Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Beginner

Talking Shore excursions Hawaii/ Coffee Card

Hi there,

I'm a first time cruiser travelling in Sept on the Golden Princess Hawaii Cruise

I've a couple of issues that i'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me on

Firstly , i am wondering would anyone recommend booking shore excursion through the cruise line , or to hire a car and do trips ourselves or thirdly , are there excursion options onshore when we reach land. Any suggestions would be great

Secondly on a totally different note , i've read in places that theres a coffee card available on the ship but i cant seem to get a definitive answer on what exactly this card cost and what it gets me, is any coffee free or do you need the card for all coffee in all places? Does it just cover speciality coffees?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by akka168 View Post
Hi there,

I'm a first time cruiser travelling in Sept on the Golden Princess Hawaii Cruise

I've a couple of issues that i'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me on

Firstly , i am wondering would anyone recommend booking shore excursion through the cruise line , or to hire a car and do trips ourselves or thirdly , are there excursion options onshore when we reach land. Any suggestions would be great

Secondly on a totally different note , i've read in places that theres a coffee card available on the ship but i cant seem to get a definitive answer on what exactly this card cost and what it gets me, is any coffee free or do you need the card for all coffee in all places? Does it just cover speciality coffees?

Thanks for your help.
1 - My wife and I have booked both through Princess and private vendors with no problems. I understand you may can save some money by booking with the private excursions if you do some research. We are doing both this year on our New England / Canada cruise; have not been to the islands - yet..

2 - I understand the coffee card is about $25-30 for 15 punches. Each special coffee is a punch and the fresh brewed coffee is free and unlimited as long as you still have one punch left. Regular coffee is free in the dining areas, I understand it may not be the best.

Have a great trip!

Don

Don and Teresa

https://sites.google.com/site/nctraveler54/
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Beginner

Default Thanks

Thanks v much for that info Don
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Admiral

On our Alaska cruise last May . the coffee card was good up to the last day for brewed coffee even there where no punches left. The cards change slightly every cruise , so you couldn't use it on another ship or cruise.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:38 AM
Captain

I got the coffee card on the Golden in March/April to Hawai.

Coffee Card is a punch card. you get 15 specialty coffee drinks for
$24.00 + a 15% gratuity. Mine has punches left and I was told I could use it on my next cruise. Which will be in April.

Pretty nice deal. And the International Cafe is awesome for breakfast and lunch. Fresh donuts and pastry in the morning. And fresh baked cookies come out at 11am. Which is also when the lunch selections come out. Wonderful salads, panini's and quiches. We loved going there.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Captain

On Oahu I love Enoa tours. They have a wonderful Royal Circle Island tour. About the same price as the tour Princess offers. But twice as long and you see so much more of the island. Enjoy! If you rent a car and drive around the island stop for lunch on the North Shore at Giovanni's Famous Shrimp truck. 3 types of shrimp and 2 scoop rice. Lemon Butter, Scampi or Hot and the Hot is Hot... Locals love it. And Another place to eat is Puka Dogs at the back of the International Market Place. We saw it on the Food Network and Travel channel. Awesome. And for a treat stop at Leonards Bakery for Hot Malasada's ... Yum-O.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose