CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Best time to use the self laundries on the Ruby Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/375759-best-time-use-self-laundries-ruby-princess.html)

Tom Tom August 1st, 2010 03:06 PM

Best time to use the self laundries on the Ruby Princess

We will be sailing on the Ruby Princess from Venice Italy back to Ft. Lauderdale. We know there are self laundry rooms on each deck but wondering when the best time to use them. How big are they and how crowded are they. Since this cruise is 16 days will need to do laundry sometime on the cruise. Thanks in advance for any infomation you can supply.

Mike M August 1st, 2010 04:07 PM

The best time to use most laundry rooms is late at night. The next best time is early afternoon on port days. This isn't the best because it means you have to stay onboard and do laundry.

I would go with the late night laundry or during dinner. Sea Days from around 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. are the worst times.

Take care,
Mike

Tom Tom August 1st, 2010 06:59 PM

Thanks for the information...hopfully will be able to use it without too much trouble.
Guess it depends on how many washers and dryers there are.

Fern August 1st, 2010 09:28 PM

We haven't been on the Ruby (yet!), but I'd think that dinner time or "in port time" would be the best time to do laundry. Sea day's are very busy!

We've done our laundry on several Princess ship's. There are usually at least two washer's and two dryers in each laundromat (sometime's 3).

Kamloops Cruiser August 1st, 2010 10:04 PM

We where on the both Island and Coral this year . We found the best was on port days or very early on sea days.

Parrot Mom August 1st, 2010 10:51 PM

Best Time

During the days at sea I would get up early for the door to open..there were chairs in the room and often I would sit there with a book. MOST fellow washers were quite friendly.. I loved watching the men doing the washing and ironing...while mine slept. Be sure to have a roll of quarters with you

Donna August 2nd, 2010 10:46 AM

Keep in mind, the laundry rooms do close at night and re-open in the morning. I know I went once first thing in the AM and they were not open yet. Went back a little later and had to wait...I think Mike's advise on a port day is right on....

LisaK August 2nd, 2010 11:28 AM

we found that during dinner hours wasn't a bad time as well as in the afternoon on a port day when you get back from a morning excursion or visa-versa

Tom Tom August 2nd, 2010 07:21 PM

Self Laundry on Ruby Princess

Thanks to all of you for the great information.

LisaK August 3rd, 2010 09:19 AM

glad to be of help, just another bit of FYI, don't try to even attempt to iron anything before dinner, lots of passengers must wait until its time to get dressed for dinner before checking their clothing for wrinkles and then its a mad dash for the iron lol

JBOO46 August 20th, 2010 07:43 PM

Hey Tom Tom, I am going on the exact same cruise!! I was actually wondering the same thing too LOL.

By the way, only 48 days away! :)

nettnut August 20th, 2010 10:05 PM

Laundry costs

What is the going rate for washers and dryers?
Dennis

Kamloops Cruiser August 20th, 2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettnut (Post 1311104)
What is the going rate for washers and dryers?
Dennis

About $2.50 for a complete load ( wash & dry). The machines only take US quarters (25 cents):cool:
Avaiable from the guest services in amounts of $10

Tom Tom August 23rd, 2010 03:32 PM

Seems we have our answer. Should be a great cruise. Now if someone will just tell me about the Shore Tours.

LisaK August 24th, 2010 11:22 AM

Tom- best place to post your questions about shore tours is over on the Shore Excursions board

DeepSpace September 6th, 2010 02:00 AM

The best time for laundry is sea days at night (check for close time) or when you are in port and everyone went ashore. Have a great cruise.

Dannyboy September 6th, 2010 09:11 AM

Laundry cost

I found that the cost for laundry is different on every ship, nevertheless soap and bleach from vending machine is $1.00 each.
Between buying soap, bleach wash and dry, you will spend around $5 and $6 per load.

Early morning and any time after 7 PM, excluding the last day of the cruise.
Concerning using the irons, avoid using from 5 PM and 7 PM, everybody has the same idea.

I have purchased laundry supplies in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Cape Canaveral, Seattle, San Pedro and a few other ports.

I don't advise traveling via air lines with laundry supplies inside your luggage, very bad idea.

Suggestion, purchase your laundry supplies from a dollar store after arriving at your departure Port, if you State side.
1) Powder soap, 2) Powder Bleach, 3) Softener liquid or Sheets, 4) Spotting and stain removers for your entire cruise under $6 for everything.
Granite, not the same as TIDE, but the price is right.

Any left over supplies is a nice bonus for your cabin stuart.