Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Captain

Smile First Cruise

My wife and I wil be going on are first cruise in March.(ya).It will be a 14 day cruise to hawaii on the sapphire prince.I just Have a couple Questions the travel agent is pushing pretty hard for us to get Travel insurance we declined is this something we should have or just awast of money?My other Question is I have looking at alot of cruise lines and have noticed quit a diffrence in pricing are you getting what you pay for or are they all the same or just a matter of prefrenice?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In my opinion the insurance is a MUST. There are so many things that can go wrong and affect your trip. Hopefully none of them will, and you'll feel like you wasted the money. But if they did, the result could be financially devastating.

If you decline the insurance you are SELF INSURING. In the event of a medical emergency, or even the need for a medical evacuation from the ship, the resulting costs would be YOUR responsibility!!

Now as far as the differences in ships and pricing, it's more difficult to describe in one message board post. The lines all have different strengths and different weaknesses. All the major cruise lines will get you to and from your destination in relative comfort.

The differences are in how they do it. The best way to determine which line suits you is to research the various cruise lines here at CruiseMates , both in our reviews and on our message boards, and deal with a qualified cruise travel agent. The fact that your agent encouraged you to purchase insurance gives me faith that this TA should be qualified to help describe the different lines.

We are doing a CruiseMates group on the Sapphire Princess, sailing Feb. 26. I'll be writing a daily Virtual Cruise Report live from the ship for the entire 14 days. You'll be able to read along right here on the site, to get a feel for what you may expect.

If throughout you have any questions you'd like answered, you'll be able to post them, and I'll do my very best to give you accurate answers.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'd never go on a cruise without getting travel insurance. It is a small price to pay in case things that can happen which you have no control over, especially a cruise to Hawaii. Play it safe and get it. There are many companies out there that sell it, just check around and find the right one for you, but do get it....

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Admiral

first off we love cruise newbies here at CruiseMates!. Your travel agent is so right to push you into getting travel insurance, its a small price to pay for peace of mind and pocketbook if something happens, we always get trip cancellation/interuption, medical evacuation, and baggage insurance. As for the pricing issue there just so many variables that its like comparing apples to oranges, if you see your EXACT cruise offered for less than your ta got you, bring it to her attention, most times they will meet or beat on-line offers
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
My wife and I will be going on are first cruise in March.(ya).It will be a 14 day cruise to Hawaii on the sapphire prince.I just Have a couple Questions the travel agent is pushing pretty hard for us to get Travel insurance we declined is this something we should have or just a waste of money?My other Question is I have looking at alot of cruise lines and have noticed quit a difference in pricing are you getting what you pay for or are they all the same or just a matter of preference?
Dhill,

First off: Buy the insurance. The main reason is in the event you become sick or injured on board the costs could go into six figures, if you need to be evacuated. The only way off the ship in the middle of an ocean is by helicopter and that isn't cheap.

The cancellation portion of the insurance helps if you do have to cancel the cruise after final payment but losing the money you spent for the cruise won't break you but having to pay $100,000 + for an accident, illness or injury may.

In regard to the different cruise lines and pricing: The different cruise lines offer a similar but different product. The activities, amenities, decor and many other things differ by cruise line. Finding the one that fits you is the tricky part. I personally can enjoy just about any cruise line.

The pricing can vary based on popularity of itinerary, how full the ship is and a number of other things. Usually, the luxury lines are the most expensive and you will usually receive a much higher level of service and food quality on these ships. Think of a Five Star Resort vs. a Four Star Hotel. Depending on all the factors a Premium cruise line such as Celebrity or Princess can be less expensive than a cruise on Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

There are people who will pay more to sail on a Premium or Luxury line but there are just as many people who are happier on a mass market line such as Carnival. The product is a good one as is Princess. They are just different in the areas I explained.

Princess is a good choice for a first cruise. It is a bit more laid back then Carnival or Royal Caribbean but not dead or boring. If you find you want something a bit different on your next cruise you can research it and find the line that gives you what you are looking for.

Take care and feel free to ask all the questions you need to.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Many of us use a web site called Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com that allows you to review a number of different insurance options. You might want to look here before making a decision.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
First Mate

I won't go on a trip without it. Certain credit cards offer some free vacation protection, but I always purchase more. This is very important to me for the bigger, more costly trips, like Alaska or Hawaii.

Here's a link of what Princess offers.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pd...Protection.pdf

Old January 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just adding my two cents to the great info already given.Don't consider inurance a choice, consider it as part of your cruise fare. Your peace of mind, is well worth the price. Knowing someone who's Mom had to have a med flight... The value of this insurance is priceless!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Insurance and pricing

Quote:
My wife and I wil be going on are first cruise in March.(ya).It will be a 14 day cruise to hawaii on the sapphire prince.I just Have a couple Questions the travel agent is pushing pretty hard for us to get Travel insurance we declined is this something we should have or just awast of money?My other Question is I have looking at alot of cruise lines and have noticed quit a diffrence in pricing are you getting what you pay for or are they all the same or just a matter of prefrenice?
Cruise insurance is a very complicated topic. First of all you have to understand that there are two different components that are referred to as "cruise insurance.'

The first component is trip cancellation insurance. Most cruise lines have increasing penalties for cancelling your cruise. In most cases after 75 to 60 days before sailing the penalties kick in, from as little as 10-20% at first, to as much as 50% a couple of weeks before sailing, and the total price of the cruise within the last week or few days. Insurance to cover cancellation during this time is quite expensive. Policies also vary. Some cover only restricted reasons such as illness. More expensive policies cover cancellation for any reason. Some cruise lines have policies that provide coverage but not in cash, only in the form of future cruise credits.

Now of course, as with any insurance, you have to ask yourself how much you can afford to self insure. If you live in LA and have paid $399 to cruise from Long Beach, maybe you can just take the risk of something happening. OTOH if you are flying from NYC to California and then cruising to Hawaii and spending $5,000 to $10,000 or more for the trip, that may be more money than you feel you can take a chance on losing. On this type of insurance you roll the dice. Sometimes we take it, sometimes we don't.

The other portion of cruise insurance is medical. The cost of medical treatment on board ship, medical evacuation from the ship, medical treatment in a foreign country, and medical evacuation to a US hospital, can be crushing. It can easily run $20,000 to $40,000 and on up from there. Chances are that your personal medical policy will not cover it. This is the type of insurance that we ALWAYS buy. Although it is usually bundled with the cancellation insurance, it is also available separately.

Now your TA is giving you fairly good advice. The TA undoubtedly knows how irate a customer can get when they find out they can't get a refund because their dog got sick or a good customer needed their attention or their relatives decided to come visit. It certainly protects the TA from the customer's ire to be able to tell them, "No problem, your cancellation insurance covers it!" But it can also provide the customer with great peace of mind.

Bottom line: Get the medical insurance. Then consider the risks versus the costs and decide if you can afford to roll the dice on the cruise cancellation.

As far as differences in pricing on different cruise lines, you will usually find that within a category prices are pretty similar for similar cabins on similar cruises on similar dates. In general RCI, Carnival and NCL are considered mainline; Princess, HAL and Celebrity are considered upscale; and lines like Seabourn and Crystal are considered luxury. In addition, small ship cruise lines are a separate category. Do you get more on Seabourn and Crystal? Undoubtedly! Is it worth the large difference in price? EHHHH ... maybe.

Now there are My Arrogant Opinions (my Opinions are never Humble). YMMV.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default First Cruise

Was there a special reason to pick the middle of spring break for your FIRST cruise? I hope you are party animals. Pools and hot tubs will be packed. Second week of April is ideal. All the students are broke and back in school.
I have been on 15 cruises and never bought insurance or needed it. Have a great cruise. You weather should be wonderful at that time or year.
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Question Spring Break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
Was there a special reason to pick the middle of spring break for your FIRST cruise? I hope you are party animals. Pools and hot tubs will be packed. Second week of April is ideal. All the students are broke and back in school.
I have been on 15 cruises and never bought insurance or needed it. Have a great cruise. You weather should be wonderful at that time or year.
By and large I don't think that a 14 day cruise to Hawaii will be very much impacted by Spring Break. It is mostly the 4 to 7 day Caribbeans that become party cruises during that time. 14 days is too long and too expensive to attract most of the party crowd.

Congrats on never needing your insurance. We have been on 40 cruises and only had two minor claims, once for stolen baggage and once for expenses of missing the ship at embarkation. We have spent a lot of money and gotten little back. Exactly the same can be said for our homeowner's insurance and our car insurance. That doesn't mean we do without them. It is always necessary to balance the risk and the expense.

Old February 24th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am getting married in September and of course my fiance are starting our honeymoon search. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise, but love our boating life. Our major concern is if we go on a cruise we are going to have a schedule and I'm not real sure that's what we really want. This might be a misconception. Do any of you have any input on this? Would you recommend we take our first cruise sometime other than our honeymoon? I appreciate all input.

thank you!
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

SMB, you can do what you want and when you want,and have no schedule if that is your preference. Ships, now have anytime dining.....each line calls it something else,and there are pay dining venues, as well....so you select your dining times.

Entertainment at night, is off course scheduled, so you would need to dine around it, to see the shows, when they are scheduled.

If you decide to book a ship excursion, vs walking off the ship and taking a tour there, then you need to be where you need to be

Pretty much, you do what you do, when you want to do it

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 24th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

"Scheduling" on a cruise is very much a misperception - especially these days.

Almost (all) all ships have open seating anytime dining, and if you dont want that you can eat in other places. Dress codes are optional depending on where you eat (lets just say it is easy to avoid getting formal if that is not your "cup of tea.")

You can always get room service (included in the cruise fare).

Sea days give you a variety of optional activities - or you just gamble, rad a book, watch a movie, swim, work out or whatever.

Days in port you can just walk off the ship or you can get a tour of any kind - your choice.

The fact is that most people who try cruising end up saying "if we had known it was like this we would have started years ago."
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Admiral

For the insurance you have to ask yourself a couple of questions....am I willing to lose the money paid for the cruise if something happens before I go. And secondly, what happens if you get sick? fall? need to leave the ship.

Both my husband and I are covered for medical anywhere around the globe so sometimes, I don't get extra insurance. It all depends on how much I'm willing to lose.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Admiral

TP,
How about if you or your wife need to be medivac'd off a ship? I know my health insurance will not cover anything like that, and it can cost thousands. That is one of the main reasons I always travel with travel insurance....

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Admiral

It includes Medivac. It's an awesome policy.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Familiar Face

I know this is totally off topic but I will see you on the ship as I got hired as Purser on that ship and I will said March 12. So hope to see you on board.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosli View Post
I know this is totally off topic but I will see you on the ship as I got hired as Purser on that ship and I will said March 12. So hope to see you on board.
WoW thats pretty cool Well have to look you up Ill bet you are pretty excited! Now its time for the dumb question of the day are you ready? What does the Purser do on the ship?
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Question Purser

Quote:
WoW thats pretty cool Well have to look you up Ill bet you are pretty excited! Now its time for the dumb question of the day are you ready? What does the Purser do on the ship?
Well, if he is actually THE Purser, he is a very senior officer in charge of all the administrative and financial matters on the ship.

I suspect he is a Jr. Asst. Purser, who are mostly the people who staff the Customer Service desk and take care of things like making copies, selling stamps and answering questions.

Still pretty cool.

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Admiral

The purser will also be the one to cash your travelers checks if you use them and need cash for them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Since you aree going in March . I presume that you mean March 2011 .
Cruise Line insurance is no longer avaiable for thr cruise , to close to the trip.
Most insurance companies will only insure for trip interruption and medical .
Most insurance policies other then medical usually have to be bought before or at the same time as final payment is made . :eek:

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Admiral

I've read you can buy travel insurance right up to the vacation...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Medical can be bought right up to the day before.
Trip cancellation before or 72 hrs after final payment .
This is based on canadian travel insurance.:neutral:

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Cruise insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
Since you aree going in March . I presume that you mean March 2011 .
Cruise Line insurance is no longer avaiable for thr cruise , to close to the trip.
Most insurance companies will only insure for trip interruption and medical .
Most insurance policies other then medical usually have to be bought before or at the same time as final payment is made . :eek:
Travel Insurance is an amazingly complex business. It is not wise to make any sort of general statements, because there are policies of all sorts available out there. You can buy policies for specific trips, or policies for an entire year. You can buy policies that give cash back on cancellation or simply a future cruise credit. You can buy policies with varying levels of coverage for trip delay, baggage loss, and medical situations. You can buy policies with hot line help in many countries, including translation services.

You can buy the policy at the same time you make the booking, or buy it later. How much later depends on the policy. In general, policies purchased more than two weeks after booking will have an exclusion for pre-existing conditions, but this does not apply to every policy either!

So the fact is, no advice on this board about what policies might or might not be available or might or might not cover is worth following. The only thing you can do is to investigate different policies for yourself and carefully read all the provisions.

If a cruise line is offering its own insurance, you can simply do it the easy way and buy that. Or you can be sure to ask your Travel Agent about alternatives. If your Travel Agent only offers one alternative, they are not doing a good job for you.

'Tiz a puzzlement. Good luck with making a wise consumer decision.

Old February 28th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Like the poster above said, my position will be Junior Asst Purser or JAP as we call it. Pretty much like the front desk position in the hotel.

Will be my first contract so I am kindda stoked about the new adventure. Well hope to see you on board. Just look me up at the desk.