Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Passenger

Default uggh. got my cabin assignment

I really didnt want a cabin with upper berths in it which we got and also was hoping not to be on plaza deck which we also got. I don't think I'll ever book last minute again. If I complain is there any chance that they move us to a cabin without the upper berths??? We sail on Sunday and just got the cabin # last night. Help
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Sorry you didn't get the dream cabin.

That's the risk with booking a guarantee. Don't ever book one unless you will be happy with any cabin in that category.

An upper berth shouldn't be any problem. The bed folds into the wall and really doesn't impact your space.

I don't think there is too much you can do but you can call your TA and have them at least try to get you a different cabin but the chances are low that the assignment will be changed.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Admiral

unfortunately since you did book last minute you take whats available to you, hey your going on a cruise lol. Its worth a phone call to your TA to see if you could get a cabin change, if not double check at the pursers desk after you board, there is a chance that the ship isn't sold out and you might get something
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Passenger

this is the first time we've used a TA and how many ways can I say "useless". She's messed us up royally. She had a gty booking for us on a "hold" which she told me would expire at a certain time but she left the office before it expired so we lost it and it had already been upgraded from M to JJ. She couldn't get it back so we rebooked. She doesn't follow up on anything. She didn't use our FCC on the booking and once it was done we couldn't use them so I had to call and plead with Princess to do it which they did thankfully. She never calls back she works bankers hours, days off in a row and her co workers don't want to deal with something they aren't making a commission off of. We usually book direct and have had great service directly from princess so unless I find an amazing TA for future bookings which I will be doing in the next couple of months I'llhave to go direct. sorry for the vent.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Admiral

As has been said, when you book a guarantee, you take a certain amount of risk. In a sense, It's like being blindfolded and making a pick.
Always either (A) book the exact cabin you want up front or ( B ) be prepared to get something you may or may not be happy with by booking a guarantee.
Normally, you don't save very much at all by booking a guarantee over picking
the cabin you want to begin with.
Re/ your T.A., we all have different views on that. I'm extremely happy with the lady I deal with and wouldn't change unless she retired or got out of the business for some reason. I'd rather deal with a good T.A. than the cruise line any day. The cruise line doesn't give me shipboard credits. wine as a gift, etc.
But to each his / her own.
Happy sails, wherever you end up bunking !!
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Passenger

I appreciate your views. we pushed our ta to ask about moving and while they couldn't do it, princess offered an OBC. A few free drinks will help. I'm not going to let the cabin spoil the vacation but weve never done a gty before and our TA led us to believe that an upgrade was a certainty. Our fault in the end.
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinbuddy View Post
this is the first time we've used a TA and how many ways can I say "useless". She's messed us up royally. She had a gty booking for us on a "hold" which she told me would expire at a certain time but she left the office before it expired so we lost it and it had already been upgraded from M to JJ. She couldn't get it back so we rebooked. She doesn't follow up on anything. She didn't use our FCC on the booking and once it was done we couldn't use them so I had to call and plead with Princess to do it which they did thankfully. She never calls back she works bankers hours, days off in a row and her co workers don't want to deal with something they aren't making a commission off of. We usually book direct and have had great service directly from princess so unless I find an amazing TA for future bookings which I will be doing in the next couple of months I'llhave to go direct. sorry for the vent.
If I am reading your story correctly, it sounds like you had an upgrade and your TA let it expire. Princess is known for free upgrades and it is true that you should always book a cabin that will meet your needs. You are fortunate that Princess would even talk to you directly as many cruise lines won't even talk to you if you have booked through a TA. That is what I like about Princess, even when there are problems that are not even their fault, Princess still tries to accommodate as best they can.

One thing that you could try is to go to the purser's office as soon as you board and see if there is anything else available.

For me, your story is just one more reason to book direct with Princess and I have never had any trouble. While I have received many generous upgrades, the upgrade fairy is certainly not there every time.

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Admiral

cruisinbuddy - run don't walk away from that TA and that agency. I am sorry that you had a bad experience dealing with a travel agent. I have a GREAT agent, and she is worth her weight in gold ! lol, all i have to do is call her up tell her i want to go on a cruise, she knows our likes and dislikes, wants and dont wants and she finds just the perfect cruise for us, and she has always been there if anything arises.
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you just need to find a better agent, try the one here that does our Cruisemates cruises, she always calls back or answers your e-mail...You shouldn't have had to loose your guarantee just because she let it slip and then was away, just not right.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

sadly this travel agent dropped the ball..and honestly, problems can arise booking with the line as well....As Mike said, the bunk has no impact on your space, really a non issue...the issue is a lackluster agent, but don't write off getting the proper agent for your next cruise...when you find the right one, they are pro active for you, when you need it....once you sail,the cruise line connection is a moot point...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 10th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Passenger

Cruisebuddy.. We booked an M and were assigned a JJ on the Sapphire Princess. We booked one month before the cruise date. We booked directly with Princess. This is our 26th cruise and we have booked probably the last half directly with the cruise lines. We had so many problems with our TA. The last straw is when he didn't tell us that Celebrity was offering a free cruise for us when we had one canceled at the last minute. His mistake would have cost us over $2,000.
Anyway about your cabin. Our cabin is way forward almost to the tip of the ship, up on Baja deck. I would much rather be on Plaza, if we get some rough waters coming back from Cabo. I was way forward before coming back from Cabo and my cabin was going UP and Down all day. UGH! Hope you have a fun cruise
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Princess is known for free upgrades
It's funny, I've been writing about the cruise industry for more than 10 years now, and have never heard that one.

As far as my observations go, all of the cruise lines are pretty equal in this regard. Upgrades are based on availablity, and how well particular sailings have sold, and if there's demand in certain categories over others.

When booking, you do have a choice of booking a specific cabin, or booking a minimum category guarantee... in other words booking a category of cabin that is the lowest category you find acceptable, and taking the chances for an upgrade to a higher category.

If there's a lowest category cabin that would be acceptable, that's what you should book.

That said... it certainly does sound as though the original poster booked with a lousy travel agent. But that's part of the process too... finding a GOOD travel agent.

Because Princess does allow travel agents to discount prices, from their commissions, some searching can find you a lower price than booking direct, and still have someone knowledgable and service oriented working for you.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/