Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default WiFi on Island Princess

We're sailing on the Island Princess this February and have a couple of wifi questions. We've always paid to use the computers on board to check emails and connect with pet-sitters at home. If we take our own lap top or notebook will we still have to pay to connect to our email at home? If so, how does this rate compare to using the ships computers? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Just curious ,what is the need for having a computer on a vacation ,what did people do in pre computer days ?
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Familiar Face

Only use the computer to keep in touch with person who is house/pet sitting. We have 6 cats, some not so young, and it's a way to answer any questions that may arise. We definitely don't work on vacation.
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
We're sailing on the Island Princess this February and have a couple of wifi questions. We've always paid to use the computers on board to check emails and connect with pet-sitters at home. If we take our own lap top or notebook will we still have to pay to connect to our email at home? If so, how does this rate compare to using the ships computers? Thanks.
Whether you use your comp or the ship's comp, you will still be paying the same rate for internet access 'aboard ship'.

Using in port may be a different story, depending on country, carrier, and internet access.

For peace of mind, I purchase the ship's internet access (Princess has wifi in the cabins, as well as public areas). You can use your minutes on their computers or yours. You can swap back and forth, for the same price. It is not cheaper to bring your own computer, there is only the convenience to using your own comp where (on ship) you prefer. Of course, you must imagine the ones who didn't bring their own laptop, who would like to use the ship's 'supplied' computers in the Internet Cafe. Sea Days can be pretty busy. Using your own comp at your leisure will allow access when others can't.

Be prepared for a slower connection though. The ship's internet is by satellite, even when in good reception.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by worthew8; September 20th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
Whether you use your comp or the ship's comp, you will still be paying the same rate for internet access 'aboard ship'.

Using in port may be a different story, depending on country, carrier, and internet access.

For peace of mind, I purchase the ship's internet access (Princess has wifi in the cabins, as well as public areas). You can use your minutes on their computers or yours. You can swap back and forth, for the same price. It is not cheaper to bring your own computer, there is only the convenience to using your own comp where (on ship) you prefer. Of course, you must imagine the ones who didn't bring their own laptop, who would like to use the ship's 'supplied' computers in the Internet Cafe. Sea Days can be pretty busy. Using your own comp at your leisure will allow access when others can't.

Be prepared for a slower connection though. The ship's internet is by satellite, even when in good reception.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the info. My husband was going to invest in a notebook, thinking it would also save us money on the cruise, so maybe we'll rethink that. We just use it to check in with the house/cat sitter.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Admiral

The rate for WIFI or the use on the ship computers is the same . It doesn't matter whether you use yours or theirs. A couple of sites are free with out any charges.
I found having my own laptop is that I was able to choose where I wanted to use my laptop. Unless there is a change during the current refit , WiFi was not available thru out the ship. The Atrium, library and card room had WiFi in them.:razz:

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess