CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cell Phone (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/375894-cell-phone.html)

nettnut August 5th, 2010 11:59 PM

Cell Phone

I have heard that cell phone usage requires payment to use the ships cell phone signal. Does anyone have the scoop on using them?

Mike M August 6th, 2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettnut (Post 1307759)
I have heard that cell phone usage requires payment to use the ships cell phone signal. Does anyone have the scoop on using them?

If you have AT&T, Verizon or Sprint you will be charged $2.95/minute for cell phone usage while the ship is at sea. T-Mobile is $4.99/minute. This is the carriers charge and not the ship's. The charges will appear on your cell phone bill.

Depending on your plan using the phone in ports will probably be less per minute.

If you do wish to use your phone during your cruise, either on the ship or in ports, make sure you have International Roaming. Your carrier can add this feature to your plan. Most carriers do not charge for this feature but charge the per-minute charge for International usage.

Also shut off data. This will really run up your bill if you receive email or browse on the ship.

The best thing is to shut the phone off and only turn it on if you need to make a call.

Take care and enjoy your cruise.
Mike

LisaK August 6th, 2010 10:05 AM

Mike is totally correct on this one. Hey you are on vacation why do you need your cell phone anyway? lol if you just want to check in at home, it is usually cheaper to wait until you get to port or to use the internet cafes on the ship. We only bring one cell phone when we cruise, which we only use for emergency purposes

Trip August 6th, 2010 10:14 AM

Kibbitzing on a ship, can be very costly. One cruise my husband was in contact with our son at our business, and he was contemplating leaving the ship to go home....Bill was almost $200.00...ouch!

nettnut August 6th, 2010 06:38 PM

We have US Cellular and wanted a heads up on the costs. I will check with our carrier about an international plan. I agree with you. Why use them..Your on vacation right! These things are good to know before we take a picture and send it or call someone to tell them what their missing by not being here.

Thanks !!

worthew8 August 7th, 2010 07:05 PM

if you have to

If you have to communicate, and your phone is equipped with wifi...buy the internet minutes, turn your phone to Airplane mode, and use email. This option is much easier than toting a laptop without paying additional charges.

I found this an easy way to keep in touch, via email.

If there is a real emergency back home, they can call the ship themselves.

You won't be charged roaming while in Airplane mode. Worked for me on my Sprint Palm Pre.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I do not know the ways of different carriers.

RichC August 8th, 2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1307760)
If you have AT&T, Verizon or Sprint you will be charged $2.95/minute for cell phone usage while the ship is at sea. T-Mobile is $4.99/minute. This is the carriers charge and not the ship's. The charges will appear on your cell phone bill.

Depending on your plan using the phone in ports will probably be less per minute.

If you do wish to use your phone during your cruise, either on the ship or in ports, make sure you have International Roaming. Your carrier can add this feature to your plan. Most carriers do not charge for this feature but charge the per-minute charge for International usage.

Also shut off data. This will really run up your bill if you receive email or browse on the ship.

The best thing is to shut the phone off and only turn it on if you need to make a call.

Take care and enjoy your cruise.
Mike

Are you sure that T-Mobil charges more than the others? It doesn't seem right somehow unless T-Mobil wants their special cut. :rolleyes: