CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Disgusted with Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/372217-disgusted-princess-cruises.html)

oldmum45 March 2nd, 2010 07:40 AM

Disgusted with Princess Cruises

Hi All

I will admit that I am fairly new to cruising, taking our first one in Dec2008, but having enjoyed it so much, I completed 7 over the next 12-13 months!!

Our company of choice was Princess till their blatant discrimination of not only myself but all my fellow countrymen that want to travel with them (and a few other companies).

I am currently looking at 5 cruises over the next 10 months, and like all dedicated cruisers I watch the sites for costings.

Princess - in their wisdom have decided to lock Australians out of the American sites, meaning that the cruises I am looking over are going to cost me nearly 50% more! When I am looking at around $9-10k per person, adding 50% is prohibitive!

I might add that I have never booked off shore, but this lock out means the aussie agents dont have to price match. The brochure price listed on US sites are substancially cheaper that the official Princess site in Australia, and then they are heavily discounted as well.

I can understand them saying (to ALL travellers) that if they live in a country, and they want to travel from a home port, that they have to book within their home country. But to say I cant book INTERNATIONAL embarkation cruises with whom I wish to, is discriminating to my self! What if I was travelling the USA and decided once there to do a cruise? Are they stating that I have to contact a home agent to make my bookings?

They seem to want to protect the Australian travel agents more than the travelling public that financially supports them. Not only this, but all correspondence has been ignored by the company for the past 8 weeks.

It will not matter how good there product is - with an attitude like this, all the advertising and agent give aways wont sustain there business!

So now I am looking at non-discriminating cruise lines, unless this discrimination stops!!

sorry for my rant, but I am telling all and sundry as Princess dont seem to care

regards

jules

Donna March 2nd, 2010 08:28 AM

So sorry to hear about your problem booking with Princess. I was wondering if you could contact a US travel agent and see what they can do or find out for you?

green_rd March 2nd, 2010 08:41 AM

Makes me wonder if PCL and the other companies you mention are responding to pressure from in-country travel agents.

Paul Motter March 2nd, 2010 10:30 AM

I heard this was going to be happening. I am not sure how they can stop you from seeing all Princess prices however, just because you can't go to their site.

I also believe that US agents will accept bookings for you, although I could be wrong. They will eventually see your passport and might restrict them from doing so.

So sorry - I guess it is a lot like everything else, you have to pay local prices for petrol and milk, too.

DougR. March 2nd, 2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmum45 (Post 1277630)
Hi All

I will admit that I am fairly new to cruising, taking our first one in Dec2008, but having enjoyed it so much, I completed 7 over the next 12-13 months!!

Our company of choice was Princess till their blatant discrimination of not only myself but all my fellow countrymen that want to travel with them (and a few other companies).

I am currently looking at 5 cruises over the next 10 months, and like all dedicated cruisers I watch the sites for costings.

Princess - in their wisdom have decided to lock Australians out of the American sites, meaning that the cruises I am looking over are going to cost me nearly 50% more! When I am looking at around $9-10k per person, adding 50% is prohibitive!

I might add that I have never booked off shore, but this lock out means the aussie agents dont have to price match. The brochure price listed on US sites are substancially cheaper that the official Princess site in Australia, and then they are heavily discounted as well.

I can understand them saying (to ALL travellers) that if they live in a country, and they want to travel from a home port, that they have to book within their home country. But to say I cant book INTERNATIONAL embarkation cruises with whom I wish to, is discriminating to my self! What if I was travelling the USA and decided once there to do a cruise? Are they stating that I have to contact a home agent to make my bookings?

They seem to want to protect the Australian travel agents more than the travelling public that financially supports them. Not only this, but all correspondence has been ignored by the company for the past 8 weeks.

It will not matter how good there product is - with an attitude like this, all the advertising and agent give aways wont sustain there business!

So now I am looking at non-discriminating cruise lines, unless this discrimination stops!!

sorry for my rant, but I am telling all and sundry as Princess dont seem to care

regards

jules

Jules I have heard this complaint about just about every cruiseline. It appears that our fellow cruisemates from Oz and UK are out of luck regrardless of cruiseline unless they can manage to book with a US agent. Your fury against Princess is misdirected, as this seems to be an almost univeral practice and possibly related to the travel industry in your country.

Paul Motter March 2nd, 2010 11:53 AM

Just out of curiousity - how did you work this before? Were the agents allowed to lower their prices to match what was available in the US?

On average, how much would you save?

Also - what happens if you do try to book with a US agent? I assume you have a major credit card?

What do you think your options are?

Robbie H March 2nd, 2010 02:47 PM

As a T/A in the USA I book mostly Royal Caribbean and one of the first things I learned was that I could NOT book my friends in the U.K.
I am certainly not saying it is fair but there are protections in many industries, Robbie

beachbum13 March 2nd, 2010 05:23 PM

This makes no sense to me!!! Then again as an American a lot of things don't make sense to me??? I hope you find away around this stupid policy!

Trip March 2nd, 2010 08:56 PM

A couple of years ago, while looking for a cruise, I happened across a Princess cruise, that left from Jamacia..When I inquired about pricing, I was told Americans could not book this cruise:(

CanadianCruiseBooker March 2nd, 2010 09:07 PM

The only way you will be able to book in USD would be to find someone with a US address that you can use as your home residence. If you can't prove upon embarkation that you have an address in North America (driver's licence, piece of mail etc) , they can charge you the difference in price that you should have paid.

This applies to all cruiselines not just Princess.

Nurse Debra March 2nd, 2010 09:51 PM

While I certainly agree with the OP that this is not right, please let me point out that these higher prices have been charged for a long on all cruise lines and not just Princess. I have questioned this practice for years and I know that some have found ways around these higher prices, but I don't know the details of how they do it. Others have pointed out some very good suggestions for trying to get around this practice.

Debra

oldmum45 March 3rd, 2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1277661)
I heard this was going to be happening. I am not sure how they can stop you from seeing all Princess prices however, just because you can't go to their site.

I also believe that US agents will accept bookings for you, although I could be wrong. They will eventually see your passport and might restrict them from doing so.

So sorry - I guess it is a lot like everything else, you have to pay local prices for petrol and milk, too.

Hi Paul

I dont mind paying local prices for LOCAL product.. but I am not travelling within Australia..I want to travel South America..

How would hotels survive IF an Australian had to pre book ALL the accomodation when travelling overseas!!

all my travel this year will commence OUT OF AUSTRALIA..yet they wont let me book even in the country of embarkation!

also...Vaccations to go have advised that if I cant prove US ownership of property, that Princess will charge the difference on boarding!!

How can a company say a tour has a list price hundreds of $$ cheaper in the Us than Australians...do they think aussies are so stupid they will be happy that they are over charging us??

I dont think so

regards

Julie

oldmum45 March 3rd, 2010 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougR. (Post 1277663)
Jules I have heard this complaint about just about every cruiseline. It appears that our fellow cruisemates from Oz and UK are out of luck regrardless of cruiseline unless they can manage to book with a US agent. Your fury against Princess is misdirected, as this seems to be an almost univeral practice and possibly related to the travel industry in your country.

Hi there

no..there are some that wont support the agents over the travel agents..and that is where my travel $$ will go in the future..

oldmum45 March 3rd, 2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie H (Post 1277729)
As a T/A in the USA I book mostly Royal Caribbean and one of the first things I learned was that I could NOT book my friends in the U.K.
I am certainly not saying it is fair but there are protections in many industries, Robbie

Hi there

As I have stated..I have NEVER booked out of Australia..so this isnt about protecting aussie agents..etc...

what I have done till now..is found the cruise I wanted..watched the international sites...taken the $$ to an Aussie agent..and PRINCESS have matched the fare..

this is solely about Princess cashing in with some clients..and not others.depending on the competition available in that country...
so in effect..the smaller countries are subsidising the larger ones..

talk about bullying tactics!!

regards

Jules

oldmum45 March 3rd, 2010 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nurse Debra (Post 1277838)
While I certainly agree with the OP that this is not right, please let me point out that these higher prices have been charged for a long on all cruise lines and not just Princess. I have questioned this practice for years and I know that some have found ways around these higher prices, but I don't know the details of how they do it. Others have pointed out some very good suggestions for trying to get around this practice.

Debra

Hi Debra

this was not the case at the last bookings I made last year....and Vaccations to go has advised that not all lines are like this...

so I will be investigating what ones are not..and booking them in the future

as long as everyone accepts bad practices...they will remain...

the other thing that upsets me..is that Princess have ignored all my correspondence...such is the care and attention to furture cruisers!

regards

jules

paa5481 March 3rd, 2010 08:41 AM

Princess protects artifical prices in other countries. Thats why they have princess UK and Princess Australia. They screw the brits and Aussies, I have been on Princess cruises in the carib where there were alot of brits on board who had to book thru Princess UK, They paid way more. Princess trys to camoflage it by including direct charters to US but the difference was still a sore thumb. I did talk to one couple from Holland that found a US T/A that provided them with an address in the US that the TA was able to use to book them for the carib under the princess United States rates. I have run into this very same thing with costa and msc trying to get rates for the med cruises. They will only give you rates by where you live. This is way different than "paying the local price for milk and petrol". The local price would be the same for everyone buying the milk. There would not be different prices based on where people lived. I paid the same price for wine in rome that the romans paid. This is international price fixing.

green_rd March 3rd, 2010 08:42 AM

Old Mum - perhaps you can use one of the consolidator sites such as kayak to learn what Princess is charging US customers or a site from a US TA such as cruseshopping.com

oldmum45 March 3rd, 2010 07:20 PM

Hi Bob

I know the costings....and they are thousands over what i have to pay in Australia...I think it is around $9000.00 per person extra on the cruises I want to gake..and that is by 4 passengers...that is alot of $$

regards

jules

Kamloops Cruiser March 3rd, 2010 09:40 PM

If you go some American sites they have a note that covers this problem.
I'm from Canada , I have the same problem with airlines. Flights to/from Asia are cheaper
if bought thru their Asian sites. I still get charged to Canadian price for the ticket.
This I found also happens to us if try to book cheap flights on some American carriers.

oldmum45 March 4th, 2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydozer (Post 1278070)
If you go some American sites they have a note that covers this problem.
I'm from Canada , I have the same problem with airlines. Flights to/from Asia are cheaper
if bought thru their Asian sites. I still get charged to Canadian price for the ticket.
This I found also happens to us if try to book cheap flights on some American carriers.

Hi there

of course You are charged in CAD$ BUT the rate is converted from the asian amt quoted....

the usa sites have the fares quoted in several currencies including AUD and these are hundreds, some times thousands of $$ cheaper than the quoted fares in Australia

IF You buy a ticket in Asia, say on tiger air..it is in Singapore $$ which is then converted into your currency OR You have to go to the bank and buy the currency in a mail order and send it. I have done this in Yaun when i travelled in China

this is different...this is ONE company locking out countries because they do not have the population to support strong competition...AND trying to regulate even off your home soil..

I support them saying..IF the cruise leaves from Australia..i cant shop overseas for the best price..BUT...these cruises start in europe and south America..and i am arranging my own touring to get there..

in this day and age they should have equality and the travel agents are the ones that should be really upset...it is not logical to alienate the travelling population this way. No one wins here...so let the agents all have the same playing field...and stop discrimination against certain counties!

regards

jules

carmensmom March 4th, 2010 02:43 PM

I have run into a similar problem on European river cruises. We are looking into doing a river cruise in the next couple of years, and have gotten several brochures from different companys. My Aunt and a cousin were visiting from Germany this past summer and I showed my cousin the brochures and the itinerary we were planning on. She was flabbergasted at the prices we are charged in the US. She had cruised on of the lines the year before at half the price. She has checked with her TA in Germany about us booking through her and it cant be done. So in the next couple of years we will be going to Germany for a visit and taking a river cruise with family that will cost us almost double what their fare will be.

Donna March 4th, 2010 05:11 PM

Thanks Pat and Allen,
So, it works both ways, and in the end it works out even I guess.

Mike M March 4th, 2010 05:28 PM

In the last two years I have done the booking for my Polish relatives on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Last month I tried to do a booking for them on Princess and Princess would not allow the booking. They would have to go through a European agency.

The price for them was 50% higher. They decided to take an NCL cruise to Alaska.

Take care,
Mike

Cruise Socrates March 5th, 2010 07:01 AM

Princess are they going down

It seems Princess has disappointed quite a few customers recently especially with the recent incident in Chille their lack of communication to fellow passengers may mean they will end up losing loyal guest. I hope they manage to resolve your issue. Also have you tried using a different cruise company maybe Celebrity which is on par with Princess and possibly slightly better.

oldmum45 March 5th, 2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1278228)
Thanks Pat and Allen,
So, it works both ways, and in the end it works out even I guess.

soooo we all sit back and simply accept bad behaviour...

this is why they get away with it...

i was a travel agent, and i totally understand the reasoning of paying for international airfares in a home currency...but this is ONLY when travel involves your home port..

nothing stops me from buying my ticket to america from QANTAS, then going on line and buying an AA ticket LAX/NYC return...in us $$ then flying home on my aussie ticket..

THIS is what they are doing to us...forcing all to pay home prices even though the home port is NOT involved at all in the trip!!

as i have said..it is the agents that should be upset..in this day and age of the internet...it is beyond rude for a company to sell exactly the same product at a different list price depending on where some one lives..they want smaller countries to support larger countries with more competition..it isnt just the discounts that are better...it is the brochure list price..from the company that is cheaper to start with!!

so the agents in australia and elsewhere are already behind the 8 ball..

so yes...i will find a line that doesnt have this prcatice...or find another way to holiday...

there are many choice available..it is a pity the cruise lines dont realise this!!

regards

jules

Donna March 6th, 2010 06:33 AM

I don't believe this pricing practice is right or fair. All I'm saying that it's not just one sided, they do the same either in the US going overseas to cruise and the opposite, don't care for either. Why can't they just have the same price for everyone?

Parrot Mom March 6th, 2010 09:33 AM

Princess/Celebrity/NCL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise Socrates (Post 1278352)
It seems Princess has disappointed quite a few customers recently especially with the recent incident in Chille their lack of communication to fellow passengers may mean they will end up losing loyal guest. I hope they manage to resolve your issue. Also have you tried using a different cruise company maybe Celebrity which is on par with Princess and possibly slightly better.

Obviously when a cruise line is a disappointment in service YOU should try another line.. it only make sense.. We switched from RC to Celebrity after a horrendous cruise in 2005..Last April hearing that Princess was "on par" with Celebrity we thought we'd try it because we know so many Princess loyalists.. Our one experience on Princess proved it was FAR BELOW the standards we had expected and have received from Celebrity. Recently we cruised the NCL Gem. but we knew it was below our standards, but we got what we paid for.. a cruise and basically indifferent service and below par food..On another board I saw a review of the Constellation.. the cruisers first experience had been underwhelming...he tried it again and was raving about everything except one item.. Cruising definetely unless your going on luxury cruises is not what it used to be in service and experience..but for our hard earned $$ we have become loyal Celebrity cruisers.

oldmum45 March 6th, 2010 08:58 PM

exactly my point Donna...

I think it is fair that you have to book a home country agent IF the travel is in that home country...for example..I cant book Vaccations to Go for an Australian/New Zealand return cruise....but what if I am holidaying in Florida or Europe, do I have to contact an Aussie agent at home to book a last minute cruise? Under these biased rules - yes I do...

I have been given a list of Lines that dont impose discriminatory rules, and will be investigating these in future.

I just wish I owned a company that was so confident of their place in the market place that I could dictate such rules to the buying public..

but then again..all big business runs there operations on the premise that most are to complacent to vote with their feet!!

regards

Jules

Nurse Debra March 8th, 2010 01:27 AM

As I said before I agree that the practice doesn't seem fair, but I have no inside knowledge to know why most cruise lines do practice this. It may be just because they can or maybe there is some reason for it, but I am not able to understand why.

As far as looking elsewhere, even though Princess is very good, I know that I certainly would look around, if I could find a similar reliable cruise line at a much better price.

I would still like to hear more from those who have been able to get around this problem by booking in the US.

Debra

jacdenv24 March 8th, 2010 03:33 PM

I'm confused?? We live in Ontario,we have a U.S. bank account, a U.S. Visa credit card (with our Canadian address!) and have always booked with a U.S. agent and paid in U.S. funds. Never had to supply a U.S. address.