Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Preferred boarding pass'

What do you have to do to get a preferred boarding pass and what does it entile someone too?
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Talking Preferred boarding pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlk View Post
What do you have to do to get a preferred boarding pass and what does it entile someone too?
Well, I think on Princess, as on other lines, if you register online and print out your boarding pass it says in pretty letters "Preferred Boarding Pass." That means that you get to get in the long line right away instead of stopping at one of their little tables to fill out your documents in the terminal.

Most lines, at most ports, (nothing is ever absolute in the cruise business) have a preferred line for suite passengers. Often the most travelled of past passengers (Elite on Princess) also get to use this line, as well as the handicapped. It is usually much shorter than the regular line.

BUT -- what I have noticed is that the short line has only one or two agents serving it, while the long line has as many as 20 or so agents serving it. So it moves up to 10 times as fast as the short line!! On a couple of occasions we have "raced" with our less privileged cruisemates -- and guess what, long line or short line we both arrived at the photographer at the same time!

Check in is really not a big deal. Even the long line usually moves rapidly. Don't sweat it.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Admiral

To get the Preferred Boarding Pass, you have to have sailed with Princess for 5 times and on the 6th when you become Platinum, you get the special pass which allows you to enter at the Preferred area rather than the other long line (mostly outside).

You go in and through the x-ray check and are seated until it's time for boarding when the Preferred people are let in. The others have to wait until this has occurred.

From the 6th cruise on you get this treatment ... also if you are a Suite passenger (not mini-suite).

As far as filling out papers that's all done online through Cruise Personalizer and you must do that to be able to print out any Boarding Pass before the sailing date ... and your luggage tags are now printed online by you.

If you board later in the afternoon (I get on before noon), you'd be able to get on about the same time as Preferred - but not early boarding.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks, I just printed our boarding pass' and they say preferred. I just don't understand why Princess would send our travel agent an "Emergency Boarding Notification" saying we could not board until 2:30 (ship leaves at 4:30pm when we always get on around 11:30am. They have pushed back the times to board based on the deck your on, "unless you have preferred boarding", needless to say our boarding pass says we do, so they could have avoided much concern and the need for rearrangement of transportation, if they had not sent this notice in the first place.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:08 PM
Admiral

rtlk - are you a Platinum traveler or have you booked a suite to get Preferred ... or have the rules changed?

Even if you hadn't received the Preferred Boarding Pass, I would still have gone over at your regular 11:30 time. Surprised your TA would have passed on that dictum to you ... Princess might want to board by decks but that doesn't mean you have to go along with them IMO.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Angry rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut View Post
Even if you hadn't received the Preferred Boarding Pass, I would still have gone over at your regular 11:30 time. Surprised your TA would have passed on that dictum to you ... Princess might want to board by decks but that doesn't mean you have to go along with them IMO.[/COLOR]
This is one of the things that annoys me about the Travel industry. They make all these "rules" and "policies" and then fail to enforce them. Our experience has been that whatever the cruise line says, they have their personnel in place and let everybody push into line at 11:30. My opinion is that this places the cooperative rule abiding people in the disadvantage and allows the pushy rule ignorers the advantage. Naturally, over the years, this has had the effect of turning me, along with many many others such as CruzNut, into rule ignorers!

Now there is a caveat on this particular question. On our last cruise, NCL out of Los Angeles, apparently Customs and Immigration held the ship up for a long time and the final passengers did not disembark until after 2 PM. So the entire group of boarding passengers were crammed into departure lounges designed to hold maybe half of them, or just left standing in a loooong line outside. It may be that your cruise line has experienced similar delays in the past and thus is warning people.

Are you on a mega ship? As the ships get bigger and bigger and more and more passengers try to check in during a 3 hour window, this problem will become more and more intense. Boarding by decks is an interesting concept.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
First Mate

It sounds to me like Princess could be making some extra dollars by selling "Priority Boarding Passes" to anyone willing to pay the price. Say $10 per head for the privilege of by passing the long lines.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
This is one of the things that annoys me about the Travel industry. They make all these "rules" and "policies" and then fail to enforce them. Our experience has been that whatever the cruise line says, they have their personnel in place and let everybody push into line at 11:30. My opinion is that this places the cooperative rule abiding people in the disadvantage and allows the pushy rule ignorers the advantage. Naturally, over the years, this has had the effect of turning me, along with many many others such as CruzNut, into rule ignorers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post

Now there is a caveat on this particular question. On our last cruise, NCL out of Los Angeles, apparently Customs and Immigration held the ship up for a long time and the final passengers did not disembark until after 2 PM. So the entire group of boarding passengers were crammed into departure lounges designed to hold maybe half of them, or just left standing in a loooong line outside. It may be that your cruise line has experienced similar delays in the past and thus is warning people.

Are you on a mega ship? As the ships get bigger and bigger and more and more passengers try to check in during a 3 hour window, this problem will become more and more intense. Boarding by decks is an interesting concept.

This is a RULE - since when. No, I don't break RULES and no I don't push in front of others. I asked the poster if he were Platinum or Suite. I happen to be Elite class and have priority embarkation which means we can board early ... as can Platinum or Suite.

There is no way ahead of time that a ship can know if they will be delayed in disembarking the prior cruise passengers so you citing the NCL case has nothing to do with boarding early for priority passengers.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Talking Breaking rules

Hey, CruzNut, no offense meant.

When is a RULE not a RULE? You said, "Princess might want to board by decks but that doesn't mean you have to go along with them IMO." I pointed out that, like you, I tend to ignore the printed information sent out in advance (RULE? Well, let's not argue about that) because the cruise lines do not enforce their own, ummm, "REQUEST" ...

Now if the cruise lines DID make a rule that holders of boarding pass #XXX CANNOT board before 2 PM, and if they would ENFORCE that rule, I would be happy to accept my fair place. But until they do, I will be there at 11:30 on the dot.

I also said, "It may be that the cruise line has experienced similar delays in the past." Of course nobody can predict what Customs will do ... but if it is regularly happening it is not a bad idea to let passengers know that.

Arriving at 11:30 to board NCL in LA turned out to be a disaster. Doesn't mean I will change my ways, but does give thought.

And also -- we are also Elite on Princess. Rarely seen any advantage to it. Nobody boards until the ship is ready. Then it seems they have one or two agents processing 100 suite and elite pax, and 20 or 30 agents processing the regular pax ...so I am not sure who wins the race.

But -- if you, or the OP, or anybody else, covets being in a "special preferred" line ... go ahead and work on it! Doesn't hurt me, doesn't hurt your fellow pax ... so enjoy! See you at the buffet!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Old January 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM
First Mate

I've always found that the preferred boarding pass does nothing at all unless (like on one trip) we arrived at 12:20 PM & there was a real long line waiting outside the terminal #2 in Ft Lauderdale & we could walk by the whole line to enter upon arrival. The line that formed at the priority counter inside the terminal was moving at the same rate as all the others so that didn't offer any advantage. This was the only time a priority boarding pass actually did any good. Arrive at the terminal early enough or very late and the regular boarding is almost the same.
At one time they did have a door for priority boarding so not to have the regular passengers see you cutting in front of them which I think was a much better option but in the last year or so has been eliminated.