Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Default Canada/New England Cruise in October

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess Canada/New England cruise October 16, 2010, and my final payment is due by August 2nd. I didn't realize when I booked that this was the last cruise for this itinerary. I am now wondering if there will be any fall colors left and will the weather be too cold/rainy? Please advise. Also, what excursions are recommended in each port? The ship will be going to Newport, R.I., Boston, Mass.,Bar Harbor, Maine, St John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Thanks,
Shopper123
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Familiar Face

Don't worry, although the leaves may be a little past peak in northern New England, the leaves in RI and Mass will be just right.
08/02/2012 ~
Ocean Princess, Ireland & Scotland
~~
07/29/2013 ~ Royal Princess ~ Grand Mediterranean

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks Sunlava 7 for the information on the Fall leaves.
Shopper123
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I live just outside Boston and, we usually peak mid Oct...as you travel north, the colors have faded or fallen..but, rest assured, you will see beauty all around you!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Admiral

as any of us new englanders here will tell you, the weather in new england can be fickle at best, but with that being said, chances are good you will still see some good foliage, as for the weather well it could be autum chill or you could hit indian summer and it can get down right hot, plan clothing for both, a 3-season jacket or a good heavy zip-front sweatshirt for excursions and gloves might not be a bad idea either.
As for what to see; Newport - tour the mansions - definately, in Boston so much history, you can walk the Freedom Trail, go to the Science Musuem, take duck-boat tour
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Trip,
Thanks for the assurance we will see beauty all around us, can't wait!
Lisa K,
The weather in middle October sounds like the Alaskan cruise we took the end of May-first week in June last year. The weather was in the 80's all week long with no rain. It felt like we were back in California.
As for the tours, the mansions in R.I. sound good and the Freedom Trail is definitely on our to do list.
Thanks,
Shopper123
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:40 AM
First Mate

We are booked on the same cruise, but its from September 18th to the 25th. We are so looking forward to this cruise. The fall colors should be great, and since we are west coast people, this will be quite a difference than San Francisco.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Let me give my 2 cents from a Canadian perspective. We recently moved to Nova Scotia, and last fall the colours were brilliant right to the end of October.
If you're stopping in Halifax, make sure you visit the kiosk on the pier selling Beaver Tails - a delectable treat!
You also don't want to miss the Maritime Museum, also located on the pier, which has an amazing exhibit if you are at all interested in the Titanic.
Don't know if the cruise line offers harbour tours, but you can probably get one while in port. You can sail on a big ship, or just a harbour ferry for some beautiful views of the upscale homes and local colour.
Hope you enjoy your cruise - the Caribbean Princess is a favourite of mine!

donna
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Cool N.E. Cruises

These are the most underated itineraries in the cruise industry. Uncrowded ports, locals who will go out of their way to help. As a Bostonian I have to recommend the Duck Boats, Newport you can get off the tender and I think it's to the left go to the Tourist Center and buy tickets for whatever mansions or tours you'd like (Rosecliff is my favorite), Halifax..one of my favorite places, a colorful college city with a meandering walk and local Arcadian musicians and craft people set up from the terminal..There is a Hop on Hop Off bus, but the highlight for us was going to see and I know this sounds morbid,but it isn't...the hillside graveyard of the Titanic victims.. and then down to the fort for the shooting off of the cannons at noon..Peggy Cove can be a "crap shoot",, if it's foggy you won't be able to see a thing and it's very touristy.. There is a glass factory near the waterfront and the museum. St. John, very laid back. a wonderful welcoming from the Lord Mayor and often a bagpiper. There are the Reversing Falls that you can get to by local bus.. and hopefully it's still there, a little ferry to take you back to the tourist area and the City Market. There are three brothers who own restaurants and one has a lobster shack on the road back to the ships, on t he left set back.. Bar Harbor... a charming town where you can go to Arcadia National Park. All along in these ports, especially in Halifax, Bar Harbor and St John the best lobster you will ever taste. The mantra is... the colder the water, the sweeter the lobster.. As for the foliage.. Mother Nature is very fickle..we just never know...For instance today, we are having away from the water here in MA hot enough weather to put on the a/c. With luck you will be able to see the whales feeding off the coast, these playful giants.
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Deepspace,
Yes I agree with you as fellow Californians too, the east coast fall should be very different than California's fall. I can't wait to see!
Enjoy your September cruise.

Rollerdonna,
Oh I am so happy to hear that the fall colors will be still alive in Nova Scotia towards the end of October.
I definitely have the Maritime Museum on my to see list as I love Titantic history.
Rollerdonna, you have my curiosity up, you mentioned a sweet treat know as "Beaver Tails". What is that?
Enjoy your next cruise!

Parrot Mom,
Thank you for all the interesting recommendations of things to see and do in New England/Canada. You are always so helpful and informative. I will definitely take your good advice.

Again thanks to all!
shopper123
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148

Hey There!

We are booking this same cruise TOMORROW(TODAY) however u want to look at it, Anyways when i get home from work on thursday, we are booking this cruise. We have been debating between the Carnival Glory and Princess, both out of NYC , we are going to give Princess a try, first timmer here. We have cruised Carnival and love it but are excited to try something new. I too was a little worried about the colors being over with, but the more i researched it the better i feel about it. This will be my first time EVER to Canda and New Englad.

-David
9/07/2009 - Carnival Destiny
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Passenger

Hi David,
That is great that we will be on the same Caribbean Princess New England/Canada cruise. Are you from California too?
As far as the Princess Cruise line, we have gone on 2 of their cruises. We went to Alaska and Mexico, and were very happy with the itineraries, the food, service, and entertainment. Several years back we took 2 NCL cruises but I think we prefer Princess over NCL so far.
As far as the fall colors, I guess the weather has a lot to do with when the leaves change. After doing some research from another cruise site it seems like most of the October '09 cruises to New England/Canada had very cold and rainey weather. Lets hope our cruise weather will be like a mild Indian summer. That would be perfect!
Have fun on your cruise.

Shopper123
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

nope! From North Carolina here!
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopper123 View Post
As far as the fall colors, I guess the weather has a lot to do with when the leaves change. After doing some research from another cruise site it seems like most of the October '09 cruises to New England/Canada had very cold and rainey weather. Lets hope our cruise weather will be like a mild Indian summer. That would be perfect!
Have fun on your cruise.

Shopper123
Yes, the weather does affect the autumn colors in New England, but you'll be sure to see some magnificient foliage somewhere along the way. Be prepared for any weather October can vary from snowflakes to 80 degrees (and though rare, we do get hurricanes). As we locals say, "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute."
08/02/2012 ~
Ocean Princess, Ireland & Scotland
~~
07/29/2013 ~ Royal Princess ~ Grand Mediterranean

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Yes Sunluva7, I will be prepared for the unpredictable October New England weather from head to toe.
As for the rare hurricanes in October, I hope it doesn't happen. I think I would take my California earthquakes over a hurricane anytime.
Thanks again,
Shopper123
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Is there a roll call on cruisemates.com ? there is a rollcall for this cruise on the other site.

I hope the weather will be not so rainy/cold, i hope its nice enough to sit out on deck and enjoy the views in the fresh air.

-David
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Scroll to the bottom of the page..you will see: forum jump.....the drop down menu will offer you a meet on board selection, at the bottom of that menu...

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Familiar Face

We are booked on Oct. 17th. on Crown Princess out of Quebec City. As far as the colours are concerned. It will be hit and miss. It all depends on our Canadain weather as to how many colours will be left.
We have been on about 10 Canada new England cruise and asolutely love this itinery.
I would reccommend that you take a shore excursion in St. John New Brunswick. The Halifax waterfront is lovely and there is so much to do there. You must visit the Pier 21 exhitbit. You can actually trace anyone that may have immigrated using this port.
there is an extensive boardwalk with shops and historical points of view.
If you donlt like to shop (I love to shop) I would reccommend a tour of some sort in BAr Harbour.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Default Bar harbor

Enjoy Bar Harbor now... it seems they are not thrilled with cruise ships coming in and Portland is expanding..not as charming, but never the less an interesting port
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Hi Haze60,
I am glad to hear that you will be on your 11th Canada/New England cruise the week we will be going. In the the 10 Canada/New England cruises you have taken what months did you go, just curious?
You didn't mention which shore excursion in St John you could recommend. Do do you have a favorite?
In Halifax the Pier 21 exhibit and the historical points of views sounds like worth seeing. The boardwalk loaded with shops sounds exciting as well. I do love to shop, in fact I have a blackbelt in shopping! I just hope we can combine the Titanic tour/Museum with time on the boardwalk.
Thanks for the info,
shopper123
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Passenger

Hi Parrot Mom,
Just curious, why is Bar Harbor Maine not thrilled with the cruise ships coming in? Don't they want our cruise $$$$?
Take care,
shopper123
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Shopper, just a nod and a grin to your screen name....my Massachusetts license plate is: Shop*r

Old June 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Default Bar Harbor

Quote:
Hi Parrot Mom,
Just curious, why is Bar Harbor Maine not thrilled with the cruise ships coming in? Don't they want our cruise $$$$?
Take care,
shopper123

Have heard this from somebody who lives in Maine...and Portland going full head to accomodate larger ships while she has heard that they don't want to dredge in Bar Harbor.. To make this more interesting..Gloucester, MA is becoming a port too...unless your interested in antiques and fantastic fish...for the most part you have to head towards Boston.. there are some great possible excursions from Gloucester possibly Salem and the Witches Museums and the incredible Peabody Museum in Salem.. Shopper123 Mainers are in a category by themselves..lol
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the latest info on Maine Parrot Mom. I'll do some further research on your possible excursion ideas.
As always, thank you Parrot Mom.
shopper123:-D
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Default Ideas

Quote:
Thank you for the latest info on Maine Parrot Mom. I'll do some further research on your possible excursion ideas.
As always, thank you Parrot Mom.
shopper123:-D

One thing is for sure.. I like to "play it forward".. for all the help that we have received on the boards.. Enjoy