CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/371847-what-would-you-do.html)

Janice Marie February 19th, 2010 06:09 PM

What would you do?

Book a specific cabin in a category, for example a BA category on Caribe Deck on the Sapphire or book a BA guarantee category? We've never booked a guaranteed before and thought it might give us a chance at getting an upgrade.

Fern February 19th, 2010 08:16 PM

Hi Janice, I wouldn't expect or count on an upgrade with a guarantee cabin.

If it doesn't matter where you are on the ship, book a guarantee for the lower price. If you don't want to be in certain areas (like under a dining room or the galley), you'll be better off booking a specific cabin.

You still might get an upgrade offer, but you'll have the choice of accepting or declining.

The upgrade fairy is very fickle :shock:! I'd never depend on her to show up when I need her!

Donna February 20th, 2010 05:36 AM

Just remember, you will get a cabin in that catagory at least. There is always a chance of an upgrade, but don't count on it. Have booked this way many times and no upgrade, but you never know.

Tom8595 February 21st, 2010 02:38 AM

;)We always select a specific cabin. We Also say we are willing to take an upgrade. We have had the upgrades a few times.
But, when that did not happen we had the location we preferred. Just select a cabin that you will enjoy. You can always turn down an upgrade if you do not like the location.

Mike M February 21st, 2010 02:44 AM

How much do you want a cabin in a specific location? Do you need to be close to an elevator?

If there isn't a major need to be in a specific location I would book the guarantee. You will not receive a cabin that is in a category lower than that and you do have a "chance" of an upgrade but don't think it's a sure thing.

I've had a couple of upgrades when doing this but I have never ended up with a cabin I did not like.

Take care,
Mike

debbir34 February 22nd, 2010 05:38 PM

Just as everyone else has stated, if you have a specific area you want in then don't book the guarentee but if you are flexible book it. We have had quite a bit of luck with getting the upgrade. Good luck

Janice Marie February 22nd, 2010 07:08 PM

Thanks, everyone. We've decided to book the 14 day cruise - LA/Hawaii. We love hanging out on a balcony with a glass of wine and a good book and just relaxing. The Caribe deck balconies seem a little larger than a mini-suite, so now it's decisions time....larger balcony vs. more room in a stateroom. ;)

sunluva7 February 22nd, 2010 07:31 PM

We always book early and a specific cabin in the exact location we want, because we don't like surprises.;) Also, if it's a cabin location we really like, or if we have two cabins together with the kids, we'll mark it as a "no upgrade".