Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Princess to allow bon voyage visitors on board prior to embarkation

Back to the old days of visitors on the ship prior to embarkation... but now it will cost

Princess Cruises to allow non-cruisers aboard ships on departure day - Cruise Log - USATODAY.com
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

From a marketing point of view its a great idea. They can get people on the ship so a non-princess cruiser might be able to get a "small taste" of Princess (food and ship) and Princess can make some extra money off it. Putting the $39 fee towards a future booking is another good way to try and get them as a customer. Someone who never cruised might really get the cruise bug from this program.

Some might argue that it contradicts the whole security issue though but if it is booked in advanced, I suppose there is no difference than just booking the cruise. It isn't like anyone can just walk up to the pier, pay $39 in cash and walk on.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Captain

I think it is a great idea and kudos to Princess for being forward thinking and once again way ahead of the other mass market/premium cruise lines. It is win/win/win situation for passengers, their friends and Princess.

It will be no more of a security risk that the risk involved in regular paying passengers boarding any cruise ship.

For me this just proves why Princess is at this time the best run cruise line afloat.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Great idea, especially if someone does book while onboard. I think even if they didn't charge, some may book just by getting on board and seeing the ship.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Admiral

While I think it's a great idea, it also tells us what BS the "security excuse" was when they didn't want to allow it.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Angry Security

SO for $39.00 each... Princess is by passing security... anything for extra $$..and allowing "guests" on.. Many cruisers like myself fly into ports.. so now we will have extra stress trying to board the ship with all the "bon voyagers"...jezz. but then again.. this is a great example of Princess nickle and diming everybody.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
SO for $39.00 each... Princess is by passing security... anything for extra $$..and allowing "guests" on.. Many cruisers like myself fly into ports.. so now we will have extra stress trying to board the ship with all the "bon voyagers"...jezz. but then again.. this is a great example of Princess nickle and diming everybody.
I don't see it as nickle and diming at all. You get lunch, a bottle of wine, and a photo so $39 isn't bad. If you go out to lunch with friends before the cruise to a restaurant, they would charge all of you for your meals so there really is no difference. Also, the $39 can be put towards a FCC.

They are only limiting it to 50 guests. Compared to up to 3100 boarding, an extra 50 is nothing and I'm sure they'll handle it fine.

As for security you still have to book it through an agent or with Princess up to 6 days prior to departure and fill out all required security forms. I doubt they will allow you take on any packages except a camera bag and/or purse since you will only be there a few hours. You will still have to walk through a metal detector and have any bags screened. Its the same process for all other passengers, so I don't see a big risk at all.

Last edited by hockeynut; February 11th, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

For those that want to do it I believe it's a nice option to have. It also is a revenue producer, a nice public relations tool and great advertising. Since I fly in from "flyover land" I would probably never use it. Those who have friends or family who drive them to the ship it would be a nice "thank you" for the trip.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Sounds like a great marketing idea to me! How many of us have friends who say they'll never cruise; they'll feel too confined because they have no idea how spacious cruise ships really are? This way, for $39, they can get a small taste of what the inside of a ship is like, & a nice lunch, & if they wind up booking a cruise, it costs them nothing. To me, it's a win/win situation!

Great job, Princess!! I hope other lines pick up on this & follow suit.

PS: hockeynut, I didn't notice that they are limiting this to 50 people. Did I miss that?
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea View Post
Sounds like a great marketing idea to me! How many of us have friends who say they'll never cruise; they'll feel too confined because they have no idea how spacious cruise ships really are? This way, for $39, they can get a small taste of what the inside of a ship is like, & a nice lunch, & if they wind up booking a cruise, it costs them nothing. To me, it's a win/win situation!

Great job, Princess!! I hope other lines pick up on this & follow suit.

PS: hockeynut, I didn't notice that they are limiting this to 50 people. Did I miss that?
It was on the Princess web site under the news page.
News Article : Princess Cruises

Quote:
The number of guests who will be able to participate in the Bon Voyage Experience on any given embarkation day will be approximately 50.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Captain

HockeyNut,

You are right this is a great innovation offered by Princess. The cost is actually free for those who either already sail Princess or may sail Princess in the future and they also wind up with a free 1/2 day on a ship and a great lunch. The limit of 50 people, out of more than two thousand who will be boarding as guests, should really slow up the boarding process.
It is amazing how anybody can find fault with such an innovative program, but then again.....

I can remember the grousing that went on when Princess introduced the optional any time dining several years ago by those whose favorite cruise line only offered traditional dining times. Now almost all cruise lines have followed the lead of Princess. I have also heard the same kind of whining about the presence of a self service Laundromat on Princess. Like all passengers are forced to do their own laundry!!!!

At the end of the day this move by Princess is nothing but a positive move and this is one more example of why Princess is always the first choice of so many.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old February 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Well, I don't know if I'd declard it "innovative". They are just going back in time to when it was allowed.

They've always allowed travel agents etc to visit ships. Sure we've all seen tour groups on board in various ports of call.

And Princess introduced Any Time Dining, after NCL was running Freestyle, so they're weren't the leader. In fact I think for some time NCL has been the most innovative in the industry, with others then following what works.

All that said, I think it's a great idea. It'll allow people to visit friends, and see ships they may not otherwise get to visit.

I still don't care for the fact all the cruise lines used the "security excuse" for all this time as to why it wasn't allowed. Just like the excuse they use to deny bridge visits, yet how many pics of bridge tours are on the internet
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Unfortunately, we have the posters who will exaggerate the positives of their favored cruise line & denigrate anything that their least favorite cruise line does. As usual, the truth lies somewhere in between.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Captain

Kuki,

While you are correct in saying we used to be able to have guest onboard before a cruise, a long time ago, but what I meant was this is the first move that I have seen by any cruise line to return to those "good old days".

You are right that Princess was not the first to offer the choice of anytime dining but they were years ahead of some of their competitors, like Celebrity for example.

I do think that all most all people think this is a positive move and hopefully, someday other cruise lines will follow suit.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old February 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As a person who remembers the days when guests were always allowed on ships, and they had champagne and streamers at sailaway I think it is great.

When I worked on Royal Viking I used to have guests come and meet me on the ship whenever it docked in Los Angeles. They loved seeing the ship.

For people who have never seen a ship it is always a surprise for them - they expect something like the navy but they see a luxury hotel.

I think it is a great idea and although I would like everything in life to be free, I am sure they barely break even on it considering the extra security and staff they need to manage this.

In the old days you didnt need security clearances for everyone boarding a vessel. These days they probably need to get them cleared, double check their ID, etc...

Plus if they made it free then it would be a problem for other cruisers trying to board (at least until the novelty wore off - I dont recall it being a problem in the old days when it was a common thing).