Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Beginner

Default amazing Christmas present

Hi everyone
My mum and dad surprised me over christmas by giving me a present of a cruise holiday. It's actually a Xmas come birthday present as I am 21 in November this year.

I am meeting up with my American cousin in Miami to cruise on the Emerald Princess on 8th May to cruise around the Caribbean for 16 nights. Neither of us have cruised before and I have a number of questions that some of you may be able to answer.

Will we be able to make friends on board as I don't really know my cousin that well and it would be nice to talk to others over the 16 days? Will there be others our age (I am 20 and my cousin is 21)?.

How fussy are cruises? what should I wear in the evenings at the dinners? Apparently I can only pack 23kgs so I want to make sure I take the right things.

Answers to my questions would be great and I would love yo hear from anyone that is going on the same cruise and perhaps correspond before we sail

Thanks
Jody
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Hi Jody,

That is a wonderful Christmas present. Please bring some nice items for dinner. It can actually be fun to dress for dinners. You won't need to do it every night and the ship is not black tie.

The number of people you meet is somewhat a function of how outgoing you are. Unfortunately, the length your cruise may reduce the number of passengers your age. The date is right as most US colleges are concluding so you might see some people celebrating college graduations.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, what a wonderful thoughtful gift from your parents.

Be sure to go to the shows and visit the public areas, I'm sure you'll meet others your age. Spend some time at the pool, should be beautiful weather.

As for dressing, try to pack clothes that you can mix and match. Keep in mind as well, Princess does have self service laundry rooms, so you can pack a little less and plan on doing a load or two during the 16 days.

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Jody, what an amazing present from your parents! pack clothing that you can mix and match, for daytime all you will need is shorts, t-shirts, your bathing suit and some sort of a cover-up, for casual evenings on board, capris with a nice top, a skirt with a nice top, sundress/sheath dress, nice pair of trousers/blouse, flat sandals or kitten heels, for formal nights you can go with a nice cocktail dress, a pair of dressy/flowing pants with a silky, sparkly top, dress heels or dress sandals. Make sure that you pack a good pair of walking sneakers and some sort of water sandal/shoe for pool time and shore/beach excursions
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Familiar Face

The best advice is to try not to overpack. It can be difficult picking and choosing what you'll leave behind, but you'll want to leave room for the lovely gifts you're going to bring back to those wonderful parents of yours! Pack enough clothing for half the cruise, and use the laundry facilities on board.

Don't worry, you will meet plenty of other people your age on board, and it will be a good time to get to know your Miami cousin better. You'll find plenty of entertainment on board in the clubs, lounges and public areas. Just relax and have a blast!

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Beginner

Awesome for you and your cousin. I have met some wonderful people on cruises. I suggest that you bring a little address book with you to have new friends give you their address so you can keep in touch. For myself I learned on a Richard Simmons CTL to bring address labels with my contact information. That way you can give to new friends to keep in touch with you. Or a personal card with your contact info. Have a wonderful time.
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Passenger

It would be nice to sit at a large dining table....also, there are clubs and bars to go to hopefully you will meet others your age....All in All have a great time!