Post
We're thinking about taking a cruise the first part of August for our 25th! Not even sure what line at this point but considering either the Golden Princess or Saphire princess out of Seattle--any preferences?? the itineraries are slightly different as one does Tracy Arm and the other Glacier Bay--not familiar enough with any of these to really know which might be better--never been to Alaska. Seattle attracts us because we can either drive or fly from Utah albiet it would be a long drive. I do feel the airfare would be less expensive to go to seattle vs Juneau or?? Thanks
Hi Karessamom,

You are right that it is usually cheaper to fly to Seattle than it is to fly to Vancouver. Both cities are great and both have outstanding attractions. In my opinion the better choice would be to sail from Vancouver and be sure and take a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Sailing out of Seattle does cut down on some of your time in Alaska. We generally take a one way cruise out of Vancouver but that does add to the cost of flying to or from Anchorage.

At the end of the day my choice would be to take whichever ship that goes into Glacier Bay National Park.
Hope this helps.

I don't know anything about the travel club you mentioned but I would recommend doing a lot of searching on the Internet before finalizing your membership.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Familiar Face

Default Golden or Saphire

If this helps at all, I've cruised on both ships. In my opinion you wont go wrong either way. Both ships are beautiful and the cruise itself was spectacular. Have a great trip.