CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Princess 10 day RT Ft Lauderdale/Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/376173-princess-10-day-rt-ft-lauderdale-panama-canal.html)

worthew8 August 16th, 2010 07:00 PM

Princess 10 day RT Ft Lauderdale/Panama Canal

Can anyone give me pro's and con's?

Thanks in advance.

Sweet Sailing!

Trip August 16th, 2010 07:17 PM

My thinking.....all pro's, no cons...:) Enjoy!

Lakers Fan August 16th, 2010 07:38 PM

We are doing that trip but with HAL

worthew8 August 16th, 2010 07:41 PM

I like the way you think, Trip, :D. Am looking at an April cruise, never been.

Any cruise is a good cruise... as long as you can sail with the waves.

Fern August 16th, 2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthew8 (Post 1310030)
Can anyone give me pro's and con's?

Thanks in advance.

Sweet Sailing!

The only thing that could make it better is if it was 14 days (or more!) :).

No con's as far as I'm concerned.

RichC August 17th, 2010 03:59 PM

You at least get to see how the locks work although sailing all the way through the canal is interesting if you have the time. We were all the way through the canal 2 times & did a partial 1 time because it was something different than cruising the Caribbean again & again. It does save on air fare & gives you a view of the canal workings.

CruzNut August 17th, 2010 05:08 PM

Definitely no cons - I've done it 3 times on the Island and will be doing it for the 4th time this November on the Coral. Have also done a trans canal.

If you book the Ferry shore excursion, you'll be taken all the way over to the Pacific Ocean through the other 2 locks so it's just as good as a trans canal ... better cuz you don't have to do a long plane ride. Plus you get an entirely different perspective of the locks from the ferry. I'm not big on shore excursions but I continue to rave about this one.

DeepSpace August 18th, 2010 02:00 AM

Great cruise, you can never go wrong with a Panama Canal cruise. Have a great trip.

worthew8 September 9th, 2010 04:51 PM

Thanks Cruznut!

Your post convinced me. I'm looking forward to the shore excursion that takes you all the way through the canal, and, the round-trip saves me airfare.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Coral when you get back, as well as any excursions you took in Columbia and Costa Rica (if you go there).

Have an awesome cruise and thanks for the advice!

nlb1050 September 9th, 2010 08:19 PM

The ferry excursion is FANTASTIC!. We went when we were on a cruise with MSC and will never forget that excursion, but you must do it thru the cruise line since it can take much longer than the stated time. When we went there were 300 from the ship on it and we were 3 hours late getting back to the ship but of course it waited for us.

I would to it again in a heart beat.

LisaK September 10th, 2010 08:45 AM

nope, no cons, plenty of pros! the Panama Canal is a must do, it is an awe inspiring engineering masterpiece, it is almost impossible to comprehend how this project was done over 100 years ago.

Truck Cruiser September 11th, 2010 04:46 AM

Great cruise, did it last December but stay on ship at Cartegena as we felt very unsafe there!!

worthew8 September 11th, 2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser (Post 1315952)
Great cruise, did it last December but stay on ship at Cartegena as we felt very unsafe there!!

What did you do there and why did you feel unsafe?