Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Beginner

Question Any tips or suggestions, please? -- Princess Ruby

I am on the Nov 21 Princess Ruby cruise, and looking for any tips and/or suggestions that experienced cruisers might be willing to share, please.

It has been 10 years since my last cruise, and this is my first with Princess. This will be my husband's first cruise and he is rather skeptical--I really hope he enjoys the experience. I find the Princess website...not very helpful. So, I thought I would turn to the experts!

I do have a few questions, if anyone is willing to answer, please.

1) Can sealed water bottles be taken aboard? If so, is there a limit to how many? For example, can I take a case of water aboard?

2) Can sealed bottles of soda be taken aboard? Or, do you recommend the daily soda pass; is that a separate item that I need to purchase?

3) Do you recommend any of the "extra" restaurants?

Any other tips, suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Talking Tips

1) You can take water or soda on board. But why? Lugging a case of soda aboard to save a few bucks? Putting it through security, reclaiming it, hauling it how? Not worth it to me. There is usually a soda pass for the full trip, and if you drink a lot of sodas it can be worth it.

2) We LOVE Sabatini's on Princess! It is something we would not miss. For a nice pic from Sabatini's and a link to the menu, check out our review and pics at Sapphire Princess Cruise Review

3) My all purpose tip for cruising: READ everything so you know all the wonderful things you can do! Then relax and let the staff pamper you.

Have a GREAT cruise!
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually, the tap water is pretty good onboard, just bring a bottle to re-fill as needed and your cabin attendant will keep you supplied with ice if you ask for it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Admiral

We took steel water bottles - you can take them through airport security empty - and filled them on the lido deck. It was nice to carry ice water in port.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Actually, the tap water is pretty good onboard, just bring a bottle to re-fill as needed and your cabin attendant will keep you supplied with ice if you ask for it.
I've seen people re-fill their water bottles at the buffet coffee / water stations. To me, this seems really unsanitary. People put the edge of the bottle right up to where the water comes out? GROSS!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Refilling bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair View Post
I've seen people re-fill their water bottles at the buffet coffee / water stations. To me, this seems really unsanitary. People put the edge of the bottle right up to where the water comes out? GROSS!
We refill our bottles in the cabin and put them in the refrigerator overnight. Many ships have signs at the buffet asking people to please NOT fill their water bottles there.
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Admiral

We used said water and ice - but used cups to do the filling. The DW has far too much food safety training to let me act like the Neanderthal I am.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
First Mate

I've seen the signs asking people not to refill there - but people don't care!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Beginner

Smile Thanks!

Thank you for the great responses!

As for why I would take water bottles onto the ship with me...I am taking medical equipment that requires distilled water.

Then, I figure if I am taking the water bottles, I may as well take the soda of my choosing, as well.

We'll definitely try out Sabatini's, thanks for the recommendation!
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Familiar Face

We just returned last month from a 16 day cruise on the Ruby Princess from Venice, Italy to Ft. Lauderdale. The ship was very confusing to get around at first but you will get use to it. Did not try to pay extra restaurants as there was no need to with all the places to eat free. Two dining rooms for free style dining and one for the Traditional Dining which we prefer. There is a great pizza bar, ice cream bar but try the Italian ice cream for three scoops for $1.50 served on a chilled plate at the International cafe. It is great!!! Also a hamburger & hot dog bar. The productions show are good but were only 3 on the 16 day cruise. The rest of the shows were magicians, singers and comedians.
A great small theater with some great shows also. Movies were shown outdoors on the big screen and almost daily in the Princess Theater in the afternoons. The same films you can see on pay per view or rent now. We found the food in the buffet on deck 16 cold each time we tried for breakfast there but the lunch and evening meals were good.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Admiral

We got off Ruby last Sunday. Had a great cruise. The Chef's Table was amazing. Someone already mentioned the Gelato from the International Cafe. Make sure you try their breakfast sandwiches too...much better than the Horizon Court.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Distilled water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet23 View Post
Thank you for the great responses!

As for why I would take water bottles onto the ship with me...I am taking medical equipment that requires distilled water.

Then, I figure if I am taking the water bottles, I may as well take the soda of my choosing, as well.

We'll definitely try out Sabatini's, thanks for the recommendation!
Aha! I use a CPAP machine and normally use distilled water in the humidifier. However, for the course of a voyage I just fill it with the tap water, which is usually pretty low in minerals. At least some of it is desalinated by the ship itself. By the end of a long cruise I will have a slight crust in the humidifier but a rinse with vinegar takes care of that easily.

If you have other sorts of needs for distilled water, have your travel agent contact ship's services in advance and they can normally see that you have a supply in the cabin.

Distilled water, of course, is different from normal bottled water, which in fact usually has a high mineral content!