Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Cool Has anyone sailed on Princess AND Holland America?!?

Hi all,

My parents have been on both ships, and they are having a debate on which cruiseline is better..

I have only sailed with Holland America, but I would like to try Princess at some point.

To anyone who has been on both lines, are there any major differences between the 2 cruiselines?

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Admiral

it is almost impossible to compare one line to another, its like trying to compare apples to oranges. What one person thinks is important or awesome might not be an issue to someone else, its all about personal preference in what you are looking for in your cruise experience.
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Passenger

I think I'm more interested in finding out the differences between the types of passengers that sail on HAL vs Princess (age groups, families, etc..); and the types of onboard activities each line offers.

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Admiral

since you have sailed on HA you have a basic idea of what she has to offer. I would have to say that for me Princess is a bit more lively, especially on the larger class ships. A huge plus from Princess is the Horizon Court Buffet which is open 24hrs, we love the Grand Class ships, the center of activity being Neptune's Reef Pool, Princess limits the number of kids on each sailing, and we never felt overwhelmed with kids being aboard, i remember one cruise, we were told how many kids were aboard, and we were like really? where are they all hiding lol. Princess service is very good, as is the food. On the last formal night we love the midnight Champagne Fountain, everyone stays dressed in their fancy duds for the most part, and its a great party
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Passenger

I had no idea that they limited the # of kids on board.. thats good to know!

My main concern when cruising is that it will be more of a playground then a sophisticated cruising experience.. with that in mind I might be more willing to give Princess a shot!!

Old July 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Admiral

absoutley not a playground! lol. I decribe Princess as casual/nice with the right touch of refinement.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Passenger

That's great to hear, Thanks Lisa!

Old July 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Captain

We have sailed on both HAL and Princess. The Hal ships that we have sailed were part of the older fleet and the decor was a little too dark for my tastes. We felt the food and service was about the same. I do agree that the Princess ships do seem to be a little bit livelier than HAL ships.

Overall I would definitely give the nod to Princess for many of the reasons stated above.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPatches View Post
Hi all,

My parents have been on both ships, and they are having a debate on which cruiseline is better..

I have only sailed with Holland America, but I would like to try Princess at some point.

To anyone who has been on both lines, are there any major differences between the 2 cruiselines?
I've been on both and they are both good. Holland America ships are smaller and therefore the service seems a bit better.
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Passenger

We've been on both lines, and I would say the passengers were more senior on HollandAmerica, but now HollandAmerica have done away with some of their quirky but lovable eccentricities there isn't any real difference for us.
Yes, now it just comes down to cost date and itinerary.
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
Passenger

My husband and I are really liking Princess.....we do notice there are an older crowd, however, that doesn't bother us....food is great...love the huge screen at the pool for movies....Holland is nice but I almost feel that Princess is a bit more active. Enjoy
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
it is almost impossible to compare one line to another, its like trying to compare apples to oranges. What one person thinks is important or awesome might not be an issue to someone else, its all about personal preference in what you are looking for in your cruise experience.
I agree with Lisa...all depends on what you like to do, etc.....I like Princess....it does seem to be a bit more lively....love the food, horizon buffett...the huge screen theatre at the pool......no complaints here....the crowd does seem a little older but no biggy
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
since you have sailed on HA you have a basic idea of what she has to offer. I would have to say that for me Princess is a bit more lively, especially on the larger class ships. A huge plus from Princess is the Horizon Court Buffet which is open 24hrs, we love the Grand Class ships, the center of activity being Neptune's Reef Pool, Princess limits the number of kids on each sailing, and we never felt overwhelmed with kids being aboard, i remember one cruise, we were told how many kids were aboard, and we were like really? where are they all hiding lol. Princess service is very good, as is the food. On the last formal night we love the midnight Champagne Fountain, everyone stays dressed in their fancy duds for the most part, and its a great party
Princess previously limited the number of kids onboard. But the Sales and Revenue Departments won the battle. No limitations anymore. Now the only limits for 3rd and 4th berths are life jackets and lifeboat capacities.
On family holidays, it is not unusual to find between 800 and 1,000 kids on a Princess ship. It's a shopping mall at sea.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPatches View Post
Hi all,

We have been on both HAL & Princess.

Our preference will probably be Princess . The biggest difference is the price

of the cruise . We have found lately Princess can be up to $500 CDN less

for a cruise that leaves at the around same time and does the same ports.:-)

Princess seems to have a younger age group the HAL on board.

As to food ,tours,entertainment etc that is subject to personal preference.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

I have sailed both lines on more than one occassion. Both lines are very good but I give the edge to Princess. Princess seemed to have more daytime activities than Holland. I also think the Princess ships are a little more elegant but Holland is no slouch, very nice ships as well. Food on both lines is very good although I really enjoyed Sabatinis' on Princess. Service on both lines was excellent. Hollands staterooms are slightly larger than Princess but not by much. I think you will be happy with either.

Previous ships sailed:
Princess Diamond, Golden, and Emerald this coming Oct
Holland Westerdam, Oosterdam, Ziuderdam.
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Familiar Face

Default Hal verses Princess?

I have cruised several times with Holland America and loved them each time.
I will be taking my first Princess Cruise in a few months from Venice, Italy back to Ft. Lauderdale with stops in Naples, Rome, Cannes and Barcelona so will be able to compare after that.
I have cruised on Norwegian Line and hated it!!! It has small (and I mean tiny) state rooms, and has a feeling of being a cheap cruise line.
Norwegian did have good shows in the theatre and the food was good but both were no where as good as HAL.
Enjoy your cruise.