CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   14 Day Cruise - Balcony vs. Mini Suite (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/375091-14-day-cruise-balcony-vs-mini-suite.html)

Pixie Dust July 8th, 2010 11:10 PM

14 Day Cruise - Balcony vs. Mini Suite

We booked a 14 day LA/Hawaii cruise (8 sea days....woo hoo!!!) and chose a stateroom on the Caribe Deck because of the larger balcony. Now we're wondering if we should bump up to mini-suite for the extra cabin space.

If you were booking this cruise, what would you choose... a mini suite or a stateroom with a larger balcony?

Mike M July 9th, 2010 12:44 AM

I do enjoy the mini-suites on Princess but it would really depend on the price.

If it's within your budget then go for it. If you could use the money for excursions, specialty dining, cocktails or other expenses then stay with the standard balcony and enjoy.

Take care,
Mike

LisaK July 9th, 2010 10:29 AM

Mini-Suites are awesome, love the extra living space, larger bathroom and closet space. If the price difference between a balcony cabin and a mini-suite is doable within your budget then i say go for it, especially if there are more than 2 people staying in your cabin. Caribe is our favorite deck

Nurse Debra July 10th, 2010 01:01 AM

I agree with the above posters and would go for the mini-suite, if the difference in price is not too great. If there are more than two staying in the cabin then I would highly recommend the mini-suite.

Debra

john_galt July 10th, 2010 11:13 AM

I was on Caribe on the Grand Princess and the oversize balcony was nice. While I'm a big fan of spending time on the balcony, you have eight days at sea and there's only so much time you can spend looking at open water from horizon to horizon. I would gladly pay the difference for the extra 100 square feet, the second TV, and the tub. Also, the cantilevered shape of the ship means that your extended balcony is very visible to the decks above. I never got used to the people up above. The mini-suites balconies on Emerald deck are much more private. Im booked in E730 on the Crown.

Trip July 10th, 2010 12:03 PM

Let me add my 2 cents...the mini wins it...The 2 of you will fit nicely on the balcony....:)

sistagoldenhair July 10th, 2010 02:53 PM

I would stay with the larger balcony. In my opinion the mini's were not worth the extra $$$. Don't get me wrong, the larger bathroom was such a treat ,but if you have 8 sea days, I think you would enjoy the larger balcony more than the extra living space.

That sounds like a fabulous cruise!!! Have fun:)

johnthed0g July 10th, 2010 07:46 PM

We would always have the best cabin we feel we could afford, I think people who say they don't spend much time in their cabin have cabins they don't like.

Donna July 10th, 2010 08:03 PM

I think the mini would be wonderful...What is the price difference?? May be worth it, but if too much, the balcony cabin will do.

Fern July 10th, 2010 09:50 PM

We love the mini-suites for longer cruise's. Having two television's, extra "living" room and a bathtub (even though we use it for showering :)) is wonderful!

The AC and AD balconies on Dolphin deck are uncovered. The AB on Caribe deck is partially covered. We're happy with the AD cabin :) . Just being able to get fresh air is a plus for us. We also enjoy viewing when we come in and out of port's.

If your budget will allow, go for it :D !

Pixie Dust July 10th, 2010 09:54 PM

An upgrade to a mini would be approximately $475.00 extra per person for this particular cruise. Yikes.....

Fern July 10th, 2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixie Dust (Post 1302687)
An upgrade to a mini would be approximately $475.00 extra per person for this particular cruise. Yikes.....

Wow!!! I'm going to have to rethink what I posted a few minutes ago. I'd absolutely stay with the balcony cabin with the mini costing that much more :) !

I'd also suggest that you keep checking the prices. They might go down after final payment.

sistagoldenhair July 11th, 2010 08:59 AM

Yikes is right - $475 pp I woud be booking a 2nd cruise for that much, but I do try and book the cheap cruises so can go more often :D

But on the other hand, it comes out to $34pp per day - that doesnt seem too bad for the upgrade. I still think you'll love the balcony. 8 sea days - what a dream cruise that is!!! I just luv the sea days.

alshasta July 31st, 2010 12:05 AM

All I can tell you is we did a 10 day in a balcony room and that room started to feel pretty small. Ever since we book a mini suite.

Pixie Dust July 31st, 2010 01:32 PM

For those who have done the 14 day cruise to Hawaii, were you lucky enough to have a price drop before final paymen? If the price drops after final payment, will Princess re-fare?

We're about 8 months away from our cruise....and still haven't decided whether to go mini or Caribe balcony. ;-)

charlietuna August 6th, 2010 07:19 PM

the size suite depends upon several factors, the number of occupants and the snob appeal.

worthew8 August 7th, 2010 08:11 PM

They re-fared for me. I just called their 800 number. In Alaska, the higher up you are, the better, speaking as a photographer. This is why I chose an outside with balcony.

My last cruise down south, I chose the mini suite (and loved it), knowing the view of the ocean for 10 days was the same wherever my cabin was located.

It's my opinion, either way, you will not be disappointed.

lousgal2 August 11th, 2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixie Dust (Post 1302291)
We booked a 14 day LA/Hawaii cruise (8 sea days....woo hoo!!!) and chose a stateroom on the Caribe Deck because of the larger balcony. Now we're wondering if we should bump up to mini-suite for the extra cabin space.

If you were booking this cruise, what would you choose... a mini suite or a stateroom with a larger balcony?

The advantage of your cabin is a covered balcony,but the cabin is TINY. The mini-suite is very roomy,great bathroom and storage space, but the balcony is uncovered on Dolphin deck where most minis are.
My husband loves the 2 tvs and two clickers. we go during football season and when he gets tired of watching the big screen,he
relaxes on the sofa with his clicker.
You'll have a great time anyway. You are on the high seas --
what could be bad about it.

DeepSpace August 22nd, 2010 01:47 AM

We have tried both, but you can not go wrong with the mini, the extra space is great, and with the amount of sea days you will love it. Have a great trip.

johnthed0g August 22nd, 2010 07:01 AM

Way I see this is irrespective of what I am buying whether it's food, a car, or a hotel room I buy the best I can afford....how else?

K-Roo-Zers September 5th, 2010 10:59 PM

Wow, $475 extra for 14 nights in a Mini - We (Aussies) would kill (well, almost) to be able to secure pricing for that!!!

You would have apolplexy if you knew the difference in pricing between a balcony and a Mini is for us.

We are taking a 15 night cruise on Island Princess in a Mini, to the Panama (our first time) and were forced to book via a local TA. When I spoke to a US TA (just to satisfy my curiosity), the price difference was $3,500 for the two of us - same cabin. Ouch, it really hurts. Plus on top of that, we didn't get a single cent in OBC, nothing, nada, not even a bottle of wine!!

I am green with envy - go for it!!

On the plus side, we can't wait to take our cruise, and will enjoy every minute of it.

Happy sailing.