Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
First Mate

Question Cell Phones & Laptops.. errr

I have a couple of questions about cell phones. As much as I would like to throw them in the ocean during the cruise I'm travling with 2 teenagers and it may require a blow torch to remove them. But I do see where they could come in handy when we are doing different things.

What do they charge for using the cell phones on the ship?
What is the charge for texting?
Is it cheaper to communicate with somebody else on the ship?

We are going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel and Princess Cay.
Does anybody know what the charges are and the availability of signals in these ports?

While on the subject of tech questions. What about internet access for laptops?

Thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Hi beachbum13, I'm going to try to answer your questions, but I'm not an expert in phone, text, PC, use !

This is all from what I've read here and on other cruise sites. Phone calls on board (to anywhere) are $2.95 a minute. Texting would be at least that and maybe more!

The ship's Internet is pretty expensive, too. You'll find the price in your first day's news letter.

When you get off the ship in a port you can look for phone availibility and Internet access.

Please don't let your teenager's use any of these services without checking them out yourself!

I've read horror stories about people owing thousands of dollars from their kid's usage !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default coolbreeze

In the case of an emergency a cell phone is # 1 but other wise do not use them, but if U do when the bill comes in just put both hands up & surrender.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Once our ship sails we keep our cell phones in the safe in our stateroom. They remain there until we arrive back to our port of origin....LA, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Seattle, etc. Using your cell during the cruise really racks up the $$$$$$$'s.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would not advise you using cell phones to communicate within the ship. Fern's quote of $2.95/minute is about right and texts, while less, will add up quickly. I would personally not allow the kids to use the phones.

If you want to stay in contact on the ship I suggest a couple of FRS/GSRM walkie talkies. Motorola Talkabouts are popular.

If you decide to use the phones you will have to contact your carrier and enable International Roaming.

FYI: The cost of using the phone in port is almost always less expensive than using the ship's system while at sea. I.E. Verizon International Roaming charge for Mexico is .99/minute.

Internet charges are usually around .55/minute and around .35/minute if you buy a larger package of minutes. You can check your email and do some basic web surfing.

Take care and have a great time.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Your best bet is to check with your carrier when it comes to using your cell on ship and on land.

It also depends on the type of plan you have. Give them a call, all your questions should be answered.

If you want to use the ship's service, you will most likely pay quite a bit for very slow satellite service. Check with the cruise line.

Old February 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Admiral

If your teens can't live without their cellphones , then shouldn't be there.
If they have to be there , leave the cellphones at home.
I've heard the costs can run up to $7 USD per minute on the ship and texting doesn't work because the satellite system is to slow to handle text.

Wifi can be hit and miss cruise ships . If you don't have wireless , I'm not sure if you can connect to the ships network.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to tessa681
Default cell phone charges

T Mobile can run around 4.95 per minute. try getting walkie talkies, you can even rent them from the ship!