CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Pre-Cruise Lodging in LA (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/374266-pre-cruise-lodging-la.html)

Jan P June 2nd, 2010 10:01 PM

Pre-Cruise Lodging in LA

Greetings everyone. We booked on a cruise leaving out of LA and would appreciate any recommendations on lodging. We have no preference whether it's an airport location or close to port. We haven't a clue what's available. Your suggestions are appreciated!

Mike M June 3rd, 2010 09:28 AM

My recommendation is to use Priceline and bid $80 for a 3.5* in San Pedro. The hotel that is coming up the most is the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles. It has a shuttle to the port and a good location.

If you are unable to get that then there is the Doubletree and the the 2* Holiday Inn.

Take care,
Mike

Phil&Liz June 3rd, 2010 07:33 PM

Are you really sailing from LA or Long Beach?
That would make a dif on hotel and airport.

LA offers several airports making the flight costs vary.

Long Beach offers the Queen Mary as lodging and it is right on the pier for the cruise ship.

Phil & Liz

Mike M June 3rd, 2010 10:48 PM

Princess sails out of San Pedro.

Take care,
Mike

Jan P June 4th, 2010 12:35 AM

We sail out of San Pedro on the Sapphire Princess. I've read past posts from cruisers saying the San Pedro area is not the best area. I don't know whether the posters were referring to safety issues or lack of lodging.

Thanks for the replies!

Mike M June 4th, 2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan P (Post 1295708)
We sail out of San Pedro on the Sapphire Princess. I've read past posts from cruisers saying the San Pedro area is not the best area. I don't know whether the posters were referring to safety issues or lack of lodging.

Thanks for the replies!

It isn't a safety issue it is because there isn't much around there. It is a port area and it looks like a port area. If you don't have a car then a taxi is required.

Take care,
Mike

Jan P June 4th, 2010 01:29 PM

Ahhhh...that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying, Mike.

shopper123 June 4th, 2010 06:37 PM

Hi Jan,
Have you checked into the Princess cruise plus hotel package for Los Angeles? I think it is the LAX Marriott Hotel they use. Princess handles all the details including transfers, baggage handling, and accommodations, and they have their reps in the lobby of the hotel to assist you.
Good luck!

Shopper123

Phil&Liz June 4th, 2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1295701)
Princess sails out of San Pedro.

Take care,
Mike

Right ! Oops sorry.;)

Didn't realize when I saw the subject that it was in the Princess forum.

Phil & Liz

Fern June 4th, 2010 08:35 PM

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza, San Pedro, and it was great! You can walk to stores and restaurants (there's a nice one on site), and, if you ask when you check in, you may be able to get a room facing the harbor and see all of the ship's come in!

We've also stayed at the Doubletree, San Pedro. It was also nice, but we didn't find it within walking distance of anything. We thought it was overpriced.

JMHO,

Kamloops Cruiser June 4th, 2010 08:50 PM

We use the Marriot thru Princess on May 13/10 for our coastal/Alaska Cruise. We also took the Princess shuttle to San Pedro. The shuttle from LAX to the marriot is free.