Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruise and Inside Cabin!! Help

Hello to All, We will be taking our first cruise in 6 weeks. The Crown Princess ,Canada/New England. Can anyone tell me just how big these inside cabins really are? Really nervous about it. We wanted to save a bit , so we can spend on tours etc... Most seasoned cruisers I have talked with tell me not to worry, as much time isn't spent in your cabin anyway, only to sleep and shower.We aren't claustophobic , but I am also a bit worried about the seasick thing. Anyone have any suggestions ? Braclets or earpatches ?Also been told the ship is so big that one doesn't know that it's moving. True or False ?Guess I'm just looking for reassurance. My husband and I are so excitied about this , and I don't want our holiday ruined by my worries. Any thoughts or opinions on/ about this will be appreciated. Thanks and wish us Luck!!!!
Mary
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Welcome to Cruisemates Mary.

Don't worry--It will be fine. Just go with an open mind and enjoying the new experiences.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM
First Mate

You will probably have the time of your life no matter where you go or what cabin you are in! I felt rather clueless on my first cruise but have learned so much since then by a)just going and b) visiting this site regularly.

My advice is to consider this a shake-down cruise (hah!) and a chance to find out what your preferences are as far as cabins and activities. (And also whether you get seasick - very unlikely).

Have a great time!
Old August 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Familiar Face

Smile

Try not to stress about every little thing and remember you are on vacation!!! I don't think you should worry about seasickness, as these ships really do move well in the water. Bring some dramamine just in case. The inside cabins are fine for a first cruise..yes they are smaller but on a first cruise you will probably be spending so much time everywhere else on the ship taking in everything that you won't even be in your room except to sleep. Have a great time and welcome to the world of cruising!!
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You will find that the cabins are laid out very well and you will have plenty of room for your things. The cabin is about 160 sq. ft.. That would be like a 16'x10' bedroom.

I wouldn't worry too much about seasickness. If you don't get sick in a car or on a small boat then there is very little chance you will get sick on the ship. If you are prone to motion sickness then Meclizine (Bonine) is a good preventative. You must take it "before" become sick. Ginger is a good remedy if you do become queasy.

I know you'll have a good time. Go and enjoy the ship and ports.

Have fun,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The amount of time you are in your cabin other than for sleeping, is small. As a first time cruiser, I can bet you will be out and about most of the day, enjoying and taking it all in. You will see how easy it is to adapt to small spaces, once you stow all your baggage. The amount of people we hear suffering from sea sickness, has dramatically gone down, over the years it seems.

I can bet you will be smiling from ear to ear, and if we can help you with anything else, just give us a shout

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 7th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Beginner

Hi, Thanks so very much to all of you who replied. I feel so much better!!
I will be sure to let you know how it goes..Thanks also for your welcome, i will be visiting this site often in the next 48 days and counting!!
Mary
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Admiral

1st thing... welcome & have a good cruise!!
Just to put an alternate point of view, I think the only people who say they only use their cabin for sleeping & getting changed are those that have inside cabins on "Z" deck!! Some always get sick, most never do. As for the ship moving, it is a ship after all so there will be some sensation of movement, it's only to be expected, most rather like it. Have you looked at dress codes? Are you aware of the expected tipping policy?
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Welcome to the best cruise site on the internet
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

The inside cabins are the same size as outside cabins on most lower categories.
Your TV is your window, just turn on the channel with the ships camera showing the outside forward or Resort deck views
Advantage of inside cabins, black out at day and night, great for sleeping.
The Plaza deck is my favorite, lowest to water line for smoother cruising and fewest cabins of any decks.
Less chance of hearing the drunks singing in the corridors, while stumbling to their cabin and laughing about nothing at 2 AM.
Also, on Princess, The mid ship bar brews fresh coffee in the mornings, plus to-go cups with lids.
The Horizon Court (BUFFET) on upper deck has coffee made from syrup.

Second benefit is not using the elevators during the evenings, you can go up or down 1-deck to all entertainment in the evenings.
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Captain

You'll be fine! I sail inside cabins alot, because I travel alone and have to pay double for a single room. Considering what I call the price of a window, outside isn't worth it if you want to save money! Just my opinion, of course, but the size of the cabin doesn't change when they add the window!

I always turn the TV channel to the web cam views, in fact, I leave it on all the time when I wake up in the morning, I can see the weather outside!
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Familiar Face

We are cruising Oct 17th with an inside cabin. we have had outside, obstructed view and balcony. We find that we really are hardly in the cabin. We spend most of our time on the deck. That has been the case for the balcony cabins also.
I can only speak personally for ourselves and not for others. Whatever you decide, enjoy the experience.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:00 AM
First Mate

Welcome to the very best cruise site. The inside cabin is about 160 square feet, so you will have plenty of room. I think you will be to busy with everything that goes on to really notice. You just have a great time on your first cruise.
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default space

I have been in all sizes, inside, outside, balcony, suites, pent house suites, girl you are hardly ever in the cabin other to sleep, dress for dinner or to use your own bathroom and we have had up to 4 people in some of these cabins and we also had our luggage and there is always space to store your belongings, we stuck all our suit cases under the beds stacked them inside one another, after we emptied them. I always take a few extra hangers for the closet it seems they never have enough tho but again we travel some times with 4 people
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Congratulations on your first cruise. You were wise to choose an inside cabin, as they are a great way to save money for other things like fancy umbrella drinks, the spa, and so on. Don't worry at all about motion sickness, but if it will make you feel better, bring along some Ginger root supplements just in case. They will help without side effects. Unless the seas are particularly rough due to bas weather, the large ships today are very stable. Have a great cruise.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess